“Most vile hotel experience ever.”
Review of Hotel Perla

Hotel Perla
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Herceg-Novi
iceland
“Most vile hotel experience ever.”
Reviewed 20 August 2012

I have just got back from our holiday and I am still so very angry. I have never had a worse experience then at this hotel. It began when we checked in, I had booked a double bed but they insisted that since we had a child with us we had to pay for an extra bed and charge us 35% of the room rate for her. She always sleeps with us and I have never had this problem at any other hotel and none of the other hotels we stayed in on this trip either. Dont get me wrong, like I told them, I understand if we ask for an extra bed, that we should pay for it. But we just did not need it and did not ask for it. Anyhow, I asked the girl at the reception to check into it with the manager. When I saw the room and saw it actually had two extra beds, I went down and asked them just to put us in a double room but they said it was the only available room.And that makes it even more puzzling, if they were going to put us in that room anyway, what is the extra cost? So anyhow, just after check in, I went to the bar to ask for a bottle opener, while the bartender was getting it, a waiter started yelling at me, what about I am not sure since he did not do it in english but I take it that I should not ask for things like that. This angered me, I needed it for a minute and did not seem like a big deal at all. What a welcome.
I was not very happy with the room, it had a small balcony facing the back garden so no view at all, it was right next to the back entrance so there was a lot of noise with people coming and going. The only way to drive up to the hotel is via a small street above the hotel, loads of stairs to go up and down and of course no help with luggage. But people constantly use that back door and it was very disturbing.
But things were going from bad to worse. First day we ran out of hot water after half a shower, someone was sent up to check it out, then someone else and someone else who finally decided we had shut off the water heater but we had not touched anything.This also happened on the second day and again we had not touched this switch but they certainly were blaming us for this. It is of great importance to have access to a good shower after a day on the beach but all we got were really evil looks and told to wait so it could heat itself up again. For the 3 of us, it took over 2 hours for us to finish showering and this delayed our evening greatly.
I also asked them to fix the frigde as it was not keeping anything cold, they came up, shrugged their shoulders and said it was fine.No futher efforts were put into it and the frigde remained warm for the rest of our stay.
Internet did not work very well in the room and only in one spot next to the balcony.
Very basic toilettries, smallish bathroom. Cleaning staff was good, things were clean, but they were a bit too good, they threw away a bag we had left on the floor, not anywhere near the trashcan, full of food and gift items. When I asked about this, reception just said it was my problem, they could not do anything.
One evening I asked them to book a tour for me for the next morning. When I got back from dinner, everyone at the front desk had gone, only a security man walking around but I assumed they had booked it since there was no note or message for me telling me different. However, after getting up and ready, I found out there was no tour that day. I really feel like they could have informed me the night before. They only work with one tour company that seem to have only a few tours, mine only went out one day a week for example. I would suggest that if you want to take tours, to book them yourselves on line, the hotel wont be much help really.
It is very pretty on the beach front, you can get towels from reception, and the boulevard in front of the hotel leads to some nice resturants, a pretty walk around. But the hotel is situated pretty far from the old town, taxis are needed and they are 5 euros one way.
The day we checked out, I could not wait to leave. I totally had it with all the trouble at this place and worst of all the attitude of the front desk girls. They were so blatanly rude, even rolling their eyes, making sounds between themselves when they saw us and plain ignoring us when possible. They, of course, made us pay the extra cost for the child, God fobid they would have dropped their silly charge to at least make up for some of the trouble. I had a discussion with the booking site who could not understand why they were doing this petty thing but there was not much they could do about it. By the time we left, they were screaming at us saying they could not care less if we were happy. And I want to make it clear, I was not yelling at them at all so there was no reason for this. Our taxi driver saw the whole thing and could not believe that hotel staff would be treating a customer like this.
These front desk girls were the worst staff I have ever encountered, they totally ruined our Montenegro trip for us and will long be remembered.The owner should reconsider his choice of staff. And I certainly regret every euro for that place, if I had not prepaid, I would have been out of there within minutes since the attitude was bad right from the first.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
23 Thank lisa026

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Hungarian first
  • Serbian first
St Gallen, Sankt Gallen, Switzerland
Reviewed 4 July 2012

Perla, no doubt, is one of the best hotel in Herceg Novi harbor and Kotor Bay. We spent here unforgettable 2 weeks holiday and stayed in apartment in the main building. The hotel staff is exceptionally friendly and helpful. Girls on reception desk are ready to answer all of your questions. The restaurant and beach teams work fast and perfectly. The food and its’ variety is excellent. We took half board (breakfast dinner, both buffets) and were never leaving the restaurant unsatisfied with quality/quantity of food. You can also try numerous restaurants along the Herceg Novi promenade alley.
The hotel has its’ own beach (concrete platform) – ideal entrance to the water for those who can swim, otherwise, or in case you have young children, in order to enter the see you can use the beach of the neighbor hotel (fine pebble). The water in the sea was amazing and relatively clean, sometimes with patches of sea grass at the surface, but without traces of any organic garbage, despite of the fact that huge cruise liners are passing by to Kotor bay few times a day. No rough sea or big waves during whole our stay, because the Bay is naturally fenced from open sea. If you travel by car Herceg Novi is a good starting point to explore the country. There are many remarkable see-sights in Montenegro. The entrance to the hotel’s closed parking is rather troublesome, but I would not call it as a disadvantage of the hotel, because a majority of roads in Montenegro are narrow. The hotel staff used all available means to make the entrance/exit for your car as easy as possible. WIFI was free and available in our room and all public places near main building. Beds are comfortable, bed linen is changed once per 2 days. The perfect place to relax.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Samsazakaz E
michigan
Reviewed 12 June 2012

After driving around Albania and Montenegro for 2 weeks, this was the perfect place to end our vacation. The hotel understands tourism and does it well. It is located on the 7 kilometer promenade that goes into town, with bars and restaurants along the way. However, the restaurant is very good and you can sign up for half board free if you stay for 3 nights or more. Breakfast is always included and it is a nice buffet. You can sit inside the restuarant or out in a covered open air restaurant overlooking Kotor Bay. The view is beautiful. You can get a room with a balcony overlooking the bay, also. Highly recommended! The "beach" is concrete, however they do have padded chairs, umbrellas and ladders into the water.

Room Tip: Turn on the water heater before you take a shower!
2 Thank pointspeaksandpasses
Annecy, France
Reviewed 10 June 2012

We have spent one night in this hotel. The beach is just 10 meters from the hotel, and there is a very nice promenade from the hotel to the old city. The view from the room was just great. Service was good as well. The breakfast is really good, with a nice terrace just up to the beach.
Herceg Novi is to me a very good place to visit the Kotor's area.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
london
Reviewed 9 June 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel as a base for exploring Montenegro. Our room was average in size and very clean. We had a small balcony that overlooked the sea front. The hotel was a 25 minute walk away from the Old Town. As my husband had injured his ankle, we often took the cab into the old town and the journey never cost more than 2 euros. From the bus station, we took the bus to Budva and Kotor, which proved to be easy and cheap. Staff at the hotel were welcoming and helpful. However, there was an incident regarding confusion over a missing item, which was resolved straight away. This wouldn't stop me from staying here again. This hotel was lovely for a relaxing break. We found it too quiet for our liking. If we return to Montenegro, we would stay in Budva or Sven Stefani as it is a bit more livelier.

1 Thank vaishyv
Lancashire
Reviewed 26 May 2012

We stayed at Hotel Perla, perfect location overlooking the Adriatic.We had a standard room which had what I would call Utility furniture. No handles on the cupboards and a rather small bathroom. having said that the room was kept spotlessly clean and we got clean towels daily..

The food was varied but just never hot even when we went down for evening dinner at 7pm prompt the food was lukewarm. Tea and coffe are not included with dinner. They do not do an English Breakfast although there were fried eggs and only occasionally bacon. If you wanted toast.you had to request it. If they want to encourage more British visitors then I think they should review this.

It was very quiet during our visit and although we are in our 50's we would have liked it a bit livelier. We frequented a local bar Splendido's who sold the local draught beer very cheap at 2euros, cocktails 2.80 euros.

Walking along the promenade is a lovely experience and has the best views of the surrounding mountains. To get into town involves a hike of about 20 minutes and is quite a climb.

We took 4 excursions and I would recommend them all. The first was a Kotor Bay tour cost 20 euros and we were out from 10am to 6pm. The cost included a drink of the local brandy, wine, bread, cheese and salad. A stop at the Lady of the Rock. Then onto Perast 1/2 hour. Kotor Old Town 2 hours.

Next excursion a Montenegro tour cost 36 euros with stops at various places such as Cetinje and Lovcen. Scenery was amazing.

3rd Excursion was to Dubrovnik cost 20 euros which was just a transfer which dropped you off at the Old Town and the day was your own. We walked the walls which can be quite steep in places not helped by it being a hot day but worth it for the great views of the City and Harbour.

Finally, and what we thought the best was a visit to Skadar Lake. Cost 46 euros. Took over an hour to get there from H.N. Once on the boat you are given the local brandy and then as much wine as you want plus cheese and donoughts with honey. (Delicious). A trip around the Lake for 2 hours with stunning scenery and lunch in a local restaurant which consisted of soup, bread, salad and a main meal of either fish or meat.Excellent value.

One disappointment to us, the local people who we found quite ignorant, you rarely got a smile from them. They did not seem very courteous to each other either. travelling on the local buses was an eye opener. Bags were put on empty seats leaving passengers having to stand. People sitting on aisle seats so that passengers could not sit down. The buses although very cheap would not have been classed as roadworthy in the UK.. Certainly an experience.

Despite these niggles we had a thoroughly enjoyable time and couldn't believe what a great value holiday it was. We actually had spending money left at the end of our trip.

Room Tip: request a higher floor with sea view
3 Thank dink12Lancashire
Sevenoaks District, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 April 2012

I think the last reviewer - KC2604 - must have got this hotel mixed up with another one. I stayed there in February and didn't see a gym at all, nor do I see one on the website. And the rooms were average in size for a hotel of this price range. Perhaps KC2604 stayed in one of the annexes? But they don't seem to have a gym either.
I liked every aspect of the hotel but was only there for one night. I'm going back next month and will write a fuller review after that.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank heather0012016
Also consider these accommodations in or near Herceg-Novi
Casa del Mare
#4 of 16 in Herceg-Novi
Queen of Montenegro
Queen of Montenegro
#3 of 9 in Becici

Been to Hotel Perla? Share your experiences!