“Lovely hotel, hot stuff at night...”

Best Western Hotel Gloria
Ranked #4 of 11 Subotica B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 July 2014

This time we had to stay 2 nights in Subotica and Gloria is a very convenient hotel as it is at the dead center of the city. The good things about it: excellent persnnel, great breakfast, huge rooms. The tiresome ones: The frame windows are without external shades, so they have to use heavy curtains to shade all the time. Therefore, you need to have all the lights on all day as well. As a second result of this very bad choice (no external blinds) thermal radiation from sunlight gets in your room (especially if it looks south west) and then you also need to have airconditioning on all through the night (which is very unhealthy at least to me). To open the window is not possible as the heavy interior drapes forbid it. All other things are OK and the wi-fi is quick and payless and just on the other side of the small walkway - backyard there stands the clinic to fix your teeth at a very good price. When I mumbled that I knew Sopron Hungary in business with European refixing teeth, I collected the answer that in Subotica you have even lower pricing than Sopron. Maybe it is good idea to check and think about Vojvodina as the area is really lovely, the people are wonderful and your only anxiety should be to check the prientation of your Gloria hotel room...

Room Tip: if it is wintertime take the south west oriented rooms. If it is summer (my bad luck) do not accept...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank KONSTANTINOS M

Reviewed 18 June 2013

Having owned a BestWestern motel in Australia I was shocked with the conditions obviously accepted by BEST Western in Serbia.opened the door to find the carpet in the lounge room covered in the previous guests medication.It gets better.my wife went to use the shower and the door fell off!Then the bar fridge didn't work.Went to make a cuppa as there was a kettle and coffee and tea but alas no cups to drink from! Had to ask reception for fly spray to kill all the flys in the room.Hows this.
Compendium says no toiletries in the room but you can ask for them from reception. Come here if you dare.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Terry L
Reviewed 14 March 2013

We stayed at this hotel for a second time. This time it was a 10 day stay. The reason for our stay was to have dental treatment in the clinic which is 20 meters from the hotel. Although I am reviewing the hotel, I must just praise this dental clinic (Nor Dent) which is absolutely first class and, compared to other countries, very reasonably priced.

The hotel was fine for what we wanted. I agree that a 4 star rating is probably on the high side. The staff are really friendly and very helpful. The room we had was of a good size and the beds were very comfortable. It would be easy to pick on some small things to "complain" about but overall I was happy with the hotel.

The location in the centre of Subotica is perfect. There is not a lot to do in this town but what there is, is close to hand. The price of the room is excellent. The breakfast might not win prizes but is quite adequate. I ordered fried eggs every day and they were nicely cooked.

Recommended to those that are not too demanding.

Room Tip: See my earlier review. Rooms 110 + and rooms 210 + are probably better than rooms with a lower numbe...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank tonycStavanger
Reviewed 6 February 2013

This hotel claims to be a four star hotel, but it`s not. So please don`t mistake my rating as "4-stars" The rooms are fairly large and comfortable. but the bed is way too hard for my taste The bathroom is large and everything works as intended. The smell, that I read about in other reviews before my stay, is still there. But it`s not in any way as massive as it used to be (this was my second stay in Hotel Gloria). There`s an excellent selection of free movie channels and such on the rooms rather small TV, and a Mini-bar with some snacks and booze.My room has a small veranda with two chairs, which is convenient for smokers.Laundry service is excellent, both fast and cheap.. The breakfast is OK with something for every taste, all though the "fresh fruit juice" from the machine is really some chemically tasting sweet water. The supper is a simple option for guests who wants to stay in the hotel in the evening, and it is truly horrible.The nicest thing in this hotel is the staff. They are always friendly and helpful, and complaints are dealt with at once. My conclusion is that his is a.3-star hotel with a 5-star staff.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 January 2013

I have organized a seminar for 30 people in Gloria and I can with certainty say that after organizing 20 seminars in different hotels throughout Serbia, Gloria turned out to be the most enjoyable experience. Cenral location, rooms are very nice and spacious, hotel has a nice intimate atmosphere and food was great, unlike in most hotels. All the stuff members were very helpful and professional

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank OlgaM84
Reviewed 22 October 2012

We have been horse riding in Kelebija. Did not want to stay at Vila Majur as it used to be a good place to stay if you want to do the horse riding. However it got each year worser and worser - lots of dust there. So we had to find some other solution. The hotel recommanded our friend. The photos on the web are what hotel offers. The prices are a little bit higher for the small place as Subotica. Nevertheless it is clean, breakfast is good the staff are friendly. In the room you have possibility to make tea or coffee as there is cattle inside. We took suit -311 it is big enough to accommodate three persons. It is in the centre so you can easily access everything you need. You have also private parking which is free for the hotel guests. It is a little bit hard to find it but as there are a lot of signs you can find it. Also the reception can navigate you if you get lost as they are very kind and ready to help you with anything. There is a park for the kids near the hotel so if you are traveling with the kids there is activity nearby. It lacks the swimming pool.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 October 2012

We stayed in this hotel for 8 nights. We enjoyed it and compared to the prices we pay in northern Europe, it was extremely good value. The rooms have been refurbished and ours was very tastefully decorated. we had a balcony which was small but lovely to sit on when it was hot. Rooms on the 3rd floor do not have a balcony.

Our room was number 210 which is one of the first rooms in the new wing of the hotel. I am told that the rooms up to 209 are in the original part of the hotel and can have problems with a smell of sewerage in the bathroom. Our friends were staying in room 209 and the smell was obnoxious. The hotel staff were helpful in tackling the problem but there efforts did not address the root cause of the problem.

So, if you are in the right room, I think you will really enjoy your stay but in the wrong room it might not be so enjoyable.

The breakfast was fine, with a good selection of food. An omelette or fried eggs could be ordered to supplement the cold foods on offer. The staff were all helpful and friendly. Their English was generally good.

The location of the hotel is perfect. Only one minute to the central square where the fantastic town hall is located. A must is seeing the town hall lit up in the evening. It is really beautiful. I look forward to returning there next year (as long as I get the right room!!). My rating of the hotel is based on our personal experience.

Room Tip: Rooms 110+ and 210+ are probably the best.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends