“Fafa Island escape” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Fafa Island
New Plymouth, New Zealand
“Fafa Island escape”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

High quality relaxation and reasonably priced. We weren't used to converting the Pa'anga to NZ$ and had a pleasant surprise on our return home to find the restaurant costs were not as much as expected. Don't expect a TV or electric kettle in your fale - this small exclusive resort runs off solar power and offers an alternative experience to the run of the mill resorts. The area around the island become a marine reserve in Dec 2013 and already the coral is regenerating and attracting more fish. Great for snorkelling. Plenty to do if you want to, or nothing to do if you want to sit and relax. Best cocktails ever. Snorkelling and whale watch trips in season can be arranged, plus a daily boat to and from the mainland ensures plenty of activities available if the relaxation is more than you can cope with.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KLB_MCB

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

WOW... What a place! If you are looking for an island paradise in Tonga or anywhere in the South Pacific Fafa Island Resort is the place to go! I don't want to give too much away and spoil it for potential guests but I will say everything was exceptional. The only criticism I have is I didn't book a long enough stay! Lol. To Stephanie (owner/manager) and all your team thank you for making me feel so welcome and I truly hope that one day I will return.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank TheTravellingMan1
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

Spending a week on a little island just off the main island in Tonga was the relaxation I needed - I spent most of my time with shoes off, reading in a hammock, or taking in the ocean views. A walk around or through the island was around 20 minutes, and the snorkelling off the island was also great.
The staff were amazing, and learned your name right from arrival. They checked in with me to see that things were all good, and made suggestions about how to see what I wanted to see for my time in Tonga.
I took 2 day trips from the island, and definitely recommend the Sunday tour, which included a church service at the King's church, plus a lunch with a family. So good.
The tale was simple and everything that I needed, comfy bed, unique outdoor bathroom, private space outside, and own section of beach. I also had a massage on island on my first day, which set the scene for my week of relaxation!
The food was also amazing.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank jouljet
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

The jungle noises take some time to get used to but that is all part of the enchantment of living on this island. Amazing views, helpful staff, great food although we did our own lunches with biscuits, gherkins, cheese and peanuts and that saved a lot of money. If money isn't an object, the restaurant is beautiful and right on the ocean. Transfers were faultless and the boat rides to and from the island were great, especially when the sea was up a bit. We had a deluxe fale which may have been a tad big for just two of us as it had two double beds although the white ants are making steady progress to reduce it to rubble in due course. The outdoor shower was good fun. Lovely fresh rainwater to drink straight from the tap. The Koki parrots and a variety of other birds ensured that you didn't sleep in much beyond sunrise but what a lovely way to wake up. There are warnings not to lie down and rest underneath any of the thousands of coconut palms on the island, especially if the wind is up as the coconuts fall and it is likely you wouldn't survive a direct head hit. Ironically, there are hammocks strung between coconut trees here and there. I chose to keep out of the hammock. A decent heart attack will do me when my time comes, not a damn coconut! The coral and fish were amazing. We were glad to have packed short spring wet suits as the water for June was a bit chilly. Other younger guests didn't seem to mind the cold water. Now that we are back in Sydney, we look over the hundreds of photos we took and wish we were back in that very special place.

Room Tip: We had no real idea of the differences between the various fales so we let the manager pick one for...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank DrewboySydney
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

This idylic Robinson Crusoe style island is only 17 acres in size and dotted with coconut palms and surrounded by sandy beaches and coral reefs.
Our fale, or room, was set in a secluded tropical garden surrounded by palms. We had our own private beach with two sun lounges. There were also more sun lounges in the garden, on the veranda and a large hammock, hanging in the shade.
There was certainly no shortage of places to do absolutely nothing - which is what we did for most of the time.
At low tide you can circumnavigate Fafa. It only takes about 30 minutes and that's with plenty of time to take some snaps.
When the tide is high there is a bush trail that runs through the eastern part. This section of Fafa is uninhabited and again only takes a short time to explore.
The restaurant and bar was just a short, barefoot, walk along the beach.

Room Tip: Try and get a fale, on the beach, to the south of the restaurant where the sunsets are spectacular.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014

Where to begin?? I made direct contact through their own website, and all my emails and questions were promptly answered (by Martin), and our booking secured, 6 nights at euro179per night for a Superior Fale, with return airport/boat transfers at euro29each. This was our first visit to The Kingdom of Tonga, having been to most in our Pacific region. I requested 'Sunset' fale as we wished to be away from the restaurant area, we were most fortunate to have been given this fale. Airport transfer was easy, friendly and approx 30mins to the boat transfer.

Upon our arrival we were greeted by name by Martin, and shown to our fale, and given all information regarding the restaurant and day trips etc. There is a meal plan available, detailed on their website. Most main meals we paid around TOP35-40 and were of high quality, mainly a choice between beef, chicken and fish. Drinks from the bar we found not to be overpriced, local beer Maka is TOP7, even though we did enjoy our duty free in our fale, the Banana Breeze, a non alcoholic cocktail at TOP12 was the best, and I enjoyed it every night. Breakfast for us, bacon and eggs for hubby, and pancakes for me, TOP29.

Fafa Island is small, and that's it's beauty. There is a strong ecological aspect to the management of the island, and this is reflected throughout the island. The bird life is fantastic, and the gardens are a credit to the ground staff who maintain them.

The fale's I loved, no fancy air conditioning, no tv, no internet (only available at the bar area), only peace, fantastic views from the hammock, your own private beach area, and time to relax. We did organise a day tour of the mainland, and we saw all the sights, we loved the Blowholes, cost was TOP90 each, and a snorkel trip to one of the outer islands at TOP35 each. The snorkel trip was a high light, and was stunning, not to be missed would be my advice.

All the staff on the Island were wonderful and friendly, housekeeping brilliant. Kayaks and snorkel gear freely available.

Will we go back - in a heart beat, our thanks to Heidi and Martin, and their team at Fafa Island, we loved our time there and look forward to rebooking in the future.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sneezydownunder
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

Having just come back from Tonga, i'm literally saving up my pennies to make the trip all over again next year.

I spent the day at Fafa and you had to drag me back on the boat home, the island for one, is kept in pristine condition, the sand is the whitest and softest ive ever stepped foot on, the water is crystal clear, the service on Fafa is unparalleled, the staff are friendly, kind and very accommodating, the rooms are excellent and i'm struggling to find fault with Fafa.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
White Sands Beach Resort
Royal Sunset Island Resort
Royal Sunset Island Resort
#1 of 1 in Atata Island

Been to Fafa Island Resort? Share your experiences!