“quiet and friendly”

Ranked #15 of 138 Anuradhapura B&B and Inns
Zurich, Switzerland
“quiet and friendly”
Reviewed 19 January 2014

The hostel is nicely situated next to a lake. Although it didn't have much water during our stay, many birds were around and the garden is nice for relaxing. The location is very quiet. It's a little away from the town, but since the town is anyway just a noisy road, we didn't bother. Bikes were available for free.
The owner and his staff is helpful,and always smiling. He takes time to discuss with his guests (also offering tours with him, but without insisting). This gives the guesthouse a very friendly atmosphere.
Food and prices were ok. The room was basic, but perfectly clean and with a balcony to the lake.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Reviewed 7 January 2014

I booked the hotel because of the review on tripadvisor thinking it's a low budget hotel and we were only going to stay for one night. The rooms WERE cheap but the final food and drink check was $65 for two. We checked in late (7pm-ish) so we ordered dinner. They served fried rice and curry which was pretty tasty. We had 3 bottles of beers with dinner and went to bed. After a 1/2 day tour, we returned to the hotel for lunch since we had to check out and move on to other sites. We got a big fried noodle place with not much else for lunch and we had 2 bottles of beers. When I received the bill, I wish I would have spent the money to book a different hotel!

The room we stayed in (the blue and yellow one in the picture collection) was large but it's not new by any means. The lake is more like a swamp by where the hotel sits so there were a lot of bugs and mosquitoes. The manager assured us that there were no malaria or dengue in that part of the town. My husband bumped his head on the door frame twice in the middle of the night going to the bathroom because the door frame was way too low. We did not stay in another budget hotel after this one. Factoring in the location of the hotel and no access to reasonably priced food in the evening, staying at this hotel will eventually cost you!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kat D
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night, the rooms were very basic but it was clean. The staff were so helpful and the owner even dropped us to the bus station after our stay. If you're looking for somewhere cheap and cheerful then this is the place. It is still getting done up and built but once it's done it should be nice.

• Stayed November 2013
Bangkok
Reviewed 21 September 2013

Disappointing place. I'm a budget traveller.
The hotel is still under construction effectively as they bulid when they can.I respect the idea of taking money as soon as you can, one mans dream sorta thing bit by bit. However its not very appealing and is dangerouse in some points especially the staircase up to the rooms. Not recommended for children in this respect

The rooms seem ok as i saw a few as the doors of empty rooms are left open during the day. I went for the cheaper option and got a basic room which did, but I wasnt to happy with to be honest. It was basic. It had square hole in the wall in the room and also the bathroom where i expect windows is due to be put sometime in the future(hotel has been open 3 years). Mosquitoe net provided and while they are not numerous(i got biten in louge) they exist. Some rooms have lakeside views. There seems to be a couple of nice rooms and the rest more towards the basic end.

The Wifi works which also got into my room. Not many guests at the time though. Price could have been better given the state room and the place, but since the wifi was available it swung me.

The common area are the best thing about the place. Louge area very spacious and quite nice adding to this the garden/lakeside area is very nice indeed.Note, lake has not much water at the moment though its fine as it is and will get more full most likely.

I found the owner a little annoying, but he was welcoming, if a little overbearing. You can't get on with everyone all the time.

This place will get better and better and I hope it will in the future and become well known. The rooms from what I saw need more to them to match the common areas that would make the place a top desintation. At the moment its hit and miss depending on what you are looking for

Room Tip: Lakeside view
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Grant B
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Don't know why this is so popular on Tripadvisor.
The accommodation is really basic and we were the only guest there. It was kinda depressing.

The son of the owner is a good bloke, even though he doesn't speak good English.

We had a different experience with the 'friendly' owner. I reckon he is just a good salesman and were a bit disappointed in his far too expensive daytrip.

Better you go somewhere else.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ingmarius
London
Reviewed 6 September 2013 via mobile

Upali, the fella who owns this has a real vision for this place. And his heart is genuinely in the right place. I sat up late with him hearing about the tragic recent history of Sri Lanka, local anecdotes etc. My antennae for fake camaraderie are pretty tuned in, and this places oozes a genuine homely feel. The son's owner and a couple of others are of the same frame of mind and do a great job. Great view of Lake, I mean, you are literally on it. Sure, this is a B&B, so if you come at this thinking 'hotel' you won't agree with my scores. But if you are travelling or holidaying and open to quality but not luxury accommodation this will leave you with an easy sense of having engaged with Sri Lanka, because the atmosphere here is just so pleasant. (PS, I cocked up and trundled into the Lake View B&B by mistake. At 10pm that first night Upali's son called me, understood my error, came to find me, and let me stay for free! so as not to incur 2 nights' fees)

• Stayed September 2013
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Lovely staff, extremely helpful! The food is delicious and the garden is fabulous with plenty of chairs and hammocks. Despite the place being renovated whilst we there this did not stop us from having a lovely time. Very peaceful and relaxing.
Rosie, David and Gillian