“Absolutely loved this hotel”

Heritance Kandalama
Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Dambulla
Reviewed 22 August 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights as part of a Hayes and Jarvis tour. We were greeted by exceptionally friendly staff and given a cold towel to freshen up and a fruit drink. I loved our room beautifully decorated with tea and coffee facilities and a TV with movie channels in English. The view from the shower was amazing. The hotel has three great swimming pools and drinks and snacks are servedby the pool. The food is incredible with something to suit everyone. I really enjoyed dining outside in the evening, the lighting made it very romantic. We also enjoyed walking down to the lake and saw grey langurs, black faced monkeys, spotted deer, mongooses, giant squirrels, Palm squirrels and monitor lizards and of course the macaques were everywhere but not a nuisance.
This is a wonderful location for bird watching my favourites were the colourful barbets and the black hooded Orioles. In the evening they had musicians playing oriental music. They do elephant rides which seemed to last about an hour and the elephant walks in the lake. It's not my thing but lots of people did it early in the morning or between 4-5pm.

Room Tip: One side the rooms have a view of Sigiriya Rock. You need to be on floor 4 or above for the best vie...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (3,746)

Reviewed 21 August 2014

Firstly to get to this place you have to be prepared to undertake a road journey of about four hours ..... if you have a weak heart be prepared as the driving is just downright idiotic and dangerous. Even if you have a good careful driver you can be smashed to pieces by a bus or lorry coming straight at you whilst overtaking on a blind bend - Sri Lanka you need to sort this out !

On to the hotel - its actually a lovely place in a glorious setting. The rooms are sizeable and clean, the suites are very good with super views and a nice jacuzzi. The service on the whole is good but can be a little patchy accompanied by the "blank face".

This is definetly a family hotel - kids running riot everywhere. If you want peace and quiet dont go to this place.

Dining options are limited to buffet style only - whilst the food is perfectly ok it would be nice to be able to have a quiet dinner. The "Dinner in the cave" at US$350 for two is seriously poor value for money - the location is fabulous and the service great but the food is not what one would expect at this price - tinned peaches served with the starter ! errrrrrr i think not

They have a well equipped gym and the gear is all good - be warned there are quite frequent power cuts - a little tricky when one is on the treadmill as I learned form personal experience.......

The surrounding area is beautiful - great wildlife and a hike to the top of Kandalama rock is rewarded with spectacular views.

My advice to this hotel would be to look seriously at your positioning - this has the potential to be a world class destination so look at your pricing look at your value offer and decide what you want to offer your guests - to me it seems as though you are not quite sure hence the review title.

Would I go back ? frankly its not worth the effort to get there.

Reviewed 20 August 2014

I was sold by the photo featured in Silver Kris - a resort wrapped in lush greenery seemingly appearing out of the mist. Alas I was to be sorely disappointed. Don't get me wrong, this resort is deserving of its repute but unfortunately we didn't get to fully experience the place as it is perhaps meant to be - a chance to reconnect with nature. The place seems very popular with families with young children who were running amok and yelling at the top of their voices at the public places most of the time. Not my idea of a relaxing holiday at all but that's just me. If you do not mind squalling kids, this is perhaps a really good place as it has three beautiful pools, great scenery and a chance to get up close with the monkeys, squirrels, birds and butterflies.

We also took a "Dinner in a Cave" package which at USD350 for two, is decent but forgettable. The experience itself is quite nice and I really appreciated having the cave to just the two of us :-)

Given that we flew 3.5hrs and then took a 4hrs arduous car ride from the airport to get to this place, I would have not have bothered if I had the advantage of hindsight.

Room Tip: The suite has a fabulous view and a jacuzzi looking out to lush greenery. It's fab!
Reviewed 20 August 2014

For all those who are not comfortable with nature, this place is not for you. When I first entered the room, I saw two geckos crawl out from behind the wall painting. I thought it was going to be 3 long nights. We called room service three times to get rid of the geckos, which they did without killing them. They just released them back into nature. Respect.
Soon enough we began to appreciate the concept of this super luxurious hotel nestled right in the middle of nature with the most fascinating Eco architecture imaginable.
We began enjoying this harmony with nature in no time. The infinity pool overlooking meadows and pastures where cattle grazes and birds soar.. And a man made lake with naked trees standing in its water as a reminder of what it once used to be.. It's magic.
The concept of the place is impeccable. The friendly staff walk barefoot, and are super attentive to every detail, always smiling. The food is excellent at the snack overlooking the bar. Try the club sandwich. It's so filling my husband and I shared it.
For a quiet, refined dinner, we tried the Kaludiya restaurant opposite the buffet restaurant. My husband had the sizzling sea food platter - the best of his life. And I had the deviled prawns, which was so heavenly that I asked the chef for the recipe. Thank you chef Augustus, and thank you to the staff Daswintha, Sagara, and Rajitha for your wonderful treatment and for giving us the most memorable dinner in Sri Lanka.
The live band at the lounge was excellent. It's a nice way to sit and relax over a drink after your dinner.
Breakfast was by far the best we had in Sri Lanka. So rich, and so perfected across all cuisines.
Hats off Aitken spence for such a marvelous hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms in Dambulla wing are not so big, and have limited view. If budget is not a problem You might c...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 August 2014

OMG this hotel was amazing. I'll start of with the only negitive we can think of. There is very limited spaces at the pools so you have to be early to grab your spot.
Now the positives. The staff were very attentive at all times.
When we arrived we were given a drink and when we were finished taken straight away to our room and minutes later our baggage arrived in our room.
The room was amazing it was like being part of the jungle monkeys and chipmunks looking at you and you looking at them through a sheet of glass.
The room was very clean and room service came twice a day.
The restaurant was amazing the staff were very attentive, and were happy to make you happy.

Food in the restaurant was able to suit everyones taste even catering well for food allergy
sufferers.
We loved the friendliness of this hotel the tranquillity, wildlife and easy assessablity would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Rooms facing out to the jungle are great what an experience.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We were there in August 2014, with my wife's company friends. The hotel is situated near the Kandalama reservoir which makes a wonderful view from the hotel. Since we traveled during a drought, there wasn't much water in the reservoir, so the view was not that amazing.

The view from the hotel is very scenic, where you can see the Kandalama reservoir and the Sigiriya rock far from one side. If you go for a walk in the morning you will find lot of birds around. I would say great place to go around if you love photography. And also you can take an elephant ride around the reservoir if you like.

Food was excellent. As it was buffet style, we filled our stomachs with delicious food. The staff was very hospitable. We stayed in a double room, and it was bit smaller than the rooms of other hotels which I have been. One side of the bathroom is totally glass, so my wife initially hesitated to use the shower, as it was facing the garden. Other than that the rooms are in very good condition. As the hotel is very lengthy you have to walk a long way when you need commute between the room and the lobby, restaurants etc.

Overall, I recommend this hotel as one of the good places to stay and relax for few days.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We came for our honeymoon & those days were memorable days in our lives because we got a good room & the food was excellent...lots of varieties...
And we love the infinity pool a lot..
I would recommend this as the best hotel for any ones honeymoon...
And like to see you all soon agian...

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dambulla
Aliya Resort & Spa
#6 of 21 in Sigiriya
Amaya Signature
Amaya Signature
#6 of 18 in Dambulla

Been to Heritance Kandalama? Share your experiences!