We visited this hotel on a tour from the west coast of Sri Lanka and therefore were told about the very special nature of this hotel.
It is absolutely beautiful: an infinity pool looking over a lake; the prospect of seeing wild elephants, wildlife everywhere - including monkeys on your balcony in the morning. It has glass walls looking out onto the nature reserve so even in the shower you can see Sri Lanka's wildlife whilst washing. We loved out Jacuzzi too!
For us, that's where its charm ended...the food at the buffet was nice enough but for a hotel of its 'acclaim' I was disappointed at the fact that most people there were wearing 'day' clothes to dinner. I had had a silk dress steamed, wore it, and then had to go back and get changed because all of the women and many men were wearing shorts and t-shirts.
The bar serves fantastic cocktails and the bar staff were brilliant but there was no-one else there apart from us which is apparently fairly normal. It was only 10pm!
Beautiful location, good enough food but little atmosphere. Monkeys were enough for me, though!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Heritance Kandalama is shaped like the outspread wings of a bird, following the line of the cliff from which it seems to emerge. The hotel is a staggering 1km from end to end, and rises up seven floors, yet appears to be a perfectly natural extension of the mountainside. The flat roof and timber pillars support a screen of vegetation that attracts local wildlife. The abundance of real-life animals around the hotel is complemented by wonderful large-scale sculptures within it. A metal owl is suspended outside the main restaurant; wooden elephants inhabit the lounge; a stone cobra uncoils along the terrace overlooking the infinity pool. However, while focusing on highlighting its enchanting natural surroundings, our luxury resort in Sri Lanka gives priority to providing its guests with the finest comforts and service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Southall Travel, Holiday Gems, Hotels.com, TravelUp and Odigeo so you can book your Heritance Kandalama reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kandalama Hotel Sri Lanka
- Hotel Heritance Kandalama
- Heritance Kandalama Dambulla
- Kandalama Hotel Dambulla