“nice owner/good location/basic room”
Review of Takeshi Inn

and 1 more site!
Takeshi Inn
Muar, Malaysia
“nice owner/good location/basic room”
Reviewed 27 January 2014

I stayed at Takeshi Inn for two nights. I love that they had some tables, benches and a hammocks in the garden. I wasn't feeling well one day, so I was resting at the garden and played with the little granddaughter for a while. The owner and his family were really friendly and helpful.

The room was basic with mosquito nets but it was clean. It was a bit hot when I was there but I chose fan-only. I think the room would be cooler if I kept the windows opened. Wifi and hot-shower were available all day.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank chyehiong

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Polish first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 December 2013

Me and my girlfriend spent 2 nights at Takeshi Inn and had a pretty nice stay there.
For $25USD a night we were given a double room with a mosquito net, plus fan and ensuite bathroom. The room was nice and clean and it wasnt that noisy either considering the main road is only 20m away.
The location isnt amazing though as it is about a 10-15min walk into town, however Dambulla town isn't a great place and there werent really any great budget places to eat so its not really worth a walk in anyway. For food nearer to the accommodation there is a small place across the road where you can get a Kottu or a fried rice for just a couple of hundred rupees and there is a wine store where you can get some very cheap beer and spirits.
The one negative thing we have to say about the place is that although we found the staff to be really nice and helpful, we didnt appreciate the owner trying to sell us an expensive trip to Sigiriya with the tuk tuk driver who just dropped us off. Considering we are his customers, even in a budget accommodation our interests should be his priority but even though i kept insisting that we would get the bus which was 1000x cheaper he still kept trying to negotiate.

A tuk tuk from the bus station to the guest house costs around 100r.

To get to Sigiriya Rock you can catch a bus from outside the guest house although it may be worth walking into town like we did to try and jump on sooner as there is a good chance the bus will have filled up by the time it reaches Takeshi Inn and you will have to stand up for the 40min journey (which wont be comfortable for anyone above 6ft). The bus cost 35r per person one way.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Kathmandu, Nepal
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Takeshi was recommended by another traveler so I called ahead and stayed 3 nights. The owner came and picked me up from the bus at no charge as its a little out of town but perfect for catching the bus to Sigiriya Rock and Polonnaruwa.
The rooms are basic but clean with mosquito nets and fans / air-con (if you need). The family made me feel very welcome, always bringing me tea and they served me homemade rice and curry after Sigiriya Rock which they never asked any money for. I would recommend this Guesthouse to all budget travelers looking for a good location. There is also a great little local bar next door serving cheap beer (although food is not great)..

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 July 2013 via mobile

We arrived at takeshi's late and so there was only one room left, which the owner seemed slightly apologetic about when showing us (the middle room of the 3 fan rooms). But it was fine. Not the largest, but double bed, mosquito net and fan. Bathroom was ok, but door wouldn't shut properly and toilet flushing system had broken slightly so needed to turn a valve next to toilet on and off.

However, this was the worst room, we saw the other fan rooms as well as the AC rooms and they all looked good. As I said, the owner seemed apologetic when showing us the room, but it was late so happy for anything. Also bear in mind the Rs1500 price for the fan room. Bargain!

Location was good, on balance. Maybe a 40minute walk from the cave temples, but opposite both a bus stop (to sigiriya, kandy and trinco, plus others), as well as a rickshaw park. A few shops nearby for water etc. Also only 15minute walk from the clock tower, where there are restaurants, bakeries and Internet cafes.

Owner and his family were also super friendly. One offered to come out and flag down the correct bus for us when we went to sigiriya.

Considering the price and also that you're not going to stay in dambulla more than a few nights, this place was perfect. Would definitely recommend!

Travelled July 2013, as a couple, fan room.

• Stayed July 2013
Reviewed 18 April 2013

We walked in and paid 3000 Lkr for Air con room. Its a very basic motel. The rooms are clean. Its located 10 -15 mins from the city center. However buses and tuk tuks atop frequently. The bathroom had a bad smell but was equipped with geyser. The ownwer is very helpful and made sure we got teh right bus for sightseeing.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 21 February 2013 via mobile

Reservation : made a 2 nights reservation through agoda and paid usd30 a night which is like 200% more than walk in customers paying for the same aircon room at 2000rs.
Reception : shown to my room immediately upon arrival. Slight confusion created by the 3 wheeler driver who brought me there. Nothing serious
Room: smells a bit damp but it's usual with so much rain during my visit. Room and bathroom are basic and decently clean. Was not provided any towels. Hot shower is just trickling water. And it comes from the well in front of their house. Lots of mosquitoes which of course common everywhere in Sri Lanka!
They have 3 air on rooms and 3 non air on rooms. Non aircon is abt 1300rs per nite
Meals: rate does not include any meals but owner is more than happy to serve good bf or dinner (450rs each). Coffee comes from his own coffee plant in his garden. Other wise Lion Beer (at 190rs per big bottle ) or food can be bought within 100m from guesthouse.
Location: bus stop just outside the guesthouse and owner is always helpful to make sure u board the correct bus. Ideal to travel to sigiriya/polonnawura/kandy/Anuradhapura. Though you might have a hard time to stop at the same bus stop on ur return trip. Ended up at the central bus stop and walked abt 10-15mins back to takeshi
Others: i was quoted 2000rs for a round trip to sigiriya. Another grp managed to get the same thing incl a trip to dambulla cave temples for the same price. Probably you can bargain better than us

Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
Reviewed 11 February 2013

The location of Takeshi Inn in Dambulla is simply ideal to visit the various places in the Cultural Triangle. I'd stayed a couple of nights here and made it my hub for the northern leg of my Sri Lanka trip. I rented a Bajaj clutch motorbike, from Takeshi Inn, which was in mint condition and traveled to Anuradhapura, Polonnaruwa, Mihintale, Dambulla cave temple and of course, Sigiriya. The feeling of riding across the countryside is absolutely amazing especially at sunrise.

Nihal the owner is very hospitable. I'd enjoyed having a good conversation everyday after I'd come back from my day trips.

Highly recommended for the budget conscious.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo