“Not so great”
Review of Amaya Lake

Amaya Lake
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Dambulla
Reviewed 15 November 2007

My boyfriend and I decided to book Amaya Lake for my birthday after traveling the country for about 1 1/2 months. We wanted something nice within a reasonable distance from Kandy. The Heritance Kandalama was booked so we opted for Amaya Lake. Our troubles started as soon as we arrived. The woman at reception was not friendly (this did not change throughout our two night stay there) and as we waited for our room to be prepared other guests arrived and were whisked off to their rooms before us probably because they had a driver who was dealing with reception. They were also very understaffed (only one person to help with luggage).

The room was nice but the atmosphere of the bungalows was more family than exotic. The lake is actually quite a ways from the bungalows and there was no boat ride or bird watching as was advertised. In fact when we inquired, the reception gave little to no explanation as to why they couldn't offer the services and were unwilling to make calls or arrange alternative activities.

We tried to salvage our fun by renting out bicycles. But, to make things more ridiculous, ALL of the 10 bikes were broken in some way or another. AND, they didn't even have a pump on hand to fix them nor did they know how to get a pump or how long it would take! My question is, why have 10 bikes next to reception if they don't actually function?!

By this time in our travels, I had eaten plenty of food in Sri Lanka, from small guest house fare to big hotel buffets, ie Blue Water, The Lighthouse, etc and I must say that the food was pretty awful.

I could go on but I will refrain and say that there were some nice touches like flower decor on the bed every night, some friendly staff, and after my boyfriend made a visible show of frustration over all of the problems we encountered with someone on staff, they arranged a surprise birthday cake for me.

Still, wouldn't recommend this place for anyone except perhaps families.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ourserendib
Write a ReviewReviews (1,586)

Reviewed 16 August 2007

Yes!! Its real. As per some comments about Amaya Lake in Trip Advisor, I was a bit scared to make the reservation for my trip to Sri Lanka. But through my Travel Agent, I found out that there was nothing to worry about since their been dealing with them for a long time. After feeling kind of secured with his words, I made my reservation getting ready for my trip to Sri Lanka.

It was a round trip as I stayed at Amaya Lake when I was visiting the ruins of Anuradhapura. I was garland and welcomed to the hotel with the traditional RABAN music ( a big drum like thing which makes a nice sound. witch was played by four women) and lighting the traditional Oil Lamp. Soon after the check in, I was escorted to my room, which was #92. It was a rocky path surrounded by the forest with lots of squirrels, Birds ..etc. It was about a 5min walk from the reception.

As I entered my room, I realized that something differed this room from the other. As I realized, it must be the size of the room and its unique design. It was a little bit small but had enough space for 6 people. The room was equipped with a 29” Plasma TV and Satellite TV Channels. Under the TV stand was the Mini Bar.

As I heard from my guide, my room was a refurbished one. Some rooms were covered with huge Tents and were out of order due to the refurbishments. The furniture in my room was quite modern. There was a shower cubical with a separate door with all the other facilities inside the bathroom (not like as I read form some other reviews).

Later that evening, we were entertained by a group of musicians who played nice oriental music. And there was also a special Cultural Show organized. (it was awesome). As I head to my room soon after my dinner, I could notice the poor lighting on the pathways.

LIZARDZZZZ……. Well im not scared of them but there were small insects in front of my door. Anyway they were not in side my room so I felt a little cozy. But my personal thoughts are, the room is surrounded by a forest, so insects are a common thing when you are surrounded by nature. (the insects are completely harmless).

Later next day I was about to experience a boat ride in the Kandalama Lake. My Guide has organized this as the hotel is having a boat of their own. It was a great experience around the lake and the view was magnificent.

My stay was two days at Amaya Lake and it was a wonderful experience. I would recommend this hotel for anyone who is willing to spend a quiet and peaceful holiday. I’m hoping to visit here next year for my Honeymoon. As I heard, they are having lot of outside activities like Safari, Bird Watching etc... If you are willing to enjoy an out door adventure don’t hesitate to visit Amaya Lake.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled solo
1  Thank amilaspec
Reviewed 14 May 2007

This is one of the best hotels that we have stayed in. It's location is excellent for sightseeing and the rooms are located around the lake. The size of the rooms really makes your stay as they are like little cottages with a sitting area and the bedroom area separted by a couple of steps. The staff were excellent and couldn't do enough for you. We found the variety and standard of food to be very good also. The only problem we had was that we had only booked 02nights next time we will be staying for 04nts.
The spa looked very reasonable in price.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled with friends
1  Thank Claire3
Reviewed 12 March 2007

Amaya Lake resort is located adjacent to Kandalam Lake. The chalets/club lodges were spread out and had a huge lobby and dining area. Lobby had some antique furniture with white lanterns dangling from ceiling. The door of each chalet is pained with full size image of King Kashyapa. Chalet had a separate living area with flat screen TV and a couch, while steps lead to a slightly elevated sleeping area. Spacious bathrooms were equipped with toiletries and hairdryers. The only disadvantage that I could think of was the paths leading to chalets were poorly lit.
Entertainment: A flutist plays softly in a small elevated enclosure closer to the pool for an hour or so in the evenings. Local singers are invited to sing few Srilankan melodies at the restaurant. Late night a local magician displays his magician skills for an hour or so. We hired bicycles from the resort to explore the country side. They charge 100 bucks per hour. The breath taking view of Kandalam Lake and lush green paddy fields will be cherished for the years to come by. We enjoyed every moment at Amaya Lake.

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 January 2007

We stayed here in Nov and the stay was arraged for us by Amaya reef for a tour in the second week. The setting is superb and the hotel is excellent. Staff are very good and do their utmost to ensre a good stay. Very well situsted for all the tourist places in the area.
Hotel is to be highly recomended and of the Amaya hotels in Sri Lanks we would rate them as follows
1st Amaya Hills
2nd Amaya Lake
3rd Amaya Reef

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 October 2006

We had booked all three Amaya resorts at Hikkaduwa, Kandy and Dambulla. We stayed at Dambulla for 2 days in chalet and it is a large, beautiful resort. I am quite surprised with some of the reviews I saw here-- the resort is actually well-equipped and there is no problem with electricity or areas being well-lit. The room is spacious and has all the facilities that might be needed. Since its right next to the lake and there are regular rains, there might be a few insects- but even these are kept under-control with repellants; each room is given one. If you see some bug you dont like, you can just request the hotel folks to have it removed- they will be more than happy to do it.

We loved the food and went sauntering next to the lake. The location of the resort is also very good in terms of proximity of places to visit - the rockt temple, sigiriya and polonnaruwa. You can go bicycling from the resort to the rock temple - you can hire the bike from the resort folks. And when you return in the evening you will find a fresh fruit basket and a flower arrangement in your room!

In the evening they invite a local classical singer who sings beutiful traditional Sri Lankan melodies making the whole environment romantic. Even the theme and setting of the resort is dedicated to the the tradtional Sri Lankan culture. The ayurvedic health center has a good team. I had a good facial massage here [had already had the full body massage at Kandy- Amaya Hills].

We ended our honeymoon with this resort being the last... It was a fantastic stay!

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled as a couple
4  Thank MSBatta
Reviewed 6 October 2006

A really beautiful well run hotel set in the heart of elephant country

I can't honestly think of anywhere I've been thats better.

• Stayed: August 2004, travelled with family
1  Thank Recrema
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dambulla
Heritance Kandalama
#9 of 17 in Dambulla
Hotel Sigiriya
Hotel Sigiriya
#6 of 20 in Sigiriya

Been to Amaya Lake? Share your experiences!