Lowest prices for your stay
US$270
Reserve now, pay at stay
CheapTicketsUS$270
TravelocityUS$270
Orbitz.comUS$270
All reviews nature walk plunge pool paddy fields nil manel water monitors natural spring upper lake sri lanka bike rides golf buggies bird watching peace and tranquility our honeymoon rice two nights beautiful setting curries
Selected filters
Reviewed 22 May 2019

I will be forever grateful to Kalundewa Retreat and the days of bliss I was privileged to enjoy in mid-May. Words are not enough to capture the beauty and the energy of this secluded retreat in the heart of Sri Lanka. I was impressed beyond my expectations. The property is surrounded by lush trees, exotic animals (a distinctive troupe of peacocks among other colorful birds, some friendly reptiles and several monkeys). The layout of the retreat is designed to create a perfect blend between guests and nature- this is truly a special occasion to contemplate and be inspired by natural beauty. As a writer and musician this was the perfect place for me to reconnect with my inner creative spirit. I cannot rave enough about the spectacular food I was served throughout my stay. Chef Dinesh De Silva concocted a spectacular display of dishes in the true tradition of culinary artistry. As a foodie, I was particularly stimulated, each day bringing a new surprise to my tastebuds. I embarked in a journey through the different spices of Sri Lankan cuisine, the rotis and the dosas, the edible flowers, the curried lambs, the wattalapams and even an unforgettable paella. Nothing like waking up to fresh papaya juice and Sri Lankan mint tea overlooking Kalundewa’s fields and mountains or just being in the company of birds and trees surrounding the plunge pool of my chalet. I felt in heaven. Standing ovation to the entire staff who went out of their way to make me feel at home and to Heshan Ranaweera, the hotel manager, who also took me in a biking excursion throughout the village. I also rejoiced in the Nature Walk, the visit of the chef’s garden, two yoga classes (three hour sessions!), a cooking class and daily biking in the property to and from Ulpatha natural pool, a special spot to be lullabied by the sounds of dancing leaves. Staying at Kalundewa was a great investment in my health in all senses of the word (physical, spiritual and emotional). I felt safe and protected from beginning to end- security is enforced and designed in a very efficient way. Everything was impeccable- the attention to details and gestures sets this special place apart. Even the nighttime poems left on my bed during turndown service were exquisite. Sri Lanka is a beautiful destination and Kalundewa was the perfect starting point to the discovery of this exceptional piece of paradise. I am already missing Kalundewa Retreat and I cannot wait to be back.

Room tip: Ask for the Kumbuk Chalet. You'll love it.
Date of stay: May 2019
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 26 April 2019 via mobile

Absolutely loved this place. We stayed 3 nights, using it as a base to see sirigaya, elephant safari, and the monkey kingdom. 2 adults and 2 kids, aged 6 and 8. Our room was called karundra. Had a plunge pool and plenty of space. The retreat is magical. Our kids rode the free bicycles around in complete safety and with freedom City kids don't often get to have. We ate most of our meals there. The chef would prepare meals not on the menu. Very tasty curries. The whole retreat is peaceful, unique, and ultimately magical. The magic comes from the staff and this sense of space. Plenty of activities, we did the nature walk, cycled to the main pool, went kayaking, and constantly spotted a wide variety of birds. Come here to spend quality time with your kids, or to have a romantic hideaway. It feels like you are in your own private resort.

Date of stay: April 2019
Trip type: Travelled with family
KManager, Manager at Kalundewa Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2019

Dear Guest
Thank you very much for your recent stay at Kalundewa Retreat. Our whole team is happy in reading the favorable comments.
We are truly happy that you and your whole family have enjoyed the room, food, surroundings and activities at Kalundewa Retreat.
Karanda Chalet is one of our newest additions and have made to give a luxury experience inside of a jungle it self. A call of a peacock, a nest of a giant squral and a sound of a hornbill are very common here at Kalundewa specially near Karanda and Attikka chalets.

Thank you again for the lovely review. We would like to see you again at Kalundewa.

Reviewed 23 April 2019

We stayed in this beautiful boutique hotel in March `19. We only were there two nights and wished we had more time to stay longer! We loved our water villa..so tranquill! The staff really go out of their way to help and give you the best service possible! Great food, hospitalitly and the most amazing surroundings! We highly recommend staying here if you get the chance!

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear Guest
Thank you very much for the lovely review about Kalundewa Retreat. We are very happy in reading the favorable comments. Water Villa (Nil Manel) is a unique design of its own and this is the only accommodation unit in the county in a lake.

Once again thank you for the positive review.
We would like to see you again at Kalundewa, please visit us again.

Thanking you

Reviewed 12 April 2019

We kicked off our honeymoon by staying at Kalundewa Retreat and had the most amazing stay, we didn't want to leave! The staff are simply incredible, they go above and beyond to accommodate all of your needs.

The setting is picture perfect, we loved exploring the retreat, especially the sunset nature walk we went on. The rooms are spectacular, and designed beautifully. We stayed in two different rooms during our stay as the staff were so kind and upgraded us.

Now for the food, some of the best curries we ate throughout our trip! The vegetarian curries were beyond amazing, every night they blew us away. They kept mixing it up, whilst also bringing us our favourites! The hotel also arranged take away breakfasts for us when we were out exploring the nearby sights!

We loved every second and I can't recommend it highly enough!

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple

WOW! What a wonderful review about Kalundewa.
Thank you very much for the lovely review and for the detailed description about our property. Our whole staff is happy in reading the favourable comments.
We do love the fact that your stay with us was a lovely and a memorable one.
Please do visit us in your future visits to Sri Lanka.

Thanking you

Reviewed 27 March 2019

We stayed for 4 nights and thought that it was a beautiful place. The surrounding paddy fields and lake are filled with wonderful birds and wildlife and we particularly enjoyed a walk with Tharaka the resident naturalist. It was great fun biking about and the swimming pool is in beautiful setting, under trees where monkeys play.

Date of stay: March 2019
KManager, Manager at Kalundewa Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2019

Dear Guest
Thank you so much for dedicating your valuable time to post a lovely comment about Kalundewa Retreat.
We are truly happy in reading the favorable comments, including our Naturalist--Tharaka.
Glad to note that you have enjoyed the excursions, activities and the recreation facilities.

Once again thank you very much for the positive review. Please do select us when you travel to Sri Lanka again.