Lowest prices for your stay
Hotels.com
US$270
View deal
Free cancellation until 29/10/21
Reserve now, pay at stay
Priceline
US$258
View deal
Free cancellation until 30/10/21
TravelocityUS$270
CheapTicketsUS$270
Orbitz.comUS$270
All reviews nature walk plunge pool paddy fields nil manel water monitors natural spring upper lake sri lanka bike rides golf buggies bird watching peace and tranquility our honeymoon rice two nights beautiful setting curries
Selected filters
Reviewed 15 July 2019

We really enjoyed our stay at Kalundewa Retreat during mid of May 2019. The hotel is surrounded with peaceful environment. Morning views are amazing. Beautiful chalet with nature friendly architectural designs. Staff was very helpful and friendly. Especially the Chef Dinesh, Heshan and the front officers, Isuru & Damith. We are thankful for kalundewa team for making our stay memorable. Food was heavenly tasted and the chef is on hand to cook up anything you’re up for. Highly recommended and would like to visit again this lovely retreat.

Iresha & Limal

Room tip: Karadha Chalet with Plunge Pool
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 July 2019 via mobile

The Kalundewa retreat at Dambulla is a definite treat for the mind and body. With just 9 rooms or chalets as they are called, in a 130 acre area, it feels like a private resort all for yourself. The architect who designed the rooms made sure ZERO trees were cut and built everything around trees. Impressive, isn't it? Very connected to nature and situated quite literally in the middle of a forest, you won't find a TV in the room - loading your laptop with movies might be a good idea for a late night watch. Speaking of nights, don't be too surprised if you see bats flying around your room or hear the crickety sound of insects. What we thought to be a crocodile/alligator in the swamp turned out to be a harmless water monitor. We used the two bicycles outside our room to tour the premise and got to see peacocks, ducks and storks roaming around in the fields and creeks. Our room had a plunge pool outside that made for a refreshing dip! They also have a swimming pool called Ulpatha that sources water from natural springs - try that too! A special mention goes out to Taraka, a naturalist there who helped us settle in and Chef Dinesh who ensured we vegetarians got a nice lunch fare! An abolute must-go!

Date of stay: July 2019
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 June 2019 via mobile

We really enjoyed our visit to Kalundewa Retreat. Staff was very helpful and always with a smile ready to serve and assist us from the time we got their until our departure. Our holiday was very relaxing as the atmosphere was great. The plunge pool in the room was an added benefit. We served served dinner in the middle of the forest under candle light which was great and an enjoyable experience. They also have a swimming pool where they extract water from a natural spring water well underground this is purified and sent to the pool. This water makes your skin glow and is very refreshing. The food was very tasty and chef DInesh personally came and met us offering a diverse menu and great options to select from. Chef Dinesh was a former chef attached to Cinnamon grand and his food was fabulous. Heshan another friendly staff member took us on a nature trail which was very educational. He shared all his knowledge and experiences very humbly. Anuradha was also one great chap who was very caring and helped us with any querries we had. Overall we had a great time and I could recommend this place to anyone. Keep up the good work.

Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 26 May 2019 via mobile

This hotel was amazing! We came here during our honeymoon travels and it was just what we needed. Beautiful chalet, so peaceful and the staff are wonderful. So kind and friendly. The food was delicious and the chef always came out and made us something special that wasn’t on the menu. The wildlife surrounding the area is so interesting, at sunset the place comes alive with birds, water monitors and so much more. Would highly recommend and go again!! Loved it!

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 May 2019

I will be forever grateful to Kalundewa Retreat and the days of bliss I was privileged to enjoy in mid-May. Words are not enough to capture the beauty and the energy of this secluded retreat in the heart of Sri Lanka. I was impressed beyond my expectations. The property is surrounded by lush trees, exotic animals (a distinctive troupe of peacocks among other colorful birds, some friendly reptiles and several monkeys). The layout of the retreat is designed to create a perfect blend between guests and nature- this is truly a special occasion to contemplate and be inspired by natural beauty. As a writer and musician this was the perfect place for me to reconnect with my inner creative spirit. I cannot rave enough about the spectacular food I was served throughout my stay. Chef Dinesh De Silva concocted a spectacular display of dishes in the true tradition of culinary artistry. As a foodie, I was particularly stimulated, each day bringing a new surprise to my tastebuds. I embarked in a journey through the different spices of Sri Lankan cuisine, the rotis and the dosas, the edible flowers, the curried lambs, the wattalapams and even an unforgettable paella. Nothing like waking up to fresh papaya juice and Sri Lankan mint tea overlooking Kalundewa’s fields and mountains or just being in the company of birds and trees surrounding the plunge pool of my chalet. I felt in heaven. Standing ovation to the entire staff who went out of their way to make me feel at home and to Heshan Ranaweera, the hotel manager, who also took me in a biking excursion throughout the village. I also rejoiced in the Nature Walk, the visit of the chef’s garden, two yoga classes (three hour sessions!), a cooking class and daily biking in the property to and from Ulpatha natural pool, a special spot to be lullabied by the sounds of dancing leaves. Staying at Kalundewa was a great investment in my health in all senses of the word (physical, spiritual and emotional). I felt safe and protected from beginning to end- security is enforced and designed in a very efficient way. Everything was impeccable- the attention to details and gestures sets this special place apart. Even the nighttime poems left on my bed during turndown service were exquisite. Sri Lanka is a beautiful destination and Kalundewa was the perfect starting point to the discovery of this exceptional piece of paradise. I am already missing Kalundewa Retreat and I cannot wait to be back.

Room tip: Ask for the Kumbuk Chalet. You'll love it.
  • Trip type: Travelled solo