Asian Jewel Boutique Hotel
  • Pool
Sunbeach Hotel(Hikkaduwa)
Good 3.5/5
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsjasmine roomthe sri lankan currytuk tukshepherds pieoverlooking the lagoonenglish ownerluxury roomposter bedcurriesarrange transportfruit platterpeaceful locationoff the beaten trackbird lakeriver safarilittle toucheshotel is perfect
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 12 March 2011

My wife and I stayed in this nice hotel for three nights earlier this month. Our experience was great and we would recommend it to anyone who would like to vist the Hikkaduwa area. We are definitely considering going back to this hotel at some point.

The rooms in this hotel are clean, comfortable and well decorated. The only thing that would have made it perfect was if there were sattelite TV in the room. There is, however, a common area which has a big screen TV and sattelite in case you want to watch a live premier league game or something. The common arrea also has a pool table, bar and jukebox, so there is quite a relaxed and fun atmosphere. Oh, and we should also mention the swimming pool surrounded by lovely trees. You can observe some wildlife around the hotel, including various bird species, squirrels, or even a mongoose if you are lucky!

The food and service is some of the best we have ever encountered. The staff are very polite and attentive. The chefs can cook a mean Sri Lankan curry, as well as excellent European dishes. You can pretty much close your eyes and pick a random dish from the menu, and it will most likely be very good.

Tanya and Dale are great hosts and take their time to personally attend to you. Their rescued pet dog, Suki, is very cute and friendly, and she will probably pay you a visit while you are having a meal or sitting by the pool!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 March 2011

This was our first visit to Sri Lanka for the scuba diving and we were looking for a nice hotel on the beach but the reviews were very mixed. This little gem of a hotel had fantastic reviews and although it was 2 km in land next to a lake we gave it a go. What a good descision. E mail communication was first class and both Tanya and Dale were very helpful arranging very reasonable taxi transfer from the airport etc.
On arrival at night along a bumpy track ( quite normal for the area ) we were a little apprehensive but when we arrived Tanya greeted us with open arms and the holiday just got better from there.
The hotel only has 5 rooms which are decorated very tastefully and homely. Ours had a side view of the lake. The rooms and the whole hotel are kept immaculate.
The staff outnumber the guests and are all very friendly and helpful. We stayed for two weeks and had intended eating out on some night but the restaurant area ( veranda ) had a beutiful view over the lake and the food was so good and reasonable we stayed there. The pool area is well kept and sunbeds for all.
Dale organised a couple of trips for us. A river trip and 1 day safari. Both were very reasonably priced and the guides were excellent.
A good tuk tuk service shuttled us to and from the dive center and beach area so the hotel being 2km inland was not a problem. In fact it just made it more tranquil and relaxing.
Both Tanya and Dale cannot do enough for you and are really great host.
We are really glad we made the choice to go there as it really made the holiday. The revues are excellent because the Asian Jewel really is a JEWEL.
Thank you Tanya, Dale and the whole staff for a fantastic two weeks.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 March 2011

Many thanks to Tania and Dale and every member of staff for a terrific 13 night stay.

Had high hopes after so many rave reviews -we were not disappointed in any way. Tremendous personal service,great food coupled with a highly informal atmosphere meant we were fully relaxed from the start.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 March 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Asian Jewel in Nov 2010 as part of our honeymoon and it was as fantastic as all the reviews on here say it is! Dale and Tanya are so friendly and accommodating and will do anything to make your stay and holiday as enjoyable as possible. They even moved the TV especially for me so I could watch the West Ham game whilst eating my dinner! The rest of the staff also helped to make the stay so comfortable and relaxing and I must say a big shout out to Cyril! The food was exceptional, both the local delicacies and the huge range of Western dishes, and the rooms, pool and landscape gardens were faultless. I did have some concerns before we went that the beach was a bit far but our fabulous tuk-tuk driver Anura was always on hand to give us the five minute lift down to Hikkaduwa and the beach and back again whenever we needed it. I honestly cannot praise the Asian Jewel enough and if we return to Sri Lanka we will definitely stay here again. Many thanks Dale, Tanya, Anura, Cyril and the rest of the team!
Wiliam and Antonia, London

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 March 2011

Just returned after a week at Asian Jewel - it just gets better and better.

This was our third visit and we will definitely be back - for a number of reasons.

Firstly, Dale and Tanya are such a great combination and make wonderful hosts. Nothing is too much trouble for them and they go out of their way to make sure you have a good time.

Secondly, the staff. Cyril, Anura, Amara, Thilak, Kumara, Veejay, Sarath, Suba and the rest - all fantastic, helpful, friendly and fun.

Thirdly, the position. Away from the hustle and bustle, next to the lake, with views of the birds and the swimming pool. Peace on earth. But if you want the hustle and bustle it is only a tuk tuk away.

Fourthly, the spotless cleanliness. Kumara does a fabulous job. Four vases of flowers in the room. The wonderful smell of the natural cleaning products used (I think they are cinnamon based). I would not hesitate to eat off the floor if necessary - there is not even dust in the corners or round the edges, I need Kumara at my house!

Fifthly, the excellent food. Especially the breakfasts. Thank you Sarath, Suba and the rest. The baked crab was wonderful, as was the seafood dinner and the house special curry. If you fancy something that is not on the menu just give them a bit of notice and they will provide it.

Sixth, the whole ambience. When we arrived I truly felt as though I had arrived home - I cannot give a better review than that.

Thanks again Dale and Tanya, see you next year I hope.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple