“A real jewel that made our holiday perfect”

Asian Jewel Boutique Hotel
Ranked #3 of 27 Hotels in Hikkaduwa
Bath, United Kingdom
“A real jewel that made our holiday perfect”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

Having researched in the Rough Guide to Sri Lanka for an area that would suit us and having opted for Hikkaduwa we then hit Trip Advisor and found the Asian Jewel which topped the Best Hotel and Best Restaurant categories.
What a stroke of luck!
We arrived from wet and cold UK in early Feb, jet lagged and flagging. We were greeted by sunshine and hosts who couldn't do enough for us, in a perfect little hotel 5 mins from the beach by tuktuk.
The hotel for us was perfect. It is set in a quiet location, has an incredibly friendly and helpful staff, nice air conditioned rooms, beautiful views over the lagoon, well kept pretty gardens, a deceptively large and well maintained swimming pool, relaxing loungers and a splendid restaurant. The choice on the menu was huge, from delicious Sri Lankan and Indian curries to Italian pizzas and pastas to English specialities as well.
When we wanted to visit Galle or go to the beach of an evening sundowner before dinner, the hotel summoned Chamindra and his tuktuk and we were whisked off on a fun ride with a guided commentary and stories of lizards and cricket.
We had a most relaxing and enjoyable stay and thank you to the hosts and staff for making us feel so welcome.

Room Tip: Choose if possible a room with a balcony overlooking the lagoon to see stunning bird life.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014

This stunning hotel with gorgeous views is certainly appropriately named as it is undoubtedly a jewel amongst the hotel industry. The beautiful décor, pristine rooms and attractive gardens all form a harmonious combination to make ones holiday a truly wonderful experience. From the moment I booked direct with the hotel and Dale, the proprietor, I have been nothing but impressed. The service I received has been exceptional and every question or query followed up to the full. Dale’s knowledge knows no bounds and his executive attention to detail is exceptional. The air conditioned car that met me upon my arrival at the airport was a luxury after flying for nearly eleven hours and travelling for over twenty. The driver was polite, friendly and informative, pointing out areas of interest along the journey to the hotel. Once at the hotel the staff was attentive, smart and friendly with a professional demeanour that one would expect from a larger hotel. Having been to higher end hotels such as the Hilton, I feel impressed in respect of the professional quality and all aspects of service. The fresh welcome drink is a joy after travelling and the small charming touches start immediately, with fresh flowers that adorn the drink and a genuine smile. After catching my breath, I was shown my room and as I followed the young gentleman who carried my bag, I was informed about the local area, prices and asked if there was anything I needed or required. My room was clean, stylish and conveyed tasteful and discreet conveniences such as a safe, air conditioning, fan, vanity, ornate flowers that adorned the bed, mini bar and soft beverages that were replenished daily. The views I had from the room were picture perfect with views across the lagoon and pool. The hotel had soft music that aided in a relaxed ambience. A pool table was available should you get bored of the views, books, DVD’s, walks around the immediate area and immaculate pool and gardens, which were simply a joy to behold. The restaurant has beautiful vistas of the lagoon and the food was to die for. In fact, I cannot speak highly enough of the meals with the occasional request as to whether we required fresh fish, crab, jumbo prawns or likewise as a member of the staff would go to the local market to acquire this for us, at no extra cost. I was lucky enough to try most of the dishes on the menu as I did not feel the need to eat elsewhere and with very reasonable prices and sizable meals this would be my first choice for anyone. The local area of Hikkaduwa is beautiful and the nearest beach is a mere seven minutes from the hotel by tuk-tuk, which was arranged by the hotel, again at no extra cost. The beaches, people and atmosphere are amazing with so much to do, and even if you would just rather relax, there is so much to see. I was so impressed by this gem that I am planning to return later this year and have recommended it to all of my friends and family, some of whom are also looking to book.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014

As the car drove into the hotel drive, I did wonder quite what we'd booked. This wasn't the 5* luxury we were used to and the hotel looked almost shabby. I think the name had fooled me. I was expecting some terribly chic, design orientated retreat and this hotel isn't quite that. It's no worse for not being that though. It is a lovely, clean, unpretentious hotel that offers great value. The food is superb (try the Sri Lankan curry selection that you book a few hours in advance as it's wonderful although don't do what we did and order it 2 nights in a row as it will be almost identical). Even my very fussy daughter was happy with the food (eating spag bog 3 nights running). The drinks are good and offer excellent value. We booked the adjoining rooms (often not easy to find) and thought they offered very good value. The bathroom was a little small and the shower arrangement does mean the floor gets flooded and it was very dark but this wasn't an insurmountable problem. The rooms were spacious and you get a lovely balcony area although beware that the beds were not very comfortable. The staff are lovely and very helpful and you can choose to chill by the pool and do nothing or go off on a trip that the hotel will organise or take a tuk-tuk to one of the beaches 10 minutes away. I noticed that one reviewer commented on the road being under construction. There is a road being constructed a few minutes away (not that you can hear it); but it isn't a problem since cars and tuk-tuks only need to be on this road for a minute and can then take a side road to the beach or the main road. Once the road is completed: I'm sure it will be a great help to locals and tourists alike. Its construction certainly makes no difference to your holiday. The same reviewer commented on cats and dogs and there is a dog and a cat at the hotel which adds to the charm. They are sweet and harmless. There are stray dogs in Sri Lanka and Hikkaduwa and its hinterland are no different. If tourists don't like that; there are good local charities that help the dogs and can be supported. As for the negative comment on cleanliness: I am very particular about hygiene and saw nothing that made me concerned. Everything was spotless when we stayed at the hotel. If you do stay...try the half day trip that includes a lake, a turtle hatchery and the (rather harrowing, unsurprisingly) tsunami museum. Don't expect luxury as that's not you're paying for but do expect a lovely hotel with super staff, excellent food and great value for money.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank EREL131
abu dhabi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

Fabulous hotel near hikkadua, sri lanka.great food and lovely staff.enjoyed the local attractions.nearby hikkadua beach with great surfing opportunities..would recommend it for families or couples.downside three hours car journey from the airport

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank emmacullengill
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

This immacutely presented hotel is situated away from the hustle and bustle of Hikkaduwa in a peaceful lagoonside location. Guests can enjoy the pristine swimming pool, make use of the expansive book and dvd collection (dvd players in rooms) and dine at the exceptional hotel restaurant (Sri Lankan food is the star here but also do very good Western menu). Attention to detail is second to none- from welcome drinks on arrival to fresh flowers in the rooms and attentive waiting service from friendly staff.

Room Tip: Jasmine room.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

we stayed here last summer for 5 nights at the end of our 3 week holiday. it was very restful after lots of traveling around. we really enjoyed the lovely rooms, delicious food and very relaxing pool. Tanya and Dale were great hosts and very helpful organizing tuk tuks for us to the beach, galle and other things to do and see in the local area which were of interest to us. The staff were very attentive and welcoming. We all agreed the breakfasts were amazing! A family with 2 sons 11 and 14 who really enjoyed the pool.

Room Tip: good room for a family - has double bedroom and twin bedroom and a balcony
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2014

Beautifully located in quiet countryside with views over a lagoon, Asian Jewel is an excellent choice for a peaceful view days, with an informal friendly atmosphere, staff and really good food. The rooms were lovely and the pool immaculate. Asolutely no problems, we were made very welcome by Dale and thoroughly enjoyed our stay.
Also like to mention Rock Travel who drove us around during the holiday and were absolutely first class.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends