Five months has gone by and I still cannot stop thinking and dreaming of the breathtaking place my partner and myself stayed while we were in Sri Lanka this May. I was one of the lucky ones who were introduced to this little heaven on earth as my partner stayed the previous year. Its name is ‘Asian Jewel Boutique Hotel’ in Hikkaduwa and run by wonderful English couple Dale and Tanya Mahon, who we can honestly say are friends now.
Over the years I stayed in a few 5* hotels around the world but a star isn’t worthy of a place like this. Really it is The Jewel of them all because the place outclasses them all!
How can I explain this place without it sounding like a day to day diary? Every day there was an unexpected surprise one wouldn’t expect from any hotel at any price. I suppose you could call it the personal touch but that is a complete understatement.
I had been told about some of the little (in my opinion massive) personal touches such as fresh flowers in your room and bathroom every day, fresh flowers on your table with every dish. What had really impressed my boyfriend was that his phone charger was neatly wrapped up every day! But the thing that totally impressed me when we returned from our 3 day trip around Sri Lanka Dale organised for us was that my dirty sandy old crocs shoes I had left there were washed and cleaned! The owners weren’t even aware that one of their boys had cleaned them, meaning it wasn’t even part of their ‘job description’. The place is everything because of Tanya and Dale and all the boys too. Each and every one of them contributed in their own way, either by local advice from Dale and Sonny, culinary delights from Tanya and her just wonderful genuine kindness and to the boys all very discreet doing what they did and just making our stay wonderful without giving us a care in the world.
One warning though the food is just too good! Every single bite I had from breakfast, lunch, dinner was mouth watering. There was such a variety with dishes from all around the world to choose from. Tanya’s Thai Curry was the best I have ever tasted and I have tasted a lot and mostly in Thailand! I watch these programmes like Master Chef and after watching them and tasting nearly everything on Asian Jewel’s menu I think Tanya has already won a Michelin star, Michelin just does not know it yet! Am I am allowed to say that? I would seriously go back for the food alone!
After all that I haven’t even mentioned the location and wildlife. About 2 k from Hikkaduwa and from the beach it is hidden overlooking Bird Island. We would sit early every morning drinking coffee we made from the kettle left on our balcony, count approximately 10 different species of tropical birds, watched monitor lizards swimming across the lagoon and seeing such things like a local turning off the ‘light switch’ on each street light.
Overall I cannot recommend this place enough and I haven’t even told you about the luxury divine rooms and swimming pool! Our experience there was made so special that I know I will return.
Thank you Tanya, Dale and the boys for making our stay perfect.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Due to its unique location, the Asian Jewel Hotel, Hikkaduwa - Sri Lanka combines the best of both worlds. Enjoy the tranquility and serenity of the picturesque Bird Lake while being just 2 km inland from Hikkaduwa, one of Sri Lanka's oldest and most established beach resorts. Ever since the very early days of travel, Sri Lanka has been known as one of the world’s most beautiful, diverse and exotic holiday destinations. So, what are you waiting for? ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Traveltool, S.L.U., Odigeo, Agoda, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Asian Jewel Boutique Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Asian Jewel Boutique Hikkaduwa
- Hotel Asian Jewel Boutique