“Heaven on Earth!”

Ranked #3 of 27 Hotels in Hikkaduwa
Galway
“Heaven on Earth!”
Reviewed 7 October 2008

Five months has gone by and I still cannot stop thinking and dreaming of the breathtaking place my partner and myself stayed while we were in Sri Lanka this May. I was one of the lucky ones who were introduced to this little heaven on earth as my partner stayed the previous year. Its name is ‘Asian Jewel Boutique Hotel’ in Hikkaduwa and run by wonderful English couple Dale and Tanya Mahon, who we can honestly say are friends now.

Over the years I stayed in a few 5* hotels around the world but a star isn’t worthy of a place like this. Really it is The Jewel of them all because the place outclasses them all!

How can I explain this place without it sounding like a day to day diary? Every day there was an unexpected surprise one wouldn’t expect from any hotel at any price. I suppose you could call it the personal touch but that is a complete understatement.

I had been told about some of the little (in my opinion massive) personal touches such as fresh flowers in your room and bathroom every day, fresh flowers on your table with every dish. What had really impressed my boyfriend was that his phone charger was neatly wrapped up every day! But the thing that totally impressed me when we returned from our 3 day trip around Sri Lanka Dale organised for us was that my dirty sandy old crocs shoes I had left there were washed and cleaned! The owners weren’t even aware that one of their boys had cleaned them, meaning it wasn’t even part of their ‘job description’. The place is everything because of Tanya and Dale and all the boys too. Each and every one of them contributed in their own way, either by local advice from Dale and Sonny, culinary delights from Tanya and her just wonderful genuine kindness and to the boys all very discreet doing what they did and just making our stay wonderful without giving us a care in the world.

One warning though the food is just too good! Every single bite I had from breakfast, lunch, dinner was mouth watering. There was such a variety with dishes from all around the world to choose from. Tanya’s Thai Curry was the best I have ever tasted and I have tasted a lot and mostly in Thailand! I watch these programmes like Master Chef and after watching them and tasting nearly everything on Asian Jewel’s menu I think Tanya has already won a Michelin star, Michelin just does not know it yet! Am I am allowed to say that? I would seriously go back for the food alone!

After all that I haven’t even mentioned the location and wildlife. About 2 k from Hikkaduwa and from the beach it is hidden overlooking Bird Island. We would sit early every morning drinking coffee we made from the kettle left on our balcony, count approximately 10 different species of tropical birds, watched monitor lizards swimming across the lagoon and seeing such things like a local turning off the ‘light switch’ on each street light.

Overall I cannot recommend this place enough and I haven’t even told you about the luxury divine rooms and swimming pool! Our experience there was made so special that I know I will return.

Thank you Tanya, Dale and the boys for making our stay perfect.

• Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Reviewed 24 August 2008

My husband and I have just returned from a 10 day long holiday in Sri Lanka. The country is beautiful with so much to see but what made our holiday just perfect was our stay at the Asian Jewel in Hikkaduwa. If you are looking for a place that offers the comforts of home, fantastic and personalised service, mouth watering home made food and a serene and relaxing location with a great view (need I say more) then go to the Asian Jewel. The owners Dale & Tanya are just wonderful people and so much fun. The staff are all friendly and always willing to help. Our stay there was just lovely - so much so that we are contemplating going back there pretty soon! It has a great pool and the rooms are airy and have lovely views and interiors and the bathrooms are very clean and big. It is just 5 mins away from the beach and a tuk-tuk (three wheeler) is always available to get you there. Overall - a really relaxing stay in a beautiful place where the owners and staff are just wonderful and treat you like family.

We are so glad that we got the opportunity to experience the Asian Jewel and meet all the wonderful people there...it is a must stay when you go to Hikkaduwa.

• Liked — Everything - the service, the location, the food, the people - everything
Reviewed 23 August 2008

We cannot recommend the Asian Jewel Hotel enough. My Fiancee and I spent 7 wonderful nights at the hotel and returned as husband and wife. Tanya and Dale made us feel welcome and at home from the moment we arrived. Their hotel is lovely but it is the service that sets them apart. The food was excellent, the rooms spotlessly clean and the service from their wonderful staff (Sonny, Dinesh and Vijay) was exemplary.

They also made the arrangements for our wedding which as per our request was a simple but beautiful affair in the garden of the hotel. We never felt under any pressure from them to add extras on to our wedding plans. They made our special day a day we will treasure for the rest of our lives. If you are planning to get married in Sri Lanka then you cannot go wrong doing it at the Asian Jewel.

We certainly plan to return in the future.

• Liked — The personal service
  • Disliked — nothing
Doha
Reviewed 10 August 2008

I cannot more recommend staying at the Asian Jewel after having just spent 5 nights there. The hotel really is an amazing experience, and not just for its accommodation. As many other reviews testify, the hotel provides beautiful rooms, a great pool to relax by, and is in a fantastic location with views overlooking a lagoon. These alone would make for a pleasant stay for anyone. However, it is the whole 'experience' of staying here that makes it so wonderful, and this is thanks to the owners Dale and Tanya. More your friends than simply the service providers, they really make you feel like you belong in the hotel and are part of their family. From the time you arrive to the time you leave, Dale and Tanya make sure they are giving you more than you could ever ask for. Whether it be organising a tour or simply telling you where the best bar is in town, nothing was ever too much trouble. Credit for the excellent stay must also go to their staff, Sunny, VJ and Danesh. These guys are irreplaceable. Full of local knowledge and great entertainers too!
You can read the same in all the other reviews, but my advise is to just book this place and enjoy the experience. Nowhere else in Hikkaduwa will you get the same pleasure that I (and everyone else who has stayed here) did. If you are after a quiet, relaxing stay just 5 mins from the beach, then I more than recommend booking this little piece of paradise!

• Liked — Great place for making friends and having a good laugh
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 August 2008

We have just arrived back from a 4 night stay at the Asian Jewel in Hikkaduwa, and felt we needed to share with others what a wonderful place this is.

Firstly, the standard of rooms is excellent - we enjoyed their luxury room, which includes four poster bed and breathtaking panoramic views from the balcony. What a treat!

Secondly, the owners, our hosts, Dale & Tanya are just the warmest and friendliest people you could ever wish to meet. Others have previously commented in reviews that you feel like you could count them as friends on leaving, which is exactly how we felt when we departed. We were genuinely sad to go.

We certainly will be back, hopefully many times, to catch up on how the baby chipmunks are doing, and to see Suki and Dotty (the sweetest dogs), and catch up with their staff, Sunny, Denesh and VJ - as well as, of course, seeing Dale and Tanya again.

I only hope they don't become too popular otherwise I fear we will be unable to get a room!

• Liked — Relaxed Atmosphere
Reviewed 26 July 2008

When we arrived in Hikkaduwa from Kandy we were in 2 minds about staying at a hotel which wasnt directly on the beach, we were even more unsure when our driver drove us up some very windy broken roads in land and even talked about turning around and finding a hotel on the beach....................

Thank god we didnt!

From the moment we arrived and were greeted by Tanya,Dale their beautiful hotel and fantastic views over the lagoon we knew we were on to a winner.

Our room was very tastefully decorated and included a 4 poster bed, step up double bath and gorgeous views out onto the lagoon.

Tanya's home cooked food was great with the jumbo prawns a real winner, the menu including an extensive european and seafood feel but also featuring some local curry.

For us after being accosted in Colombo and Kandy regularly by locals trying to do the rip off guide act it was a welcome relief to sit with Dale have a beer and be able to ask questions on where to go, what to do and what we should be paying.

Dale and Tanya offered impartial advice on the local restaurants, bars and tours and although they left us to our own devices we ended up spending most of our 4 days in their company at seafront bars and dining in their hotel as they are such a great couple who we now consider as their friends not just guests of their hotel.

We would also like to give a special mention to their Staff, Sunny who was also a brilliant guide and save us lots of money when buying paintings and our big buddha statue, VJ the dancing, singing, entertaining "soux" chef and Denesh the talented artist/housekeeper.....o and sukke the dog!!

Although they are the first to admit they have problems with low power at some points of the day due to the local power system the great rates, staff, accommodation, food and local surroundings make this a insignificance.

Obviously it dosent need to be said that we would recommend to anyone to stay at the Asian Jewel and we just wish we could have extended our Sri Lanka trip to stay longer at the hidden jewel in Hikkaduwa.

We will be back though....maybe to get married!!!

Chris and Carla

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — The loacal power supply
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
Cheltenham
Reviewed 4 May 2008

We have recently returned from a two week stay at The Asiain Jewel - two weeks were not long enough.

The hotel is everything it's website says it is. You get luxury with a very personal service. From the moment we arrived to the moment we left nothing was too much trouble - Dale and Tanya are a wonderful couple and are keen for you to get what you want from their hotel and Sri Lanka.

The staff are very personable, the rooms luxurious and the food devine. We stayed in the luxury room and could not have wished for anything more. The view is both breathtaking and calming.

Dale is very keen to pass on his local knowledge and is happy spending time with you, giving honest information and advice and will arrange any trip or activity that is available. If you are planning to tour any part of the island I would definitely recommend contacting Dale to arrange your tour whether it be at the beginning of your stay, in the middle or even on your way home. He will certainly be able to help.

Tanya's attention to detail is second to none and this helps make the hotel stand out. We stayed at two other hotels while we were in Sri Lanke but neither could compete.

The hotel is away from the beach (only a shourt tuk tuk ride though) but this means you get to learn a little more about life in Sri Lanka.

Tanya and Dale know what we though of them, their hotel and our wonderful holiday - we will definintely be seeing them again. I would recomend this hotel in a second - a supurb location, high standards of cleanliness and food but most of all the hospitality of the real jewels in Hikkaduwa Tanya and Dale.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Leaving !!!!!
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple