“Beautiful, Classy & Tranquil”

Asian Jewel Boutique Hotel
Ranked #3 of 27 Hotels in Hikkaduwa
Chiang Mai, Thailand
“Beautiful, Classy & Tranquil”
Reviewed 8 November 2008

We booked 5 nights at Asian Jewel after reading the TA reviews so we had high expectations and they were well and truly exceeded. What a beautiful hotel! The attention to detail in the rooms and around the property make it a really special, classy place.

We stayed in the luxury room with a four poster bed and raised bathtub big enough for two and it was a gorgeous room (having looked in all the others they are all beautifully furnished and very appealing).

We got married during our stay and Dale was an absolute star organising everything for us. We had some issues at our end with the required paperwork and Dale was endlessly patient (and prompt at answering our many emails) and managed to get the wedding organised despite everything.

As mentioned in other reviews, Tanya is a talented chef and her food is fantastic. The presentation is simply the best I’ve seen – 5 star hotels and fancy restaurants included.

I had reservations about staying inland away from the beach but I’m so glad we did as Asian Jewel is much nicer than any of the other hotels we saw and Dale and Tanya can get you a tuk-tuk into Hikkaduwa no problem so it’s really not an issue to be a little out of the town.

Thanks Dale and Tanya for making our stay so wonderful and for making our wedding happen! We were honoured to have you as our witnesses and we are very much looking forward to our next visit.

Many thanks also to the hardworking and charming staff, Sunny, VJ, Dinesh and Sarath who also helped make our stay so enjoyable.

• Liked — The beautiful rooms and friendly owners and staff
  • Disliked — Only thing we disliked was having to leave!
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kali737

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Staines
Reviewed 15 October 2008

Whilst staying further south on the Sri Lankan coast, we stumbled across the Asian Jewel Boutique Hotel, through recommendations of other Trip Advisors, whilst looking for our next stop on our 2.5 week trip in Sri Lanka.

We originally planned to stay for only two nights, but enjoyed it so much we stayed for four nights and loved every minute of it. It was truly a perfect end to our trip.

We could not fault the accommodation, service, food and overall feeling of being at home and ease with Tanya and Dale, who made us feel so welcome. The little touches of fresh flowers with our meal and the table dressings were amazing.

The team’s attention to detail made us feel spoilt. Including the extra effort they went to, to fetch fresh Aloe Vera for my sunburnt legs and Tanya’s expert advise on home décor.

My only recommendation is not if to go, but when and how long for.

Thank you again Tanya, Dale and the team for a remarkable and memorable stay.

(Ps Dale still got your impression of your folk singing in our minds and it makes us smile! Ohhh….ddiiidddd…..!)

• Liked — Everything
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
Auckland, NZ
Reviewed 13 October 2008

I went to this resort a couple of times as a treat to have lunch and a swim in their pool. The hosts are extremely helpful and knowledgeable about how to get things done, were to go, and what is best to do around Hikkaduwa.
It is inland from the coast and sited in rolling country a 6 minute tuktuk ride from Hikkaduwa beach.
Great view over the lagoon while you eat your meals, and linen napkins were certainly a change !!
No service charge is charged or expected as the staff are paid above the standard rate. As always, a tip can be offered for exceptional service or when your needs have been exceeded.

• Liked — Everything was clean and professionally managed.
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled solo
Galway
Reviewed 7 October 2008

Five months has gone by and I still cannot stop thinking and dreaming of the breathtaking place my partner and myself stayed while we were in Sri Lanka this May. I was one of the lucky ones who were introduced to this little heaven on earth as my partner stayed the previous year. Its name is ‘Asian Jewel Boutique Hotel’ in Hikkaduwa and run by wonderful English couple Dale and Tanya Mahon, who we can honestly say are friends now.

Over the years I stayed in a few 5* hotels around the world but a star isn’t worthy of a place like this. Really it is The Jewel of them all because the place outclasses them all!

How can I explain this place without it sounding like a day to day diary? Every day there was an unexpected surprise one wouldn’t expect from any hotel at any price. I suppose you could call it the personal touch but that is a complete understatement.

I had been told about some of the little (in my opinion massive) personal touches such as fresh flowers in your room and bathroom every day, fresh flowers on your table with every dish. What had really impressed my boyfriend was that his phone charger was neatly wrapped up every day! But the thing that totally impressed me when we returned from our 3 day trip around Sri Lanka Dale organised for us was that my dirty sandy old crocs shoes I had left there were washed and cleaned! The owners weren’t even aware that one of their boys had cleaned them, meaning it wasn’t even part of their ‘job description’. The place is everything because of Tanya and Dale and all the boys too. Each and every one of them contributed in their own way, either by local advice from Dale and Sonny, culinary delights from Tanya and her just wonderful genuine kindness and to the boys all very discreet doing what they did and just making our stay wonderful without giving us a care in the world.

One warning though the food is just too good! Every single bite I had from breakfast, lunch, dinner was mouth watering. There was such a variety with dishes from all around the world to choose from. Tanya’s Thai Curry was the best I have ever tasted and I have tasted a lot and mostly in Thailand! I watch these programmes like Master Chef and after watching them and tasting nearly everything on Asian Jewel’s menu I think Tanya has already won a Michelin star, Michelin just does not know it yet! Am I am allowed to say that? I would seriously go back for the food alone!

After all that I haven’t even mentioned the location and wildlife. About 2 k from Hikkaduwa and from the beach it is hidden overlooking Bird Island. We would sit early every morning drinking coffee we made from the kettle left on our balcony, count approximately 10 different species of tropical birds, watched monitor lizards swimming across the lagoon and seeing such things like a local turning off the ‘light switch’ on each street light.

Overall I cannot recommend this place enough and I haven’t even told you about the luxury divine rooms and swimming pool! Our experience there was made so special that I know I will return.

Thank you Tanya, Dale and the boys for making our stay perfect.

• Liked — Everything
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
Dubai
Reviewed 24 August 2008

My husband and I have just returned from a 10 day long holiday in Sri Lanka. The country is beautiful with so much to see but what made our holiday just perfect was our stay at the Asian Jewel in Hikkaduwa. If you are looking for a place that offers the comforts of home, fantastic and personalised service, mouth watering home made food and a serene and relaxing location with a great view (need I say more) then go to the Asian Jewel. The owners Dale & Tanya are just wonderful people and so much fun. The staff are all friendly and always willing to help. Our stay there was just lovely - so much so that we are contemplating going back there pretty soon! It has a great pool and the rooms are airy and have lovely views and interiors and the bathrooms are very clean and big. It is just 5 mins away from the beach and a tuk-tuk (three wheeler) is always available to get you there. Overall - a really relaxing stay in a beautiful place where the owners and staff are just wonderful and treat you like family.

We are so glad that we got the opportunity to experience the Asian Jewel and meet all the wonderful people there...it is a must stay when you go to Hikkaduwa.

• Liked — Everything - the service, the location, the food, the people - everything
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
Dubai
Reviewed 23 August 2008

We cannot recommend the Asian Jewel Hotel enough. My Fiancee and I spent 7 wonderful nights at the hotel and returned as husband and wife. Tanya and Dale made us feel welcome and at home from the moment we arrived. Their hotel is lovely but it is the service that sets them apart. The food was excellent, the rooms spotlessly clean and the service from their wonderful staff (Sonny, Dinesh and Vijay) was exemplary.

They also made the arrangements for our wedding which as per our request was a simple but beautiful affair in the garden of the hotel. We never felt under any pressure from them to add extras on to our wedding plans. They made our special day a day we will treasure for the rest of our lives. If you are planning to get married in Sri Lanka then you cannot go wrong doing it at the Asian Jewel.

We certainly plan to return in the future.

• Liked — The personal service
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
Doha
Reviewed 10 August 2008

I cannot more recommend staying at the Asian Jewel after having just spent 5 nights there. The hotel really is an amazing experience, and not just for its accommodation. As many other reviews testify, the hotel provides beautiful rooms, a great pool to relax by, and is in a fantastic location with views overlooking a lagoon. These alone would make for a pleasant stay for anyone. However, it is the whole 'experience' of staying here that makes it so wonderful, and this is thanks to the owners Dale and Tanya. More your friends than simply the service providers, they really make you feel like you belong in the hotel and are part of their family. From the time you arrive to the time you leave, Dale and Tanya make sure they are giving you more than you could ever ask for. Whether it be organising a tour or simply telling you where the best bar is in town, nothing was ever too much trouble. Credit for the excellent stay must also go to their staff, Sunny, VJ and Danesh. These guys are irreplaceable. Full of local knowledge and great entertainers too!
You can read the same in all the other reviews, but my advise is to just book this place and enjoy the experience. Nowhere else in Hikkaduwa will you get the same pleasure that I (and everyone else who has stayed here) did. If you are after a quiet, relaxing stay just 5 mins from the beach, then I more than recommend booking this little piece of paradise!

• Liked — Great place for making friends and having a good laugh
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled solo