“Not worth the money”
Review of Suite Lanka

Suite Lanka
Ranked #10 of 27 Hotels in Hikkaduwa
Reviewed 21 February 2012

I stayed here with my partner in September 2011. We were really excited to be staying there as we thought it was going to be de luxe (considering the price!).

We had a room on ground level facing onto the beach. It was incredibly beautiful. Unfortunately, the room was not worth what they were charging for it. Everything was a bit run-down. The door locks had been eroded so much by the salty air that I got locked into the bathroom and management had to break open the door with a crowbar. The door was left broken for the remaining 3 days of our stay! The lights didn't work properly and in the evenings we found ourselves stumbling around in the darkness of our room rather frequently (and it wasn't due to power outages, just faulty electrics).

The staff were alright but mentioned a couple of times to 'give them a good review' which really irritated me because a) the hotel wasn't really up to scratch (especially after being stuck in the bathroom for ages) and b) it's up to me what type of review I decide to leave and it depends completely on my experience.

The best part about the hotel was the restaurant. The food was pretty delicious and definitely something I remember most fondly about the hotel.

I will also say that while the beach is pretty nice, I personally found the beach in Unawatuna much better for amenities and the sea was much calmer for swimming. Also, I stayed in a nicer hotel for far cheaper!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank lavajonation

Reviewed 14 December 2011

I am usually only inclined to write reviews if a hotel either impresses me greatly, or fails on the other end of that spectrum. Neither am I the kind of person who finds it necessary to write a negative review because I found an ant on my pillow. However as a trustworthy individual who has stayed at many hotels over the years, and several in Sri Lanka as of the time of this review, I can tell you... or rather warn you, this hotels is absolutely and completely overpriced!

This, I would assume, is the consequence of an owner who has delusions of grandeur, but deluded he is. Even if you manage to find a good on-line rate ($157), it is still rather expensive for Sri-Lanka, but once you add the tax and service charge, it comes to around $200 a night. Now, let me tell you, that for less that this, you can sit in the lap of luxury... right in it's lap.

Now, the hotel isn't terrible... It was fairly clean, and yes, the balcony are big, and yes, the location is ok. But these factors do not make a great hotel.

It has a family run feeling, and the people are nice and they do their work well enough. But the whole hotel wreaks of management desperate to make money and cut corners at every opportunity. Old towels, no toiletries of in room refreshments such as coffee etc. A milky white pool, a breakfast that can be described as such. Coffee. 1 Ring of pineapple, a slice of papaya, a juice, and 2 eggs prepared any of 3 ways. Not to mention wild dogs who seemed to like the company of the hotel guests during breakfast.

We are also constantly reminded to keep the doors locked at all times, especially at night, something to give any traveller piece of mind.

All fine, but like I say, for $200 a night in Sri Lanka, this is a crazy joke and is clearly the result of a greedy management.

May I recommend this... buy nice new towels, new fridges, some nice toiletries, a new filtration system for your pool, fix the doors, get some better locks on the doors, give better value drinks and food, clean the windows more !!! change the bar and entrance areas to be more inviting. Buy new uniforms. put a small fence to keep the dogs out... and then lower your price slightly, instead of investing all you money in to web site design that does not reflect the ambiance of the hotel at all.

As it stands, I will tell everybody who read this review, that for $200 do not consider this to be a wise choice for your money in any way. Currently it is a bare bones, slightly tired base, with a nice looking frontage, that is pretending to be something it's not, with some fairly nice staff.

Room Tip: I would not pay more than $80 including tax for this hotel as it is.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
12  Thank coincidence
Reviewed 2 December 2011

My husband and I just celebrated our 10 year Wedding Anniversary in Sri Lanka and the Suite Lanka was the perfect setting and hotel we could have wished for.
The hotel is direct on the beach and each room has the most amazing sea views, it is about a 10 minute walk along the beach to the main surf and food area but this was a really nice walk except you will need a torch at night!.

The rooms were very nice and the beds have mosquito nets which came in handy so did the mini bar which was a tad expensive but to be expected in a hotel. The balconies are huge with seating area and rail to dry towels and beach wear. There are plenty of sunbeds and the beach and sea really clean.

The staffs here are brilliant, really attentive and nothing is too much trouble for them which was really refreshing. With the help of my husband! They arranged a very romantic anniversary dinner despite the rain ... and the food was amazing. In fact for me the food was probably the best I had during the stay and no more expensive than some of the beach shacks and restaurants, with amazing fresh fish and the best curry..
So to sum it up we had an amazing time and when we go back this would be the only place we would want to stay in Hikkaduwa with out a doubt so thank you to the Manager and staff for contributing to a wonderful holiday :-)

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Michellemebelle
Reviewed 28 November 2011

Just sitting here with a glass after 21 hours or so of travel to get back to uk and have to give the staff and the hotel itself a big thanks for lovely 10 days.
Hikkaduwa is a mish mash of stoners, surfers, drinkers and tourers and with the suite lanka it kind of felt nice to be just that little bit up the road, you can dip in when you want but relax in the knowledge that its too far for the space cadet you've been drinking with the night before to be bothered to make the effort to come and cadge more drinks off you!
The hotel is most definately one of if not the best looking place on the whole seafront. Staff are excellent. It may be a bit quiet for some tastes of course but if youre comming to hikaduwa you probably know the score.
The manager looks quite a bit like that martin lawrence as well, bad boys bad boys watcha gunna do?
We had a great time here and would definately recommend!

• Stayed: November 2011
2  Thank Phil R
Reviewed 10 November 2011

The hotel was in a perfect spot. You sit right on the beach and watch the waves crash as you are eating breakfast, drinking tea, or coffee. The location is far away for peace, and close enough for a 10 min walk to other restaurants and souvenir shops. The staff was amazing!!! If you wanted to do tours or whatever your heart desired the staff was there to help. My husband and I are definitely going back to visit. The food at the hotel was excellent and the hospitality was welcoming.

Room Tip: You are not in the room unless you want to a nap during the day. The only time you are in your room...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Natasha H
Reviewed 1 August 2011

As a local i am truly surprised by this family run hotel with only just six rooms, but the attention to detail is amazing. The staff is wonderful and our three days over there was such a lovely experience. Located just few minutes away from the hustle and bustle of hikkaduwa, this hotel manages to offer you the quiet layed back atmosphere.
The food is also very very good. Please keep up the good work...and we ll be back!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ron18us
Reviewed 19 June 2011

Location, location, location! Right on the beach, on its own, but with a ten minutes walk to a little more action and beach restaurants. The hotel is a gem with excellent service and nice rooms. As another visitor wrote, the rooms are a little worn down, but it doesn't matter. The balconies are the best!! The breakfast served was nice, but usuallyd not served before eight. We had dinner at the hotel the first evening. The food was delicious, but the surroundings a little too quiet.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple