“Worst place in Sri Lanka!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Suite Lanka

Suite Lanka
Ranked #10 of 27 Hotels in Hikkaduwa
karachi
“Worst place in Sri Lanka!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2012

Terrible place. Visit as 2 couples in 2011. Its filthy. Its small. Its creepy, dark and dingy.The rooms are big, but furnishings from the 60's. The bathrooms need an overhaul. The shower had a trickle, and no hot water. The towels were the crappiest towels we had ever used, the water didn't try! It was ridiculous. Its locked up at night and there's one inept old man guard who can't speak english. There's no phone in the rooms. Only a bell, which we rung 10 times before the guard came. Our A/C leaked and flooded the room..it was hot and humid, plus there was a river in the room. We called our travel agency and said we wanted out of there. The owner, who was an extremely rude man sitting in Europe refused to believe us and refund our money. At that point we didn't care, we just wanted to get out. There were only two people present the next morning, they apologized but laughed at our awful sleepless night - we paid for the one night and got out of there asap. Our travel agency negotiated with them and got the money refunded but not before the greedy little man took some for himself. Spend some of it on your hotel and maybe people wouldn't have such an awful time. I can't believe the reviews on this hotel it should be listed as the worst hotel in the world. @ $80 a night to be paid in advance, its total crap. Don't do it.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank farphoto
, Manager at Suite Lanka, responded to this review, 8 July 2012
Dear guests,

I am so sorry to realize that you are obviously still very frustrated about your brief stay, that you have to write such a comment one year (!!!) after your stay.
I perfectly recall the situation that your travel agent called me a couple of times after your arrival, informing that you weren´t happy at all.
As in general june is the month when the monsoon reaches its peak, it´s indeed more humid than during the rest of the year.
Unfortunately this evening one airconditioning system broke down. The manager arranged some technical help and the next morning the system had been repaired.
Again I am terribly sorry for that. However having the privilege of being at this stunning location, we are facing major problems with all technical equipment, caused by the seabreeze, specially during monsoon season. We are trying our outmost to prevent impact to our guests well being and I am sorry, if we have failed in your case.

As during your brief stay I have always talked to your travel agent by phone and never to you.
I am therefore surprised that you call me a rude man without even knowing me.
As well I like to clarify that the confirmation for the refund to you has been made already while talking to your travel agent. I will recheck with them who is the "greedy little man" you are mentioning in your comment.

Finally I would like to inform you that we have closed down the hotel in may and june 2012 for a huge renovation. Please see the result at www.suitelanka.com/tour
If you wish to make your own personal experience, please let me know when you are intending to visit again and I will make sure that you will have a great stay.

Roland Galka
Owner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Greek first
Headley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2012

There is no doubt the position of this small hotel is excellent, the staff were very pleasant, but the rooms were dated but had lovely views. Food was good but not excellent, broadband reliability was poor.

Although the beach is only 50 meters from your door the ocean is too dangerous with under currents and rip tides to swim in, a point the brochure do not mention

We sadly had a poor experience. We somebody walking off the beach and trying to get into our room at 4.15am one morning. It was all a bit scary but highlighted by the fact the would be villain must have walked straight past the "all night security" who are supposed to prevent this.

The manager did not take the situation seriously, although he promised the windows would be screwed shut for the next evening, this did not happen. I eventually at 10pm at night had to find some wire and do the best I could and wire the windows shut.

Nice place, nice staff, superb position, very poor management

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Andrew M
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

I have just returned from a 2 week trip around Sri Lanka and spent 5 fantastic nights at Suite Lanka.

My boyfriend and I stayed in the cheapest room on the first floor of the hotel. We had a large balcony with an amazing sea view. The rooms were kept immaculately clean and the mini bar was topped up everyday. We really thought this hotel was fantastic value for money. It is a little piece of luxury in Hikkadewa. The staff really made our stay - they are all so polite and friendly, and were always checking that we were having a lovely time.

The food was absolutely delicious and we really liked the Chef who would chat and reccomend any catch of the day etc ... I would strongly reccomend the sea food pasta, sri lankan curry and chicken kebab! I would say you have to be patient though or order your food earlier and they will have it ready for a certain time. We tried other restraunts but this was by far the nicest meals we ate in hikkadewa.

I strongly disagree with the last 2 reviews on here. The beach towels were lovely and clean and came with a fresh orchid every day! The pool was cleaned daily and there was always extra towels. Yes the secruity did remind us to lock our rooms at night but I think this was just them genuinely caring for their guests.

We found out that the hotel was shutting for a month to update all the bathrooms in April. If you are looking for a little piece of luxury within 10 mins walk of a bit of nightlife and shops stay here! We paid around £90 for B and B.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lisa H
Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

I stayed here with my partner in September 2011. We were really excited to be staying there as we thought it was going to be de luxe (considering the price!).

We had a room on ground level facing onto the beach. It was incredibly beautiful. Unfortunately, the room was not worth what they were charging for it. Everything was a bit run-down. The door locks had been eroded so much by the salty air that I got locked into the bathroom and management had to break open the door with a crowbar. The door was left broken for the remaining 3 days of our stay! The lights didn't work properly and in the evenings we found ourselves stumbling around in the darkness of our room rather frequently (and it wasn't due to power outages, just faulty electrics).

The staff were alright but mentioned a couple of times to 'give them a good review' which really irritated me because a) the hotel wasn't really up to scratch (especially after being stuck in the bathroom for ages) and b) it's up to me what type of review I decide to leave and it depends completely on my experience.

The best part about the hotel was the restaurant. The food was pretty delicious and definitely something I remember most fondly about the hotel.

I will also say that while the beach is pretty nice, I personally found the beach in Unawatuna much better for amenities and the sea was much calmer for swimming. Also, I stayed in a nicer hotel for far cheaper!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank lavajonation
prague
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2011

I am usually only inclined to write reviews if a hotel either impresses me greatly, or fails on the other end of that spectrum. Neither am I the kind of person who finds it necessary to write a negative review because I found an ant on my pillow. However as a trustworthy individual who has stayed at many hotels over the years, and several in Sri Lanka as of the time of this review, I can tell you... or rather warn you, this hotels is absolutely and completely overpriced!

This, I would assume, is the consequence of an owner who has delusions of grandeur, but deluded he is. Even if you manage to find a good on-line rate ($157), it is still rather expensive for Sri-Lanka, but once you add the tax and service charge, it comes to around $200 a night. Now, let me tell you, that for less that this, you can sit in the lap of luxury... right in it's lap.

Now, the hotel isn't terrible... It was fairly clean, and yes, the balcony are big, and yes, the location is ok. But these factors do not make a great hotel.

It has a family run feeling, and the people are nice and they do their work well enough. But the whole hotel wreaks of management desperate to make money and cut corners at every opportunity. Old towels, no toiletries of in room refreshments such as coffee etc. A milky white pool, a breakfast that can be described as such. Coffee. 1 Ring of pineapple, a slice of papaya, a juice, and 2 eggs prepared any of 3 ways. Not to mention wild dogs who seemed to like the company of the hotel guests during breakfast.

We are also constantly reminded to keep the doors locked at all times, especially at night, something to give any traveller piece of mind.

All fine, but like I say, for $200 a night in Sri Lanka, this is a crazy joke and is clearly the result of a greedy management.

May I recommend this... buy nice new towels, new fridges, some nice toiletries, a new filtration system for your pool, fix the doors, get some better locks on the doors, give better value drinks and food, clean the windows more !!! change the bar and entrance areas to be more inviting. Buy new uniforms. put a small fence to keep the dogs out... and then lower your price slightly, instead of investing all you money in to web site design that does not reflect the ambiance of the hotel at all.

As it stands, I will tell everybody who read this review, that for $200 do not consider this to be a wise choice for your money in any way. Currently it is a bare bones, slightly tired base, with a nice looking frontage, that is pretending to be something it's not, with some fairly nice staff.

Room Tip: I would not pay more than $80 including tax for this hotel as it is.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
12 Thank coincidence
Sandwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2011

My husband and I just celebrated our 10 year Wedding Anniversary in Sri Lanka and the Suite Lanka was the perfect setting and hotel we could have wished for.
The hotel is direct on the beach and each room has the most amazing sea views, it is about a 10 minute walk along the beach to the main surf and food area but this was a really nice walk except you will need a torch at night!.

The rooms were very nice and the beds have mosquito nets which came in handy so did the mini bar which was a tad expensive but to be expected in a hotel. The balconies are huge with seating area and rail to dry towels and beach wear. There are plenty of sunbeds and the beach and sea really clean.

The staffs here are brilliant, really attentive and nothing is too much trouble for them which was really refreshing. With the help of my husband! They arranged a very romantic anniversary dinner despite the rain ... and the food was amazing. In fact for me the food was probably the best I had during the stay and no more expensive than some of the beach shacks and restaurants, with amazing fresh fish and the best curry..
So to sum it up we had an amazing time and when we go back this would be the only place we would want to stay in Hikkaduwa with out a doubt so thank you to the Manager and staff for contributing to a wonderful holiday :-)

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Michellemebelle
Sandwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2011

Just sitting here with a glass after 21 hours or so of travel to get back to uk and have to give the staff and the hotel itself a big thanks for lovely 10 days.
Hikkaduwa is a mish mash of stoners, surfers, drinkers and tourers and with the suite lanka it kind of felt nice to be just that little bit up the road, you can dip in when you want but relax in the knowledge that its too far for the space cadet you've been drinking with the night before to be bothered to make the effort to come and cadge more drinks off you!
The hotel is most definately one of if not the best looking place on the whole seafront. Staff are excellent. It may be a bit quiet for some tastes of course but if youre comming to hikaduwa you probably know the score.
The manager looks quite a bit like that martin lawrence as well, bad boys bad boys watcha gunna do?
We had a great time here and would definately recommend!

• Stayed November 2011