“Incredible food, amazing curries, ate there daily!”

Drifter's Hotel Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #74 of 111 Restaurants in Hikkaduwa
Cuisines: Asian
Tucson, Arizona
“Incredible food, amazing curries, ate there daily!”
Reviewed 28 February 2013

I had emergency business in Hikkaduwa and was there alone for Christmas.
I "drifted" into Drifters while walking down the beach looking for nice place to have lunch. The hotel I was staying at had no open restaurant. Drifters is best spot on beach for swimming so i went there,
I was in Hikkaduwa for a week and tried several places, nothing was even close to Drifters, the food was amazing, every day I tried different curry dishes and the nice owner made suggestions. The prawn curry was my favorite, extremely cheap $7 a meal with many side dishes, a beer or two, and soda and water.
I was invited to dine there for a Christmas dinner buffet and it was great, lots of fun and cheered up a lonely traveler missing is family on the holiday, If I ever make it back to Hikkaduwa, I plan to sty and eat there,

• Visited December 2012

shanghai
“Great Location and Friendly staff”
Reviewed 29 April 2012

Great location for surfing. Step onto the beach and walk 50 meters to a great beach break. Hotel is located between two board rental shops on the beach. On hot days the pool was especially refreshing. The night life is located about 400 meters down the beach on either side of the hotel. This is critical as i would not have wanted to stay in a place where i could hear the music from the beach bars which lasted until late into the morning. Hotel was fortunately located in a quite spot of the beach with no loud bars nearby. After surfing in the morning i would order breakfast in the restaurant which over looks the surf break. I especially liked this aspect of being able to eat while watching others catch waves.

• Visited April 2012
Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, Costa Rica
“Fantastic!”
Reviewed 3 April 2012

Have eaten here several times whilst on Holiday in Hikka, the food is great, the service is perfect, Highly recomend a visit if you're in the area.

Visited May 2011
london
“Uncomfortable rooms but right on the surf beach”
Reviewed 4 February 2012

I thought this was overpriced with small rooms, small beds, one of my worst night's sleep on the trip. In Sri Lanka prices seem to rocket if there's AC and sometimes fan is nicer. Good breakfast though and a nice family, free wi-fi in restaurant right on the beach. For me this bit of beach is too busy with people coming round bothering you with snakes etc Lots of eastern Europeans and bars. I prefer Dodanduwa and the quiet parts further towards Galle.

Visited March 2011
1 Thank LondonSunlounger
Wellington, New Zealand
“Beach restaurant perfection”
Reviewed 3 February 2011

I have to rave about this place. We stayed at the hotel and as it was hot we opted to eat there for one meal but after that meal we just had to keep coming. If you like seafood then Lalith and his family cook and serve it perfectly. The produce is fresh, they show it to you and then they cook it the way you like it. For our dinners we had crab, huge prawns, lobster all cooked perfectly. We tried other places in Hikkaduwa but they did not quite match up to Drifters. Lunch is ordered and served on the beach or in the restaurant if you so wish, all the classic beach foods and then some are on the menu. The only slightly negative comment is the decor but having said that you would not want to change toomuch on one side is a swimming pool and on the other is the beach what more could you ask for??

• Visited January 2011