“Pigeon Island is a must see”

Poseidon Diving Station Sri Lanka
Ranked #3 of 31 Tours in Hikkaduwa
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Poseidon Diving Trincomalee is a PADI five start Instructor Development Centre. Open from April until October we offer daily diving trips for qualified divers try diving experiences for beginners and all PADI diving courses from the beginner's open water to instructor training. We also run whale and dolphin watching trips and snorkelling trips to Pigeon Island Reserve.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

I arrived in Hikka after recommendations to dive in the south of Sri Lanka. But the waves are too big now. Season is Nov-Apr here. Poseidan directed me to their dive shop near Trincomalee in Nilaveli.

I dove two days here, $75 for a two tank dive plus $17 for the pigeon island marine park entrance. I would recommend you dive inside the park as there was much more to see than outside. Plus the island is quite scenic so it is nice to walk around during your surface interval.

Staff is very friendly. Would recommend.

Only tip would be do not stay at the Pigeon Island View Guest house (the dive shop is located in the hotel) they vary prices from 2500 to 5000 rupees depending on how much they think you will pay. They do not follow the prices listed on their website. Internet doesn't work and there is no where close to eat at night. I would recommend Shahira good prices, great staff, hotel restaurant, and other restaurants close, 20 minute walk to Poseidan dive shop down the beach.

1  Thank shannonb81

Reviewed 13 April 2014

We, two sisters from the Netherlands, visited Poseidon for a few days and really liked the people working there; So friendly, helpful, caring and a lot of fun! Under water we hoped for more colorful corals (therefore you must go to Trincomalae apparently, also a Poseidon diving station overthere) but still made some great dives and saw amazing fish. I wouldn't have wanted to get my PADI somewehere else. Thank you guys, for this lovely experience! - Mary & Kate

1  Thank Mary K
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Diving was a long life dream for me, and I was lucky enough to make it come true at Poseidon diving station.Funnily I was so scared and almost quit after my first day, but my instructor Praveen
made me feel so secure and confident underwater-I had to stay. It is important to know you can relay on your diving team, professional-yes, fun-hell yes! I recommend Poseidon with all of my heart.

1  Thank noofik
Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

I chose Poseidon because they were a 5 star PADI diving center, and, I was not disappointed.
They ask you the appropriate questions, when you arrive, their equipment is good, and the instructors are experienced, and very good with pedagogy.
I dived with Praveen, for my Open Water Diving certification, and he immediately made me feel confortable under the water, and made sure, later, that I was able to perform the different required skills.

Reviewed 14 February 2014

I am a PADI Assistant Instructor & BSAC Instructor & this review is an evaluation of their operation which I also fed back to them after 2 dives in February 2014. There are ONLY TWO PADI accredited dive centres in Hikkaduwa, this being one of them.
I was pleased the critical questions concerning my qualification level & date of last dive were asked. However, they did not use the standard PADI medical questionnaire but an abbreviated version (not sure of legal standing of this if any subsequent problems). I was assured that they carried oxygen on board boats. Their standard was two boat dives with surface interval on board. Two dives cost €45 (including equipment hire). I used my own mask and computer. At 26 degree water, I used rash vest & shorts & 4 kg of their weights. It was apparent that their weights had variation from the standard kg multiples.
(In passing, IDC is conventionally accepted to mean Instructor Development Course. Another unaccredited centre in Hikkaduwa uses it to mean International Diving Center!). As I write Poseidon's web domain is unrenewed (poor for a PADI professional organisation)

These are the areas I would critically comment on:
* All dive guides should introduce themselves. I had no idea who I dived with.
* Critical components of safety briefing were being overlooked. I had to ask about procedure concerning lost diver & how many Bar should be 1st notified to guides. We were never told the signal guides used to ask how much air left.
* Briefing indicated exit from boat at front but in reality exits were from anywhere.
* Two dives were too similar. They could have been same except for depth. This seems either lazy planning, fuel saving or lack of inspiration.
* They had no system to differentiate used & new tanks once on boat.
* Buddy checks were never mentioned, monitored or encouraged. (Divers are self responsible but it is easy to forget if you don't remember BWRAF)
* There were many for whom this was a first dive with Poseidon. Weight check & monitoring the ability to equalize was non existent or cursory.
* After giant stride entry, an OK to boat brought no response as no one was looking.
* Low viz required better monitoring of divers. DM looked behind infrequently.
* There was complete disinterest in dive debrief & log book signing.
* I used 2 regs for 2 dives where primary mouthpiece on 2nd stage was unusable. They had deficient equipment checking procedures.

It would not be inconceivable for a diver to be given a used tank for 2nd dive, never check contents or not turn on 1st stage, giant stride, no-one watching & big problem results.

I hope Poseidon note these comments as they are intended to be helpful.

15  Thank Scubascubydoo