“What a wonderful discovery!”
Review of Roman Beach

Roman Beach
Islamabad, Pakistan
“What a wonderful discovery!”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I booked this Hotel on line and I was so pleased that I did! It was a wonderful; slice of heaven from the moment we arrived until the moment we checked out. Nothing was too much for Chamara and his amazing team. We felt like we were the only guests and every need was catered for. The wonderful Kumar looks after you in the restaurant and is a lovely man. I celebrated a birthday and the Hotel designed the most amazing menu from sushi to lobster thermidor and a handmade chocolate ganache birthday cake. The hotel will not have its drinks licence until December 2014 but that as Chamara assured me and I confirm is true, is no problem. Kalu the amazing Tuktuk man is on hand and he is kindness personified. I have never felt safe in a tuktuk until Kālu took us to Galle and Hikkaduwa. The Roman Beach Hotel ranks as one of the best hotels I have booked on line. I will highly recommend it to all my family & friends.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Emperor room on the top floor and it was gorgeous
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Donna49

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 24 July 2014

This is a great place to chill out and wind down. It is an amazing location, the rooms are heavenly and well designed and well appointed. They are also scrupulously clean. I found the staff extremely helpful.

What dissappointed me was that for the price I paid in the low season $180 USD nett my sheets were not changed for the entire length of my stay. Even though the top sheet had lipstick marks and the pillow slip had mascara on it. I expected more. I travel a lot both professionally and personally and I go out of my way to choose smaller boutiqu style hotels because of the personalized service. Somehow there was something missing here.

Chamara the Manager was very generous and took me out to see their other property a Geoffrey Bawa design which took my breath away. I would definitely like to stay at that property although a little bit out of the way. I hope the feedback is taken in the spirit that is given. I still had a great time winding down and lying in the sun.

Room Tip: Ask for the middle room on the first floor. And remember this hotel does not have a liquor license a...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Tamvoir
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We stayed for one night in the second week of July. The rooms were spacious and and had a very rustic feel to it. The room had a good view of the sea and the pool. However the quality of the food wasn't very good. Given that majority of our group was vegetarian, there wasn't much of choice. In the lunch menu, there were no vegetarian mains mentioned and my sister ended up having the same meal she had the night before and what was later recommended by staff to myself was of poor quality. For breakfast we had to suggest what they could make for vegetarians as they weren't sure what to offer. We couldn't enjoy the beach much either as it was quite rough, and someone recommended that we drive towards the city centre to enjoy the beach.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Gimhani L
Melbourne
Reviewed 30 June 2014

This boutique hotel is fabulous. We stayed here for 3 nights at the beginning of July and were amazed by the helpful staff and wonderful surrounds. The beach, whilst rough, was lovely to watch and listen to, and the pool was a delight. The manager was kind enough to let our friends use the pool as well, as their hotel didn't have one. The breakfasts were delicious and relaxing and whole place had a peaceful vibe about it. We just loved it.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank travellingturners77
Doha, Qatar
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We ended our two week tour of Sri-Lanka here and to be honest it was a bit of a let down. We were a larger group, occupying four of the six rooms. Check-in was a long process and no one seemed to want to tell us what was taking so long. Staff were very helpful in taking bags up to our rooms. Rooms were spacious, beds quite large, views were really beautiful and the bathroom décor was very impressive, but the cleaniness needs to be questioned. I don't believe the linen was dirty, but the stains on the bedding, the curtains, the furniture really was disgusting. The towels are in desperate need of an upgrade. When the towels are fraying, it's clear they need to be replaced. We were shocked to find out that alcohol is not served...a little disappointed at not being able to enjoy a cocktail by the pool. But BY is not a problem. They were able to provide glassware, bottle openers and ice buckets when asked. Need to advise guests of the requirement of giving plenty of notice to the kitchen if you wish to have dinner, or order a Sri-Lankan breakfast. We waited for two hours for dinner....with two hungry children in tow! And then a childs order was wrong. No apology from the chef, no offer to correct the order...very frustrating. The meals were okay, but after the food we had experienced during our two weeks in SL the food here was a let down. The location is good. The beach was very rough due to monsoon season, so care must be taken if you plan on playing in the waves. A special thank you to the staff who organized the Australian Network channel for us, we really appreciated the efforts and to the staff who rose early to help us with our departure and packed breakfast for us, that too was really appreciated by all members of our group.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank MissinYue2013
Basel, Switzerland
Reviewed 30 May 2014

We really enjoyed our stay there, almost everything was good to perfect. Its not the cheapest place around, ok. But you get wonderful rooms and a nice peaceful location. Friendly and helpful staff. The only thing we had to find out by ourselfes was to order the Sri Lankan Style breakfast the evening before.
And the only drawback was the A/C in room 104, this device definitely needs maintenance.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Shiran A, Director of Sales at Roman Beach, responded to this review, 4 November 2015
Thank you very much for your lovely review. Your comments noted. we will take corrective actions.
Please do come again and help us by introducing Roman Beach to your friends.

Thank you.
Shiran
HCM City Vietnam
Reviewed 22 May 2014

I arrived at night time at the Roman Beach and chose it because I was tired of travelling that day. It looked calm ...I have to say that the rooms with spacious bathroom and balcony were really nice. One of the staff kept asking me about Englsih classes which was a little annoying ...The swimming pool was nice and everthing was pleasing...I am a resident in Sri Lanka and I do feel that the price was really excessive...I paid Rs 20000 (90GPB- 150 $) more expensive than the Galle Face one of the more prestigious hotels in SL and similar the the wonderful Heritage, Dambulla though for that price there was an individual luxury bungalow and half board..!! The Chaya in Trinco is cheaper with private beach and massive array of food for breakfast...The food at the Roman Beach although nicely presented offered no choice, same old egg and toast and jam fruit etc.just like a cheaper guest house.....again for the price not good enough...This was out of season so I thought that making me pay that amount was really not honest...

Room Tip: question the price especially out of season..it's over rated...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Shiran A, Director of Sales at Roman Beach, responded to this review, 24 May 2014
Hi Thank you for your comments we appreciate that.
Firstly let me thank you again for the positive comments you have made with regard to the hotel. Corrective action will taken where necessary.
With regard to the price ... Were you aware at the time of checking in the price you were paying for the room? If not please let me know.

We are a 6 room boutique hotel. Which means we have most of the facilities of a 5 star and additional privacy and personalised service. We have a total of 16 staff,( professional ) well equipped kitchen, full sized swimming pool , luxury large rooms , satellite TV, unlimited Wi-Fi , the hotel is well maintained with high cleanliness & hygienic standards, 24 hr security etc. Unfortunately all our fixed costs need to be recovered with just 6 rooms. Hence the rates that we need to charge to operate effectively. It is not unusual to find this kind of rates being charged by boutique hotels in all parts of the globe.
On the contrary Most of the larger hotels can afford to offer better rates and it is a well known fact.
We are sorry that we have not been able to fall in line with your price expectations!

Best regards