“Second Time”

Cuisines: Asian, European
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I returned to this restaurant because it has a great view and the food was pretty good the first time. This is my 7th trip to Sri Lanka and my 6th visit to Hikkaduwa. I ate at Tigri Beach Restaurant for a late lunch this time and enjoyed the food. I ordered Chicken Noodles and my partner had chicken curry. The presentation of the food was nice and there was plenty to eat. My dish was not hot at all as I requested, while my partner's was a spicy as he liked. The beer was very cold and the breeze cooling.

The waiter also cooked the food and we had to wait about 45 minutes which I did not mind since it meant that the food was fresh.

1  Thank beckynmax

Reviewed 28 February 2014

Have read good reviews about that place so decided to visit. Nice location, terrace above the waves, nice view. We were alone in the restaurant that evening. First we asked about full fish but one proposed for cocking was definitely rotten and stank meters around so we ordered mixed prawns, which were served fast but seemed to be not fresh too. Or maybe they just captured the fragrance of firstly proposed fish. Do not know exactly but this was the first time in Sri Lanka that we didn't finished the plate of prawns. Had no consequences but would not recommend to visit - in addition prices there are a little but above average in Hikkaduwa.

2  Thank Baruh_vonW
Reviewed 5 February 2014

I've been discovering Hikkaduwa looking for the task solution of: where it is possible to combine clean dishes, good service, tasty food and reasonable prices in one place?
To my happiness, I have found such place - resto "Tigri". I've tried half of the offered items, and my wife tried the second half.
I cannot say that everything was tasty (I don't like some of spices and vegetables), but shellfish, crabs, calamars, and mixed rise - rise with chicken, calamars, crab's meat, shellfish, vegetables, special souse and chili - are incredible.
I've visited very expensive restaurants in Kyiv, tried sea food - it's not a patch on at all.
It seems that to cook as such! it is obligatory to be Ceylonese, adore sea and the work itself.
And! - the dishes are VERY big. If you prefer to eat not more than usual - please, clarify the amount of food or just don't order all. For instance, usual soup+rise for me - I didn't finish it at once, but was trying to do my best for that.
Evident advantages: Cleanness. Everything is fresh - staff is cooking every day, at the presence of visitors, it is possible to watch the process, visit cuisine (I brought the fish and crabs, which I caught, and asked to cook them. And the people agreed without any problems. Moreover, they invited me to the cuisine to help them a bit and take some pictures). Menu variety - not only domestic cuisine, but European breakfasts and lunches as well: pasta, burgers, chicken, soup, fresh, beer, milk cocktails. The prices - tiger shrimps with lots of vegetables and fried potato (not fri, but fried! Potato) + salad + souse = 1100 rupees = 8.5 USD dollars (just to compare in the resto "Refresh" not far from there, the same dish costs 3000 rupees). Lots of spices are used, different herbals, souses. The food is NOT QUITE SPICY - chief is very polite to the foreigners - the staff is always asking about the level of "hot" spicy food. The view is great - tables are in 15 meters from the water border, your dinner is almost in the ocean, and it is quite difficult to describe.
At the second floor there are 4 rooms available - hot and cold water is available 24 hours per day, balconies and incredible view, comfortable toilet. There are many paintings in the interior - very creative design. The place is vey cozy and you prefer to come back one more time. Tigri team speaks very good English. Menu in Russian is available as well - without any mistakes, clear and understandable. You may also come with the food, which you bought at the market - vegetables, fruits, fish, sea food, and you may ask to cook it. To cook 5 huge crabs and lots of fish we paid 1500 rupees = 11.6 USD dollars. The chief arranges excursion tours on the area. The people are very easy-going and kind. Great music. Free WiFi.
Disadvantages - small number of tables - only 6 are available. Credit cards are not acceptable (that is usual for Sri Lanka). And they don't have the web-site.

4  Thank homa_dondurma
Reviewed 3 February 2014

in out last day we had lunch at Tigri1
very good food and finally we realized why it took so long to bring the food: they actually prepare it on demand..even tehy pill teh carrots then :))) more fresh then this i belive is imposible :)
nice view and the aussie girls is very cute :)

Reviewed 24 January 2014

This restaurant with big soul, filled filled with love and friendship!
We came here to eat twice a day for 10 days! Restaurant is specializing on very tasty seafood. The restaurant staff will fulfill to perform all your wishes. if you don’t like to eat potatoes, they cook for you rise or other vegetables, will organize wonderful tours, taxi to the airport and etc. The restaurant is located on the coast of the ocean, is decorated in a fishing hut with paintings in Sri Lankan style. Prices, as well as food, the best in Hikkaduwa.
Be sure to order the shark here in special Trigri sauce, you wan’t not regret it! And crabs, and lobsters! And all from their menu!

3  Thank Gala_Bu