Tangerine Beach Hotel
US$64
US$246
US$143
1,323 results
All reviewssri lankaelephant orphanagesister hotel next doorswim up barcurrieswestern foodtuk tukday tripyala national parkdress codeall inclusive optioncrazy golfplenty of choicegreat holidaytwo weeksmeal timespool side
Reviewed 27 August 2011

We stayed at the Tangerine for 2 weeks. Our original room was a bit tired, but our rep moved us into a refurbished one after four days. We do suspect, however, that this was the room we should have been in from the start. The new room was beautiful and the view was amazing.

During our stay we discovered that tipping 200 rupees after meals or at the bar at the end of the night, made a big difference to our experience. We suddenly had tables reserved for us and cakes saved for us etc. and the bar men became really friendly. We also became good friends with a waiter in the coffee shop, who was great.

We found that the food was really good with loads to choose from. We only made breakfast once, but there was lots to choose from and omeletes made to order. We tended to have pastries for breakfast which were available from 10am. At lunchtime and dinnertime the puddings were particuarly amazing and the Sri Lankan night was great.

While staying at the Tangerine we booked trips with a lad on the beech called Nalin (as in darlin') De Silva. He can usually be found by the fence by the beach between the Tangerine Hotel and The Royal Palms Hotel which is next door, or at the Sea Sands restaurant which is out of the gate onto the beach and to the right as you look at the sea. Nalin walked along the beach with us on our first night and showed us lots of wild life and soon became our friend. We booked a day trip on his tuc tuc and quickly realised that this was a very cheap way of seeing the sights. He took us to Kalutara and showed us a Bhuddist temple, gem stone mines and a herbal garden and many more sights along the way. We then booked a 2 day trip with him to Yala national park and Galle. This was amazing. We gave him £100 up front to allow him to secure tickets and the hotel and then paid the rest on the day. It cost over £100 less than booking with the hotel so we were really impressed. We saw loads of amazing sights, the highlights being the jeep safari at the national park, the boat trip to look at crocodiles, seeing the stick fishermen and swimming in waterfalls. Nalin had organised and paid for all of the entry tickets, the accomadation which included breakfast and evening meal and a really comfortbale minibus for just the 2 of us. We also went on a morning trip in his tuc tuc later in the holiday to some local waterfalls and a rubber plantation, which was really lovely too and different to any trips the hotel was offering. We were really looked after and had an amazing time. I would definitely recommend finding Nalin as soon as you arrive as he really made our holiday extra special. We had been on a 2 day trip at the start of the holiday, which we booked with our holiday rep at the hotel, which allowed us to compare this with Nalin's trip. Both were good, but Nalin's was much cheaper and we saw lots of extra sights.

I would also recommend buying dresses etc. from the lady on the beach. She altered a dress to the length I wanted and made me some linen trousers using a pair of mine as a guide. The sewing is brilliant and they look really good. She also gave us lots of fruit as gifts.

Overall our honeymoon was amazing and we really felt like we had been totally spoilt for the whole 2 weeks.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a refurbished room
2  Thank Helen R
Reviewed 27 August 2011

For last two weeks I was at the Tangerine Beach hotel,it was in a nice location,beautiful hotel and staff was kind,we enjoyed the food there.from there I went to the Red Lobster Restaurant.
i had the lobster and it was excellent. its a family owned place and they were very friendly. It was reasonable & great home cooked food has been served. As I have tried Srilankan squid curry this time.
If you try local food, this is very good place to visit & money value & friendly service by the owner of this restaurant & small accomodation ownedeverything on the menu was reasonably priced and i would recommend this place!!!:-)
I have choosen this restaurent from Lonley planet for myself dinner out..
As he asked me if I can go for very spicy or not when I told him my choice of the food.
I went for midium spicy only & he knows I can not go for too much spicy food!!

It was a great value of dinner & fresh seafood curry Srilankan home dishes!
They have some other western food as well.
I like this kind of comfy small own restaurant!! After that I went a 4day tour with Yohan of Red Lobster restaurant, yohansrilanka@yahoo.com his tour was realy interesting,and he gave me a good guide.explain about everthing,I highly recommended Yohan for tours!and food as well

On the next day I was at the hotel,the rooms were well kept.clean and nice! It’s nice hotel!i will recommended this hotel to everyone.

Reviewed 26 August 2011

Our family stayed here for a weekend. As it seems to be the local custom, we were welcomed with a refreshing drink.
The lobby was very spacious and welcoming. As this was one of the larger hotels we experienced with had a properly managed desk/reception.
The rooms were comfortable, clean and provided a good view of the well maintained garden.
As we expected the ocean at this time of the year on the west coast was not suitable for swimming. The pool was beautifully maintained. Clean towels were provided.
We enjoyed the variety for breakfast - suitable for Westerners who weren't interested in the local food! But as an expate I enjoyed the Sri Lankan food options, string hoppers & kiri hodi, fish curry, egg hoppers and plain hoppers with lunu miris!
Lunch and dinner also included delicious desserts!
As we were there as part of a large group over a weekend, the staff accommodated our various requests including the use of a conference room for an afternoon etc.

Room Tip: We selected superior rooms, making use of a double and a triple.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 August 2011

Really nice hotel with a great choice of food - mostly Asian as you would expect but pasta and veggie available too. A good effort with the evening entertainment including snake charmer but not much else to do - fine if you just want to relax though. Massage in the spa was okay but, to the immediate left of the hotel on the beach, there is a great guy (Ruan I think his name was) who charges next to nothing for a far superior massage. Not great surroundings (sign says something like Happy Holiday Bar and Massage!) but he was incredible and very knowledgeable about anatomy and physiology. We had been warned to avoid people touting on the beach but he was well worth visiting.

Reviewed 13 August 2011

Like to thank Arju,Gehan,and the rest of the staff for the memorable time we had (has Always)the fine selections of Eastern and Western foods,presented for all three sittings, very clean rooms with great views and very reasonable rates for this wonderful service,My wife and I refer to this place as our HOME AWAY FROM HOME

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple