Hotel Mermaid & Club
US$67
US$98
US$95
1,622 results
All reviewspushpakumara yahoosuresh toursred mohicansports centrebeach boyselephant orphanageday tripsri lankacheeky chappiemoonlight jewellerspalm treesdeluxe roomsports teammoonlight gemstuk tuksports facilitiesgreat holiday
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Have just come back from a 6 day break (my second visit to the Mermaid this year) with my husband this time.
I felt very welcomed & was offered few additional treats as a return guest.
Once again I found it to be a completely relaxing break. The place is kept clean & I was pleased to see some needed maintenance taking place
The staff are friendly and attentive & kept the dinning & bar area cleared of dirty plates as soon as you finished each course/drink.
The grounds were constantly being preened, which keeps them looking lovely.
We took advantage of the reasonable prices at the spa & had 3 massages each along with using the jacuzzi & steam room.
Yet again I found the food to be excellent with a good selection of Western & Asian cuisine.
Wine is not included in the all inclusive deal but you can buy a bottle for around £13 & have your room number written on it so you can keep it for your stay if you wish.
Although wifi is free in the business room & reception I would have been happy to pay for it in our room. (Maybe the hotel could look into adding this service?)
I have seen the few negative comments the food ones I just don't get but the flys the hotel could work harder on reducing the numbers by using the electric zappers.
My only negative is the business area needs a damp proofing course as it has a very unpleasant damp smell.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We stayed at the Mermaid for 2weeks July 12--26th 2014 and have nothing but good things to say about it All the staff are so friendly and helpful and such beautiful people they make you feel so welcome and nothing is too much to ask of them. The rooms a good size and spotless they are tended every day and clean towels also daily There's no problem keeping air conditioning on 24/7 Meals are very good always something to suit everyone's tastes. Did some tours with one of the beach boys named Amith who was excellent not a bit pushy and arranged the tours to suit what we wanted to do and see. Had some massages with the hotel and felt really pampered. We also had some massages with Sidney who is located just outside the hotel grounds (beach side) he is also excellent. Everyone staying at hotel seemed to mix well together young and old as the hotel isn't very large everyone gets to know each other. It was like one big happy family. Would definitely recommend this hotel.

5  Thank Phil0044
Reviewed 29 July 2014

This is my FIRST review for ANY hotel online!

My husband and I stayed at Mermaid Hotel and we ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT!

We stayed for one week. It supposed to be monsoon season but we lucked out - it never rained.

Our stay was a surprised birthday present/trip for me from my husband.

Unknown to us we were upgraded to the deluxe rooms and it was GORGEOUS!

For me the best part of our room was the oversized bathtub in the large bathroom -overlooking the beach, swaying palm trees, and ocean. It was a ritual for me to treat myself to a bubble bath every day soaking in this picturesque view.

Our room was clean, orderly, and spacious.

The housekeeping staff was great! Every day our room was cleaned and our bed made up with flowers and "towel decorations." Any request we made were fulfilled. My husband requested that our housekeeper do "special" decorations our room for my birthday. Our room was so beautiful with flowers, candles, and birthday wishes I cried when I entered our room after breakfast.

WE LOVED LOVED LOVED the food!

We like a bit of spice in our food but NOT everything was spicy so people with milder taste buds will have no problem.

Every day we had a variety of choices - enough for vegetarians also. Plenty of salads were available. A pasta dish every day. Choices of different meats everyday- we LOVE pork and loved the BBQ spare ribs night, roasted pork night, etc.

Also ever day seafood was available - fish, calmari, shrimps, etc. We also LOVED the curries - delicious. Plus if we ever ask for something they did their best to make us happy. For example, I did not see any ice cream for dessert so I asked if it was possible to get some and swiftly I was given a bowl! There was plenty of dessert choices, but I simply had a yen for ice cream.

We also ordered from the à la carte menu three times - once we had the steak with pepper sauce - DELICIOUS - and twice the seafood platter - which my husband loved.

I enjoyed the breakfast also: we loved the bacon, and the made to order eggs, and I LOVED the freshly made hot donuts and croissants. Especially when I was alone - I am an early riser usually - at my table enjoying the strong coffee with these pastries overlooking the beach in peace.

The restaurant staff was wonderful, in fact, throughout the ENTIRE hotel.

EVERYONE is soooo nice and friendly. They strike conversations with you which I like. They anticipated your wants and desires - even bringing me MY USUAL before I ordered! Loved it! Personalized service. Plus the chef made me a surprised birthday cake! Lovely touch.

For my birthday both lunch and dinner were pre-arranged by my husband and chef/dining staff. A reserved table scattered with flowers awaited us and we were given excellent service.

The sports staff was also great! I was the lazy one. But my husband did play volleyball and enjoyed himself. We enjoyed playing ping pong, just us two. We enjoyed the billards room next to the restarant and we played almost daily.

If I was not such a lazy one I could have played lots of stuff, e.g., boules, and used the nicely equipped gym but I never did mustered up the energy.

But for those who are active there is plenty of things to do at the sports area. The sport staff encourages everyone to use the facilities and to join the activities. It was my lost that I declined.

We also used the spa which was very nice. The spa staff was lovely. I had a pedicure. We had a couple massage. We enjoyed it very much.

We actually became friends with a man who was on his THIRD visit to the hotel. He was from UK and has an annual visit which he said he enjoys very much!

Every night there was live entertainment. I particularly enjoyed the live musicians that played during dinner - on my birthday he sang "Happy Birthday" to me: they had a guitar player one night, a piano player another night, cultural dancers etc.

I never wanted to leave the hotel. I found there was plenty to do for those who are actively inclined - they even once had a live cooking demonstration by the pool by one of their chefs.

But those like me who just want to lounge around by the pool/beach sunning, reading, playing card etc it was simply perfect.

We even bought fresh coconuts on the beach to make our own piña colada.

We read many review before our arrival and we can say that our experience was wonderful. The beach boys never bothered us, although we did not go any proposed tours - we were content just enjoying the hotel.

We ate well and plenty. I gained some weight during our stay.

We drank enough. I am partial to French wines especially Bordeaux so we had brought our own wines and champagne which we drank during our meals. The hotel does sell wines by glass and by bottle (not part of the inclusive package) but knowing my particular taste I simply had my own wine.

Any "fancy" cocktails like margaritas are also not included in the inclusive package but with my fresh coconuts I made my own piña coladas. I was not bothered.

In fact, during our stay one day it was Poya Day but knowing this we had brought some of our own alcohol and had no problem with it. Every one is allowed to drink it is just that the hotel does not serve it. In fact, we added Kahlúa - which we brought with us - to our morning coffee every day.

The bar staff was great. They made our drinks as we requested with a smile and a friendly word and they were always willing to chat.

Those wanting to meet other people staying at the hotel it is very easy, especially at the bar.

During our stay it was "low or shoulder" season - it was a bit over half capacity. We never had any problems with getting a lounge chair or table. The pool staff was also ready to help you set up your umbrella chairs, table, towels, etc.

The front desk staff was kind and helpful. We were greeted with a welcome drink.

I rarely used the internet but my husband said it was fine - he simply checked his emails.

We loved our visit so much that we plan to return.

1  Thank chulitajv
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I'm not sure how much I can add to the other reviews on here about this hotel apart to say for a 3* hotel its surpases all expectation and gives a wonderful experience. The food is excellent, the head chef is very friendly and will cook whatever you ask for. The staff at the hotel are lovely, nothing is too much for them and they only add to what is a great place to stay. As others have said the only moan would be the lack of wine in the all inclusive package. We stayed in a deluxe room which definatley worth the extra money. The rooms are kept to a very high standard and the flowers on the bed are a great extra touch. Spa and massage are fantastic value for money. Everywhere is very clean, the beach is ok, clean etc but the sea is a bit rough and swimming not advised. The sports facilities are are very good and the staff will come and round up as many people as possible to participate.
We did the usual tourist trips with Suresh who was very helpful (he even sent one of his drivers out to get me a packet of cigarettes on our last day!). We pre- arranged for him to pick us up from the airport and take us on a couple of tours, very knowledgable and friendly man, his email is suresh.pushpakumara@yahoo.com but he's easily to spot with his red mohican hair style. We had a few new clothes made by Mahendra Kulathunga which were very reasonable and very good, his shop is on the right out of the gate next to the Moonlight Jewellers who were also very good. A ride in a tuktuk is a must have experience!
Overall we had a briliant and relaxing holiday, met some good people and we would definatley go back there.

Room Tip: Deluxe are worth paying the extra for, great sea views and not overlooked by any other rooms
2  Thank Jo D
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Stayed at this lovely little hotel February of this year hence my embarrassment of the lateness. Fist off the travel agency got our dates mixed up and they had booked us in a month later for March. Although the hotel was fully booked they still manged to find us a room. The hotel is a wee bit dated and I think they have plans this year of upgrading. Saying that the staff keep in spotlessly clean. All the staff particularly the waiting staff are all a pleasure and believe me they enjoy it and don't do it just for the tips. I have never returned to a resort before but this one we hope to return later in the year.

Don't be put off by the beach boys they are all okay.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple