“Fantastic hotel with magnificent views of Kandy”

Majestic Tourist Hotel
Ranked #29 of 56 Hotels in Kandy
Reviewed 23 April 2014

I stayed here with 2 friends for 3 nights. The room was basic but clean and with everything you need. What really makes this hotel though is the owners. Joseph and Kumari are 2 of the most welcoming and helpful people I have met when travelling. Kumari drew up an itinerary for us for a day out. She took us to Pinnawala Elephant Orphanage and gave us a guided tour getting us great seats at the spot where you can see the elephants playing in the river and then queuing up to go back to the orphanage. On the way back to Kandy she took us to a spice garden where we had a free tour and demonstration which included complimentary Ayurvedic massages - these were very much appreciated as it was the day after we climbed Adam's Peak. We also went to a tea factory where we enjoyed a nice sit down and complimentary cups of tea.

On returning to the hotel, we put our order in for dinner - rice and curry - and were then delighted when we were offered a curry making lesson. Joseph is a brilliant cook and his rice and curry dishes are fantastic. He taught us how to make 5 different vegetable curries and a chicken curry, all of which tasted amazing.

The view from the top floor restaurant is also great.

If you want a truly memorable trip to Kandy but want to stay somewhere cheap and cheerful then this hotel is a must.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Haribop
There are newer reviews for Majestic Tourist Hotel

Reviewed 23 March 2014

I was traveling with my friends and our driver messed up our plans by taking us to the hotel even though we were supposed to go to the hotel another day. We arrived around 1AM and everyone was sleeping already. While we were sitting in the car feeling confused, the driver started waking the hotel staff up. We felt really bad since we didn't even have a hotel reservation for that night. However, the staff was very nice and kind enough to give us a room.

The room was very big. No A/C but it was not a problem at all. Wifi was also available in the room.
We had a nice breakfast on the top floor of the hotel and the view was fantastic.

The owners of the hotel were some of the most kindhearted people I have ever met in my life.
We had some difficult times when we found out we were charged way too much by our driver that we needed to go to the police station to negotiate for a reasonable price.
The lady and her son who own the hotel helped us with everything. I really don't know how to explain how thankful I feel to them.

Once you become their guest, they really do take great care of you.
I would totally go back to Majestic Tourist Hotel and would recommend everyone to come here when they visit Sri Lanka.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank PloySS
Reviewed 21 March 2014

We very much enjoyed taking breakfast on the terrasse with a beautiful view. Nice breakfast (even though the jam could be improved). Nice dinner cooked by the owners. They were also very friendly and gave a lot of good advice and gave us occasionally a lift to town. Good Wifi, also in rooms on last floor. Once we got an additional bedsheet and a softer matrass, we were happy with the room and balcony (basic but very clean).

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 March 2014

We had a wonderful stay in this hotel. The family running the place is very kind, they will do everything to help you with your stay in Kandy (provide taxi driver, advices....). The rooms are very big, new and clean. The food is incredible ! Even if it located a bit far from the center (max 10 minutes in tuktuk from the clock tower) the view on the hills is so nice that is worth it !
We highly recommend that place

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 February 2014

It is not a 5 star hotel so don't expect it to be one and remember that you are not paying like a 5 star hotel. I ranked it very highly due to the service and friendliness received from the owner and staff, the atmosphere around the place, the view from the roof terrace, the fresh and delicious meal prepared by the owner at a very reasonable price, the location, which in a quiet and peaceful area on the hill away from the city of Kandy and the friendly advise and guidance given regarding your travelling arrangements or anything else. Not to mention that the price also includes breakfast which consisted of 2 fruits (I had banana and pawpaw), toast and jam, an omelette and coffee or tea. Also for the record, this place hires their staff from small villages way out of Kandy and generally from minor communities of Sri Lanka who would generally struggle to get a job anywhere. They want to give those young adults an opportunity and they also act like a parent to them as they are so far away from their home. The owners are very humble and would certainly be embarrassed if they knew that I shared this about them but it highlights a bit of their character. They shared this journey because of my inquisitive nature.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Islander3
Reviewed 26 February 2014 via mobile

There is nothing not to love about this place!

The hotel is located close to the city centre, bus stops , train station.

Price is really affordable and the are are super spacious. My room had a balcony as well.

The staff are awesome - really friendly and very helpful.

The owner was also fantastic. He planned my itenary and advised me how to get around

Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Sandeep-za
Reviewed 22 February 2014

The title says it all. It was a good location, around 25 minute walk to Temple of the Tooth and other attractions.
Rooms are basic, but the price reflects this well I believe.
Western basic breakfast available.
Restaurant is good value with great home cooked meals.
I broke my toe on one of my days sightseeing and the staff were really helpful with my problem, which made my experience of Sri Lankan's better.
The rooftop restaurant is great in the morning.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo