Tourmaline Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$96
US$71
US$59
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
All reviewscandle lightingshuttle buson arrivalsri lankaother hotelsswimming poolgreat viewpleasant stayset menulovely hotelhotel is situatedour honeymoonkandy townstayed for one nightnice poolbreakfast and dinnerhill
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 30 September 2011

The hotel is good and the rooms were very clean and spacious. Service was good. Staff was hospitable. Location is good. But the place is over priced. Food served was good. There is a very nice swimming pool and the view from the room is good. Overall pleasant stay but over priced.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank hamsav
Reviewed 19 September 2011

I stayed in Holiday in during my visit to Sri Lanka. I think the hospitality of the staff and the quality of food deserves a special mention. Specially the Indian Restaurant was nice. The Prices were quite reasonable too and would definitely recommend this to any one who would want a nice comfortable stay

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 August 2011

The hotel is on the hill and the road to there is hole after hole.
Friendly staff but prices are out of proportion. To borrow lap top and internet access for 1h hotel price was 10.00USD. Internet cafe in the city cost 1.00 per hour.
rooms are large and clean with fantastic view. One of the best hotel in Sri Lanka

• Stayed: August 2011
2  Thank Mig26
Reviewed 13 August 2011

As the cricket was on in Kandy the day we arrived, this was the only hotel available on trip advisor for our dates, and overall we were pleasantly surprised.
The service here is great... but you may want to hire a rickshaw or taxi if you go down town. The hotel is on top of a big hill, so its a steep climb to get home. On the other hand the views are great.
As I didn´t specify when booking, we were lumbered with a twin room on the third floor walk up. The rooms in the back half of this floor are unfinished, so it all felt a little weird. The beds were very low to the floor, very hard and narrow with thin mattresses. The following morning I made it clear that we would move out unless they could come up with a double. They subsequently moved us to a room with a king bed on lobby level, which was as comfortable and luxurious as you would expect for a hotel in this price bracket.
Internet was free in the lobby, but I had to pay $10 for a 10 hour card in order to get wifi in my room. This was inconvenient as we both have laptops, so we had to take it in turns to be online.
With internet such a basic necessity these days, I don´t understand why they should charge extra, particularly as tapping into their wifi doesn´t cost the hotel any extra. There is no extra charge for hot water, towels, fridge, aircon, cable TV... you get my drift.

Also there were no face cloths provided, and only one hand towel. We were told there was cable TV, but the TV quality was poor, no English speaking channels and I couldn´t see a cable box, so I´m not really sure.
Overall I feel that the staff did their best to accommodate us and make our stay as pleasant as possible. Eg. when I had a problem getting my cell phone connected they helped me call the phone company and identify the problem, despite the fact that they had a big army conference going on and were really busy, with security everywhere.
The whole building is newly remodeled and feels nice and comfortable and clean, so if you can afford it I guess its OK.

The highlight of our trip was feeding a banana to a monkey who came to visit us on our verandah... see attached photo

Room Tip: Make sure you get a king bed on the first or second floor, if you don´t want to walk up two flights of stairs
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kanan A
Reviewed 31 July 2011

We visited the Tourmaline in Kandy for the second time this year and we were happy to find that standard was the same - so it wasn't just a first time experience. From the door girl to the front desk girls and boys and overall staff - always very friendly, helpful and with a smile on their faces. After a long and tiring journey, you are greeted with a smile, a cool towel and a cup of tea of you own choice. A very nice gesture.
Rooms are superb, lots of space, large comfortable bed and everything clean. Instead of a la carte at the Tourmaline we went up to the Topaz for buffet - it was delicious. Here also perfectly organized friendly staff - making your meal a pleasure. From the dinning room you have the best view over Kandy, try spotting the Temple when you are there.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family