“Good atmosphere but the food...”
Review of History Restaurant

History Restaurant
Ranked #87 of 145 Restaurants in Kandy
Cuisines: Asian, Sri Lankan, Chinese
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Hangzhou, China
“Good atmosphere but the food...”
Reviewed 21 June 2014

I chose this place cause the Lonely planet recommend, but it is a big disappointment! First entered the restaurant, yes, I thought wow it's really a beautiful place but no more. The service is ok, maybe because only three tables they were catering. When I asked which dishes were recommended, the waiter seemed not really interest in answering my question at all and randomly pointed to most expensive one on the menu. The food were not bad. But I could't see the reason why it being recommended on that book, not worth a try at all.

我会选择这个餐厅是因为lp的推荐。去到的时候的确觉得,哇,地方很漂亮,但就这样啦。可能因为当时只有三张桌子的原因,服务并没有别人讲的那么差。当我问其中一个服务人员,有什么推荐的时候,他就给我指了个蛮贵的牛肉,好啦,我就点了,味道是还好,但是不惊艳,而且好老。最后这一顿吃得好贵,但是感觉一点都不值得,不知道什么原因lp会推荐这个地方,不值得尝试。

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank Lil W

Zurich, Switzerland
“Avoid by all means!!!”
Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

We had a terrible experience at this place. We got the recommendation from our travel book but it was just awful! Place was full of tourists; not a good sign. Service was very slow. One waiter took the menu away without saying anything and brought it back 5 minutes later. We waited 1.5 hours for the food. The quality was really bad. Boring fried noodles with hardly any taste. Meat quality was so low, I would hesitate to use for my dog; only chicken was good. Pork was only the fat, no meat, beef was not chewable etc. European music, partly elevator style and I could go on. The waiter asked how it was and I told him the truth, knowing it was not his fault. He came after us when we left and apologised almost in tears. In summary, I can only recommend to avoid this place by all means!

1 Thank Christian K
Bratislava, Slovakia
“Good soups, but terrible service”
Reviewed 12 February 2014

Went here with girlfriend for a cup of tea. Ordered also some food, but it lasted about forty minutes to get it. Although, the chicken-corn soup was delicious, so was the tea, but wouldn't visit anymore.

• Visited March 2013
Leuven, Belgium
“Nice dec”
Reviewed 4 February 2014

Downstairs there is a tea room. The restaurant is at the first floor. The decor is interesting due to the photos and old newspaper articles.
Food is good, I had a curry dish for a very low price which tasted good. The chicken was hard to find so it was almost like a vegetarian dish :-). Good value for price.

• Visited January 2014
East Sussex
“Hopeless service”
Reviewed 1 February 2014

This place is quite interesting due to the photos and old newspaper articles but the service is really hopeless as others have said. The tables are inadequately laid to say the least. Lack of cutlery, side plates or napkins of any sort. We had to ask to order and again for drinks. We waited over an hour.........nobody else in the place (about half full ) was eating either, so I asked when it was coming. Then my companion's main course arrived before my starter.When I got my starter (1hr 15 mins ) the (only ) waiter told me my main choice wasn't available. Couldn't face another 1 and quarter hours so gave up. Food also indifferent and cold. Shame as it was our only night in Kandy.

• Visited January 2014