“Con man”

Ranked #47 of 54 Hotels in Kandy
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Con man”
Reviewed 6 December 2011

The location was nice, the view very pleasant, but I'm afraid that's all the positive comments I can muster up about this place. The owner was a conman, looking to exploit us for money at every opportunity... He charged us an obscene amount for short phone conversations to book hostels at our next venue, over charged us for the rooms by 2-fold, and tried to force tours on us at every opportunity. He was unpleasant, and at times rude. The same can be said for his wife. I advise you to stay clear.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank tregarontraveller

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 30 September 2011

We stayed here during Perahera cause we couldn`t find a room elsewhere and then we found out why: we had to pay fantasy prices for the tickets, much to much for a small uncomfortable room and the owner tried to sell us tours or food the whole time, he was always around when we had breakfast or a drink in the common area. Impossible to "hang" around to relax.
To mention two good things: the shower was working and the view is really great (if one could enjoy!)

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Doris W

Travellers are raving about these Kandy hotels

Kigali, Rwanda
Reviewed 30 September 2011

Stayed here 3 nights. Owner was really pushing to sell us tours, food etc. We used his tuktuk once and charged 300 rps for a trip to the Indian visa office which was really close (we did not know as it has moved since the last lonely planet came out). Said there was hot water, but did not work in the morning only in the afternoon. All together highly overpriced @ 2000 rps incl service charge. Mcloud inn ( take steps next to highest view to next street) was really Nice and Same price.

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank janbien
Milan, Italy
Reviewed 5 September 2011

What I describe is a normal room in a guesthouse with a small balcony overlooking the lake. It's not a five star hotel, but the room is clean and comfortable. The en suite bathroom is basic, the only downside was the shower curtains and bath that had already ended their days.
Breakfast is good and plentiful, has served on the top floor, where the view is beautiful.
There is also an internet service, only until 21:00, for 80 rupees every 20 minutes.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank claudia t
paris
Reviewed 21 August 2011

unfortunately, the owner is self sufficient, only talking about himself and his trip to switzerland, and criticizing the other guest house. food is not good

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2011

Quoted Rs2500 for a room with a VIEW in a telephone call, and 'booked'. When we arrived staff were, putting it politely, indifferent. One was hanging listlessly round reception which smelled of cigarette smoke. Another was watching TV (the owner, we believe) and barely moved as we came in. We asked to see the room but were asked to register first and also pay (very unusual in Sri Lanka). The room was pokey, damp smelling and the 'view' was of the side of another building and the roof of yet another. Hardly what we had requested. We asked to see another room, which was far better - but then told the price was Rs3000 for this one. I abhor this type of mechanism to get you on the hook, then demand more than you agreed. We deferred to the cheaper option. Not a great start but we were tired after a long day's journey.

Unpacked basics, and then asked to be pointed to the bar and restaurant (which we had enquired about when booking an hour or so before). The bar had a great view over the lake/town and I was ready to order that first cold beer. We asked to see a menu, to be told in a no-compromise sort of way, 'No food tonight'. When I said we'd asked about the bar and restaurant the chap handily stated that, yes, there was a restaurant - it just was not open tonight. That was the open deceit I referred to in the one-line description. I have no other way to describe it. We were by now 20 minutes walk from the nearest other restaurant. So we left, to grumbles and begrudging refund of our cash. We were the only people to check-in that day - and I'm not surprised. I would heartily recommend you spend your money elsewhere in the vicinity and hope that the owner is forced to sell up. Other choices nearby abound - like Freedom Lodge (or several other places up and down Sangakara Road).

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Marcus_Holden
Cambridge, MA
Reviewed 10 February 2011

How come some people say nice things about this place, others nasty?

If you do not need any special help, go to bed early, and only want transactions that make the owner money, you will love the fantastic views from the rooms and the spic and span cleanliness (although only one bedsheet is provided).

If, like me, however, you like a modicum of service, go elsewhere. I arrived with a severe stomach complaint last night and had to go to the hospital and have tests that ran late. I had some quick dinner and returned to the guest house to be told I could not use the internet as it was too late. This morning the owner lectured me that guests were not allowed to return to the building after 10 30 and everything in the building was shut down at that point.

I asked about laundry and was told the guest house did not do it and I would have to find a laundry shop in an obscure location two or three miles away - the last thing anyone on vacation wants to do.

The unpleasant, sour attitude of this person was the final straw and I walked out to find another place to stay. It soon became clear that the Highest Point owner has a poor reputation in the neighborhood and is regarded as a bad-mannered moneygrabber.

I left, and the new guesthouse immediately took my laundry and exhibited the normal Sri Lankan warmth and friendliness. But, if what you want is a fantastic view and super-cleanliness and early nights, the Highest View might just be for you!

• Stayed February 2011