“The best place in the whole trip because it was like HOME.Very clean,caring,friendly,centrally located and overall great”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Sevana City Hotel

Sevana City Hotel
Ranked #4 of 53 Hotels in Kandy
Offenburg, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

Very clean, caring, friendly, centrally located and overall great place to stay.

We had a wonderful, relaxing, quiet and safe time there.

All the staff (and family) was helpful and friendly. The breakfast was cooked so well, tasty jam! The meals were always great and this ‘’guest home’’ will always have a place in my heart.

All I can say is that I made a good choice by staying there. The value for the price is absolutely good being that you have convenience, well-prepared food, honest help/advice and security.

This guesthouse offered very good breakfast. It was the most delicious and fresh breakfast we had during the whole journey, even much better than the star hotels where we stayed in other places. Although the big hotels provided with more choices of food (breakfast buffet), the quality of food was not as good as the breakfast at SEVANA Guesthouse.

We really appreciated the effort and time from the guesthouse owner and staff! The toast, the fruit, the eggs, …. were just as fresh as homemade food which a mother would prepare for her kids. This guesthouse made our stay in Kandy and Sri Lanka so wonderful.

The locality has numerous shops and merchants all within walking distance. The railway station, bus stop, huge markets, the lake, post office, pharmacy…are all in the neighborhood. We walked around during the day and came across many nice temples, markets for local people, souvenirs shops, department stores, cafes, various bakeries, even the wholesale markets. You can buy just about anything you need. The neighborhood is full of merchants and shops. All in all, the guesthouse is ideally located and you will be and feel safe, especially because of the family and staff are always there.

• Liked — everything. Location. Cleanliness. Fast wi-fi. Modern and clean white bed sheets and towels. Friendly staff /family. Warm-hearted family and very kind service. Very very very very tasty breakfast. Very quiet to sleep at night despite ideal central location. Fair and honest Tuk Tuk driver recommended by the guesthouse.
• Disliked — Nothing.

Room Tip: The rooms with balcony are great as you can see the street from your room which we enjoyed a lot.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Forrestchen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Alkmaar, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

We went to Kandy last year and searched for a good guesthouse in our travelbook. The location of this guesthouse is very good to discover Kandy. The people are very lovely. Our plan was to stay one night, but we stayed 4 nights, because of the good service and clean and nice rooms. Ravi was our Tuktuk driver and we went to nuwara eliya. It took 4 hours and he was so happy to show us the area. Great man! His wife is working in the guesthouse and is also very sweet, and makes the best dinners and breakfasts. She was pregnant during our stay, but she worked very hard to please all the guests. Conclusion: If you're going to visit Kandy, go to this geusthouse!! The prices are very cheap for what you get!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the highest floor, the view is very nice!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Kandy, Sri Lanka
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

Sevana Guest house was practically our childhood 2nd home. And when they first opened up for business, our family was given a complimentary room. I have spent some nights from time to time and I am a frequent visitor to this nice place. The rooms are in exceptional quality with either A/C or non A/C and also some equipped with Solar Powered Hot water. High speed wireless internet access is provided to the guests at a very reasonable price and the room rates are also very reasonable. If you're looking for a last minute lodging facility without prior booking, Sevana is the best place in Kandy. Even though its a guest house, you will always be welcomed by the kind owners as well as frequent visitors (friends and family of the owners) where it creates a very hospitable environment. If you wanna try some Oriental food (Chinese, Indian, Sri Lankan) they will prepare them for you. And they will also arrange transportation (trishaw, luxury coaches, train bookings) for you if you request.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank tihlinadg
Almelo, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

I arrived here with a friend in the late evening without a booking. We asked if there was a Non AC room available and they had a room with balcony available. Because it we were already busy that day for 15 hours, we were happy to take the room. A little bit above our budget, but we couldn’t be bothered. Also I had read good reviews about this guest house and I always prefer something good. We walked to the reception for the registration. I noticed that the man whom was helping us, was looking at the rate sheet and was putting it under some other papers. No worries went through my mind. When I was filling in the paper for the registration (name, nationality, passport number, signing, etc) I asked the receptionist the rate. I knew the rate what he had told us, but I was a little bit cautious, because he put the rate sheet under some other papers. Also, I never sign a paper before they first write the rate down. Anyway, when I ask the rate, the receptionist didn’t knew the rate and made him aware that he just had a rate sheet. He started search for the rate sheet, but he couldn’t find it. This was really annoying. Because he knew where it was. He was searching 3 times on the same small pile of papers where he put the rate sheet under. After a minute I told him to stop playing, that the rate sheet was just there under the papers and that he had it a moment ago in his own hands. He found the rate sheet and told us a more expensive price. It was clear that he told us a price for a Non AC room, but the only room that was available was one with AC. I told him that it was his mistake, but also that we were not going to use the AC. After thinking about it, he agreed. To make sure we were not going to use the AC, the receptionist took the remote control. That was fine with us. Although it ended up well, if he just had told us that he was wrong instead of avoiding it, it would be so much easier. After a long day this was the last thing we wanted.

The room was good, beds were comfortable and the shower/toilet were clean. You have a nice view over Kandy from the balcony. The location is good. Close to the city centre and in walking distance from the lake, the train station, bus stand and Tooth Temple. We stayed for 1 night is the room with a balcony and the 2nd night in a Non AC room. The Non AC room was far more better then the room wit AC. Because the room with the balcony is located on the street side. In the early morning the traffic starts. So there is a lot noise coming up. Also the wifi didn’t worked in the balcony room. But if you stepped outside the door, the wifi was working. I believe that if you offer a product has to work at least reasonable. You must be able to use it. So there is only wifi in the common room or in the whole building. Not somewhere in between.

The ambience of the building is good. The staff is friendly and willing to help you. The owner is really friendly. Breakfast is good and funny. Especially the fried eggs. Only thing I disliked was that they put too much salt in the scrambled eggs. Although I believe that this is more a Sri Lankan habit. In every guest house where we stayed, the scrambled eggs or omelettes always contained salt. And every time it was way too much. Eventually I asked them not to put any salt in my scrambled eggs or omelettes.

To succinct we had a pleasant stay here and I would definitely recommend this guest house to everyone!

Be well prepared!

Taxi drivers

On the moment I arrived at the airport, taxi drivers came to me and asked me where I was going to. I told them I was going to travel by bus to Anuradhapura. Every driver told me that there were no buses going to Anuradhapura on that day and that the only option was to get a taxi. Please don’t believe them.

Tuktuk drivers

I will tell this at every review where I stayed in SL. Because I had some experiences with the tuktuk drivers. Not necessary bad, but tuktuk drivers are very astute and cunning. At every village or city there was something. So see this as tips to outsmart them.

A lot of tuktuk drivers are doing this to get their commission and to make extra money. Of course they are allowed to make extra money. We are tourist and we are a source of income for them. But sometimes it's so tiresome on the way how they are doing it. I am not saying that all the tuktuk drivers are the same and I also had a lot of good experiences. A lot are really willing to help you. Maybe it is bad karma that I had these experiences. And maybe it is good karma that I had these experiences, so I could share them with others. I don’t know.

On the first day I arrived in Anuradhapura. I walked to a tuktuk driver and ask him if he could bring me to the guest house. I showed him the address and he asked me for the phone number because he didn’t know where it was. Although this can be true, but after calling the driver told me that the guest house was fully booked. I told the driver that of course they were fully booked, because I had confirmed booking at the guest house. The driver became quiet and I asked him if he could bring me there or not. After asking him 3 times he finally reluctantly agreed. Also he insisted that I was first getting into the tuktuk before we agreed a price. He acted like he didn’t understand when I made it clear first to agree on a price. Never step into a tuktuk before you agree on a price and take care that you have small bills. If you going to pay with 1000 SLR, often the driver will say that he don’t have enough change.

On most internet sites of the guest houses or on different comparing internet sites you can find the explanation how to reach the hostel/guest house from the train station or bus stand. Often they also add the distance, the estimated driving time and the price if you take a tuktuk/taxi driver from point ‘’A’’ to the guest house/hostel. Sometimes these prices need to be updated, but when a tuktuk driver is asking twice to three times as much, you know something isn’t correct. Also always check the distance by on the internet. Sometimes tuktuk drivers say its 6 km away, while it is 3 or 4 km.

If you ask a tuktuk driver to bring you to a good, but cheap place, they always ask you for how many days and what your budget is. They need to get an idea, but be also aware of this! This can be in there own interest. For example, if you say you look something for 1500 SLR, they will bring you to a place that is 1500 or a little bit more expensive, but is actually cheaper. Because you said a price, you already indirectly agreed with 1500 SLR.

I always have 1 or 2 guest houses in my mind. I do my research and I know how far it is to there when I arrive in a place. The distance is important for the price! Tuktuk drivers always asked me if I had a booking or not. If you say ‘’NO’’ they even won’t bring you there. First they bring you somewhere else. I had this 2 times. They didn’t showed me 1 place, but 3, before they finally brought to the requested guest house. They always told me that they knew something better, cheaper and that the guest house where you I was going to stay was too expensive.
Or when I asked them to bring me to a guest house, they asked me if I had a booking. If I said no, they suddenly grabbed their phone and started to call someone. Later I realised that they were calling the guest house and saying that the driver was telling them that he was bringing new guest. Of course they are just doing this for the commission. In both cases, in the end I always said that I had a ‘’confirmed booking’’. Just to be free of all the hassle.

In Kandy I agreed with a tuktuk driver to drive me and a friend around. It was in this sequence: Train station for tickets - Buddha Statue on the hill - Botanical gardens - Bring us back to the guest house. We were next to the train station, so it was obvious first to go the train station. But as we started driving, the driver skipped the train station and brought us directly to the Buddha statue. Of course we said something about this, but he acted like he didn’t understand what we were saying. Suddenly he was behaving very reluctant. Five minutes later he asked us where we were planning to go with the train. We told him Nuwaru Eliya. After visiting the Buddha statue the driver offered us to bring us to Nuwaru Eliya by tuktuk for 40 US Dollars! There is always a catch

Two times I had after seen 3 guest houses, I still wasn’t satisfied. So I requested the driver to bring me to a particular guest house. Both times they acted that they didn’t know the address/guest house. Funny thing was I knew that we were in or next to the street of the requested guest house. Sometimes I used ‘’maps'' to check were we were or I payed attention to the street names. Anyway they refused to bring me there. They just don’t know it. Even when I showed them the address, they just said ‘’no’'. In Matara there is only one Polhena Beach and there is only one Polhena Road. We were on that road and the guest house was also located on the same road. But the driver just told us that he didn’t knew where it was. Even after requesting him for 3 times. He acted like he tried to find it, but it was not convincing enough. Again, this behaviour is very obvious.

Also I had a couple of times that a tuktuk driver was telling me that travelling local bus was much less fun, much more dangerous, actually too expensive and slower than travelling by tuktuk. Although this was actually more funny. I travelled in SL with local buses and the train. The bus drivers are driving like crazy and the traffic is quite chaotic. But I rather sit in a big bus then in a small tuktuk. Also there is not much difference in time when you travel by tuktuk or local bus (on small distances). Local buses are often faster on the road, and tuktuk are faster in the city centre.

Room Tip: Don't take the balcony room. There is too much noise coming from the traffic. This starts around...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

We booked a room directly with the hotel via email.. We booked a non ac room .. As we stayed there only 1 night..
We took a train from colombo fort station to kandy.. We took the rajdhani express .. We arrived at 6.30pm ..
As mentioned on the lodge website .. You can walk to the lodge from kandy station .. It's only a 10 min walk..
And that's what we did.. We walked.. Better than bargaining with a tuk tuk..
As we arrived the lodge the lovely lady owner checked us in.. As usual we have had to fill up a form upon checkin.. We were the shown up to our room ..The room was a bit too small .. Very basic amenities in the room.. No drinking water provided.. As it was a non ac room we had a fan which we found quite sufficient and didn't find it hot at night ..
The room was clean and a mosquito repellent was provided.. Which was good.. The bathroom was big and clean .. There was hot/cold water and the shower is very strong.. Which is very hard to come by in Sri Lankan hotels ..
The only think that was bad about the room besides it being small was that there was a window facing the common corridor .. Even though there was curtains on the window ..we felt there was no privacy as the curtain keeps flying with the breeze of the fan and people walking by can have a good view ..
However not many people walked by that corridor ..
Maybe the management can think of putting a heavier curtain or just covering up that window..
Since we were staying for 1 night we didn't bother to change rooms..
The breakfast was ok.. The usual eggs and toast with some lovely home made jam..
After breakfast we walked around kandy.. Which I didn't like so much.. Too touristy,crowded and dirty.. Nothing much worth seeing..
Every tourist attraction is a scam there.. They just like to over charge tourists ..
We just walked around the lake and took a look at the palace and tooth relic from outside .. The attractions are not that great and definitely not worth the $$$..
We changed some more money at the bank before we cud check out and move to our next destination-Madulkelle..
We decided to rent a taxi to get there but found it difficult to find one in kandy.. We asked a few people and the ones we got were too over priced..
We then asked the lady at the hotel if she cud help us.. She initially called a very expensive cab company and they quoted a very high price.. Which was beyond our budget.. After a lot of searching and reminding that we are on a budget .. She then gave us the no. Of a budget taxi company that charges by the meter..
That worked out great for us the taxi arrived within 10min .. We checked out paid the hotel in cash and set out to our next destination ..
Overall the guesthouse was good if u stay for 1-2 nights.. Very reasonable and good for budget travellers ..
Staff are very nice at the guesthouse.. Everything clean and well maintained
My itinerary was colombo-kandy-madulkelle-nilaveli (via Sigriya)-negombo..

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank mamarilyn24
Gent, Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

We slept three nights in this place. We are a familly with two children and toked one room.
The room was clean and charming but rather small there are also more spacious rooms if you like to pay a bit more.
The woman from the house is very helpfull as well as her man and children.
The breakfast is served in her livingroom and the food is very nice.
We liked it to stay in this place and recommend it for the verry good price-quality balance.
Thx.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

We made a booking through Sevana's Website for one night before we arrived at the hotel.

We upgraded the room only one day before we arrived to an AC room via Email, since we realized Kandy might actually be as hot as Sigiriya or Anuradhapura. They responded quickly to our request without any problems.

We arrived by public bus and took a Tuk Tuk to the hotel for LKR150 from a bus dtand. You can walk to the
Temple of the Tooth, the main shopping belt, lake, railway station, bus station in about 10-15 mins depending on traffic.

The staff gave an excellent introduction on the area (supermarket, dance tickets,...)and what to do.

The room was clean and nicely furnished. You could really see they actually spent some money on the rooms. After some time of travelling and staying at cheap rooms it was actually really nice to sleep one night on a comfortable matress.

The bathroom was clean and high in quality (the toilet had a sanitized wrapper when we arrived) with hot water.

We let them know in the evening what time we would hike to have breakfast for the next morning.

In the morning, they served breakfast quickly and we got bread, fruits, homemade jam and marmalade as well as a smiling face looking omelette.

We would highly recommend Sevana as a place to stay. They offer high value for the money you spent with friendly and good service and good facilities.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kandy
Nature Walk Resort
#1 of 1 in Hantana
Clove Villa
Clove Villa
#2 of 53 in Kandy

Been to Sevana City Hotel? Share your experiences!