Nature Walk Resort
US$59
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
US$169
All reviewstuk tuksri lankatop floorfront facingnice viewminute walkkandyan danceclean roomstooth templewalking distancecommon areaskandy lakebudget hotelincredible viewsprivate balconymosquito netstayed for nights
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 August 2013

My partner and I were travelling Sri Lanka by motorcycle in April and on our 3rd day we reached Kandy. After a very long, hot and dusty journey to Kandy it was lovely to stay at the Nature Walk just outside the main city itself. The guesthouse (more like a hotel than a guest house) were very accommodating and sorted us a room with no booking. A decent sized room, clean no view but with AC. Not cheap but reasonable. The views from the communal areas are stunning and the breakfast is good and plentiful. The staff were really helpful when we were trying to arrange the next step on our journey allowing us to use their phone and offering route advice.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 July 2013

We stayed one night here, in a no view and no air-conditioning room. Overall, it's good but not excellent.

What I like:
1) Cleanliness: Clean, big toilet, clean sheet. I dont know about mosquito net because we didnt use it. Nothing much to complain about on this aspect.

On the fence:
1) Location: It's an uphill, so the view is amazing. Unfortunately, our cheaper side room didnt have a direct balcony, so to enjoy the view, we had to go to the common balcony. It's really a love hate relationship. While the view is nice, but the walk uphill can be a bit exhausting and gets a bit too dark after the sun sets. The distance is too far to walk yet too near to take a tuk-tuk, especially when we try to save every penny we could. The walk downhill is still okay and the walk around the lake is rather enjoyable. It's also strategically located near to the Kandy Lake Club, where you can watch Kandyan dance. Even so, we didnt watch it because it's too touristy. But if you want, it's definitely within walking distance because I can even hear the music in my room, close enough. But if you think that's annoying, you need to find somewhere else, or don't come back until the show is over, about 7 or 8pm. The show is usually on during the evening, daily.

2) Breakfast: It's included in the room charges, standard but not great. Fruits, toasts, jam, eggs, butter, tea and coffee. At least toasts were hot and crispy and fruits are in generous portion.

3) Staffs: We don't have any problem with the staffs. The owner/manager speaks good English. We were not pushed to take any service we don't want (e.g. Tuk Tuk).

What I dislike:
1) Room: The fan in our room was working like an old machine, it went "zung zung zung" the whole night, especially when in low speed. If in high speed, the sound was bearable but it got too cold and the fan looks like it is going to fly out of its socket anytime. I had to wake up several times in the night to adjust the speed, turn it on and off. But I think it's just our bad luck to get this noisy thing. Take note also that the ventilation is not very good, the room smells slightly dampened, but we are fine with that.

Room also. We were initially offered the room at the first floor, smaller and looking shabby. Then we changed to second floor, slightly bigger and more airy, but we have another problem now. They are renovating (like all others), and the workers were walking outside my window, and taking their shower there (with sarong of course). So many times I was shocked by the shadow on the window, I also had to use my hairclip to clip the curtains together so we could move about carelessly in the room, without having to worry someone might just peep from outside.

2) Price: If you are traveling on a tight budget, this might not be the place for you. If you are coming to relax and enjoy the view, probably you will like it. This is the most expensive place I've stayed in my entire Sri Lanka trip (Rs.4550 for a double bed, no view room).

I think I wouldn't come here again though, there are more places with similar price, perhaps better value.

Room Tip: The higher the rooms, the newer they will be.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 July 2013

A really great find! Fantastic location - only 10-15mins walk from Temple of Tooth area (about quarter of it uphill, sadly!) and superb service and facilities. The staff are friendly but not overly-so, they leave you alone when you want and there are no endless queries about shopping or finding tuk-tuks or hassling you about places to visit etc.

Great value for money too, worth every penny. Its ideal for both locals and foreign visitors, and there was a mix of both when we visited.

The menu is somewhat limited, but the food - quality, quantity & speed - is very good. There are plenty of other eating options nearby so it wasnt a problem!

Room Tip: The rooms overlooking the road give a great view, but make sure you keep your curtains drawn, as it also overlooks the kitchen and staff rooms of another hostel!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 July 2013

A very quiet and extremely friendly hotel located just near the center of Kandy. Our family of 6 people had a wonderful stay with great memories of this pleasant hotel. Very peaceful and a mere 15 minute walk to the center. Clean and good breakfast. The staff also recommended activities and made arrangements for us. Fabulous introduction to Sri Lanka and Kandy.

Room Tip: Rooms in front with the view are excellent.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 July 2013

As good as new the rooms are spacious as are the en-suite bathrooms, clean and comfortable.
The ones on the front (more expensive) have lovely views down over the valley but the side rooms (where we were) do have a door to the balcony and whilst they don't have a view they are more than adequate. There's a comfortable lounge area on the first floor and free wi-fi everywhere. The restaurant is good and inexpensive but be careful - at breakfast one morning sitting by the open french window a monkey ran in and stole the bread basket complete with my toast. Whilst the waiter was horrified we thought it hilarious!
For what you get, excellent value for money

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple