“Utter Disaster; Disorganized; Completely out of date but clean; Awkward”
Review of Nature Walk Resort

Nature Walk Resort
Ranked #17 of 54 Hotels in Kandy
USA
“Utter Disaster; Disorganized; Completely out of date but clean; Awkward”
Reviewed 19 January 2011

I cannot believe people's positive raves about this place. In fact I sometimes was laughing in the middle of the nite when I couldn't sleep because of the very uncomfortable beds and thinking how ridiculous this place is and how astray I was led by so many people.

First of all, this is ABSOLUTELY NOT a resort in any respect. At all. And there is nothing that natural about the place either. There are no natural grounds at the hotel. Really not even trees or anything to speak of. Secondly, almost every single person at the was complaining about their stay. No joke. It was hilarious. Just one complaint after another. Which made me continue to chuckle at all these fantastic reviews.

The people that work at the hotel smile and giggle, often in an overbearing and insincere way. And if you ask for something, they smile and then do NOT follow through! hahahah. It actually became quite funny just watching this as people would ask for things and would be completely DENIED! hahaha!

1) There is NO T.V. at all. I thought there was/would be. In fact at this website, it says they have TV's. And I think I paid through here, the deposit portion of the room. http://go-lanka.com/Kandy/nature_walk/facts.html So that is false advertisement.
2) It also says they have internet access. Well to me, if there is internet access, it is 24/7. It doesn't shut off . We are not children who need to goto bed when the owner decides. Well, at 10 PM it was shut off. I asked the 2nd nite if it could be left on, and I had to basically twist the owners arm. He begrudgingly did it and told me he didn't want to because he does not have a 24 hr a day plan. Well he needs to get one!! And the internet server went down several times a day. So on the 2nd nite, as usual they disregarded a guest's wish and turned it off! I had to run downstairs to get it turned back on!
3) This is UNBELIEVABLE...they have no ability to charge the room by credit card! That is the most unbelievably ridiculous thing I have ever heard in my life! And this was never ever told to me until 9 PM at night before I was checking out and I was leaving very early in the AM,so I needed to settle up. I asked the owner what he does when people don't have cash and he said he takes them to a cash machine. That is just ridiculous. AND it is very misleading b/c you are able to pay by credit card for the deposit portion at the website above.
4) The staff stare at you and make you feel quite uncomfortable. And seem very interested in trying to get you to spend endless amounts of money on things in town for which they must get kickbacks. They are quite intrusive. After awhile I learned to laugh it off and many of them are quite nice, but it is overbearing to the point where it really is no longer friendly. Many awkward moments being literally just stared at. I've spent time in multiple hotels in Sri Lanka, and this is the only place that made me feel that way.
5) Very uncomfortable yet clean beds.
6) I paid for a deluxe room and I am not sure what the 10$ USD extra was for except for the air conditioner, b/c I had no balcony. Actually my room literally abutted a wall. It was almost like being in NYC. So you HAVE to ask for certain rooms.
7) One of the people complaining was getting kicked out of their room b/c they someone else booked it and these folks didn't know they were going to have to move out. This place is super disorganized. The book that he uses to keep up with reservations looks like a completely disorganized nightmare!!

The place is very clean though. I have to give them that.

In conclusion, there are many places in Kandy to stay. Do not waste your time at this place. It is really not near anything to walk easily to. Everyone says you can walk to stuff in 10-15 minutes, but not really. There is nothing of consequence in a short distance. Yes, you can take a tuk-tuk very cheaply to things quickly, but I really like to walk to things and I felt trapped at this place. Don't do it, there are tons of places in Kandy and you may be much happier. I am not sure how so many good reviews happened, especially with almost everyone complaining while I was there. Some people even left early.

Anyways, enjoy Kandy and goto local areas in town. You can buy stuff very cheaply if you don't goto touristy areas. I got a huge amount of spices and tea for very little with a colleague who took me to a market with all local folks. So look for it!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank GlendaleCA

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 3 January 2011

Nature Walk Resort is such a gem. Our 2/F room was beautiful and spotless, with french doors opening up onto the balcony. There is also an open air common area on the 2/F. The manager, Sarath and his staff make you feel at home. Good value as well. I recommended Nature Walk to many fellow travelers going to Kandy.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Oslo
Reviewed 30 December 2010

This is a good place to stay in Kandy. Make sure you get one of the rooms with views, facing Kandy and the valley. I stayed in one of the rooms on the backside. They have no views and do not have the same qualities. Friendly staff and a nice 10 min uphill walk from downtown. ThiLanka Hotel has a good restaurant and is just 5 min walk away.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
UK
Reviewed 4 December 2010

We arrived n the rain and taken to a very clean room with a good sized bathroom .The staff are very pleasant and willing to do anything for you.We had a room at the top and despite the rain had a magnificent view
The hotel was very full but despite that very little noise in the evening My only criticism would be that at the top of the house the flow of hot water is poor and there is nowhere to hang your clothes up.Very good value with a good sized breakfast.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Chennai
Reviewed 1 December 2010

Located centrally, it allows one easy access to the Temple of the Tooth relic, the cultural center, the market area, shopping and the various restaurants that outline the streets of Kandy.
The guest house is a quiet place that is fully occupied most times. The rooms are neat, simple and clean. Bathrooms are clean with hot water ( though it takes a while for hot water to flow in). There isnt much amenities offered, but the view to the Knuckles range from the patio is excellent. It is also value for money.
It is advisable to choose Half board while booking..

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mustang312
Reviewed 30 November 2010

Staff here were great ESP the manager who arranged an early airport pick up and day trips for us. The room we had was great with great views, saw bats, monkeys and chipmunks from the balcony. 10 min walk ftom the centre of kandy on a very quiet rd. Right next door to one of the dance theatres which was worth a visit as v quiet at night otherwise in kandy. Overall good value.

• Stayed June 2010
New York
Reviewed 28 November 2010

Its hard to be critical when paying such a low rate and receiving such attentive service. I think had it not been for this one snafu I would have rated the property much higher. My bed was made with damp sheets so when I plopped down into it exhausted from the climb and drive from Sigiriya I landed into an unwelcoming, albeit refreshingly cool, bed. A bunch of gross explanations entered my mind and despite a sheet change I was thankful to have my sleeping bag.
There is a computer in the lobby with high speed internet that was free to use. Very handy.

• Stayed November 2010