I cannot believe people's positive raves about this place. In fact I sometimes was laughing in the middle of the nite when I couldn't sleep because of the very uncomfortable beds and thinking how ridiculous this place is and how astray I was led by so many people.
First of all, this is ABSOLUTELY NOT a resort in any respect. At all. And there is nothing that natural about the place either. There are no natural grounds at the hotel. Really not even trees or anything to speak of. Secondly, almost every single person at the was complaining about their stay. No joke. It was hilarious. Just one complaint after another. Which made me continue to chuckle at all these fantastic reviews.
The people that work at the hotel smile and giggle, often in an overbearing and insincere way. And if you ask for something, they smile and then do NOT follow through! hahahah. It actually became quite funny just watching this as people would ask for things and would be completely DENIED! hahaha!
1) There is NO T.V. at all. I thought there was/would be. In fact at this website, it says they have TV's. And I think I paid through here, the deposit portion of the room. http://go-lanka.com/Kandy/nature_walk/facts.html So that is false advertisement.
2) It also says they have internet access. Well to me, if there is internet access, it is 24/7. It doesn't shut off . We are not children who need to goto bed when the owner decides. Well, at 10 PM it was shut off. I asked the 2nd nite if it could be left on, and I had to basically twist the owners arm. He begrudgingly did it and told me he didn't want to because he does not have a 24 hr a day plan. Well he needs to get one!! And the internet server went down several times a day. So on the 2nd nite, as usual they disregarded a guest's wish and turned it off! I had to run downstairs to get it turned back on!
3) This is UNBELIEVABLE...they have no ability to charge the room by credit card! That is the most unbelievably ridiculous thing I have ever heard in my life! And this was never ever told to me until 9 PM at night before I was checking out and I was leaving very early in the AM,so I needed to settle up. I asked the owner what he does when people don't have cash and he said he takes them to a cash machine. That is just ridiculous. AND it is very misleading b/c you are able to pay by credit card for the deposit portion at the website above.
4) The staff stare at you and make you feel quite uncomfortable. And seem very interested in trying to get you to spend endless amounts of money on things in town for which they must get kickbacks. They are quite intrusive. After awhile I learned to laugh it off and many of them are quite nice, but it is overbearing to the point where it really is no longer friendly. Many awkward moments being literally just stared at. I've spent time in multiple hotels in Sri Lanka, and this is the only place that made me feel that way.
5) Very uncomfortable yet clean beds.
6) I paid for a deluxe room and I am not sure what the 10$ USD extra was for except for the air conditioner, b/c I had no balcony. Actually my room literally abutted a wall. It was almost like being in NYC. So you HAVE to ask for certain rooms.
7) One of the people complaining was getting kicked out of their room b/c they someone else booked it and these folks didn't know they were going to have to move out. This place is super disorganized. The book that he uses to keep up with reservations looks like a completely disorganized nightmare!!
The place is very clean though. I have to give them that.
In conclusion, there are many places in Kandy to stay. Do not waste your time at this place. It is really not near anything to walk easily to. Everyone says you can walk to stuff in 10-15 minutes, but not really. There is nothing of consequence in a short distance. Yes, you can take a tuk-tuk very cheaply to things quickly, but I really like to walk to things and I felt trapped at this place. Don't do it, there are tons of places in Kandy and you may be much happier. I am not sure how so many good reviews happened, especially with almost everyone complaining while I was there. Some people even left early.
Anyways, enjoy Kandy and goto local areas in town. You can buy stuff very cheaply if you don't goto touristy areas. I got a huge amount of spices and tea for very little with a colleague who took me to a market with all local folks. So look for it!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to Hotel Nature Walk Resort located on the edge of the jungle just 10 minutes walk from the center of Kandy. Relax in a clean and peaceful environment and enjoy the breathtaking views over the forest from your balcony where you can observe monkeys and a wide variety of birds and butterflies. All rooms are ensuite and the restaurant serves delicious food throughout the day. An internet service is also available. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Agoda, Traveltool, S.L.U. and Evoline ltd so you can book your Nature Walk Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Nature Walk Hotel Kandy