“I had to leave for the sake of my waistline...”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Jungle Tide

and 1 more site!
Jungle Tide
Ranked #4 of 366 Kandy B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“I had to leave for the sake of my waistline...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2013

I'm not going to lie, arriving at Jungle Tide (JT) for the first time is an experience in itself. Set high above Kandy, the drive up a steep, winding and, let's be honest, poor quality road is slow, bumpy and if you're scared of heights - as I am - a little unsettling.

However, no matter how much you may have disliked the journey up to JT, when you arrive it is absolutely, completely, definitely, unquestionably worth it.

Upon arrival you will be greeted by quite possibly the two nicest, most cheerful people in the whole history of the world. Ever. Jungle Tide itself is a beautiful, clean, comfortable property set in a fantastic location high in the hills. The property in itself is enough for me to recommend a stay here. However, what elevates JT above almost anywhere I have ever stayed before are the two cheerful people I've mentioned above. Martin and Rani are the resident housekeepers who are, in fairness, so much more (including performing the role of Mum and Dad - see my comment below about eating my greens). They will welcome you into their home as if they have known you all of their lives and are always on hand when you need them (without in any way being intrusive).

Rani will cook for you (if you ask her nicely - and pay her, of course!) and, once you've eaten her cooking three things will happen. Firstly, you will never want to leave. Secondly, you will understand why Martin has a little pot-belly. Thirdly, Martin will tell you off if you don't eat your greens. Rani's cooking is truly spectacular, and I'm considering starting a movement to have her UNESCO protected.

We only stayed for a couple of nights and wished that we could have stayed for considerably longer. If you find yourself in the Kandy area in need of a place to stay, do yourself a favour and give JT a try.

One point of note: before heading up to JT, make sure you have everything you need. You do not want to get all the way up there and realise that you need to nip to the shops.

Oh, and on a final note, if Martin, Rani, Jerry or Sally are reading this I would like to make a plea for Rani to share her Dahl recipe with me....

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Kingscliff, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2013

We had a wonderful stay at Jungle Tide during our one month family trip of Sri Lanka in June.
I must admit that I was a little worried as we navigated our way up the very very bad road with our driver swearing that he will refuse to come to Jungle Tide again.

Upon arriving to be greated by our lovely hosts Rana and Martin our worries where quickly put to rest. The house is georgous, with lovely clean rooms, comfortable beds and a beautiful veranda that look out over the garden and surrounding tea plantations. It really feels like a home away from home which was prefect for our young children who had been sick and enjoyed lounging around the house and playing endless games of Manopoly.

Rani is a magnificent cook so we made the most of this and ate in each night and Martin could not hav been more helpful in organising Tuk Tuk drivers to take us to Kandy each day when our driver left. He also arranged our ticket on the train to Ella which was fantastic.

It was a different experience staying so far out of Kandy in the tea plantations however if we return to Kandy I would not hesitate to stay here again.

Just wonderful

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2013

We were lucky enough to spend 5 nights in Jungle Tide at the end of March. The bungalow is beautifully furnished and very comfortable. The setting is absolutely perfect set amongst the tea plantations and the garden is stunning, full of birds and other wildlife. We really enjoyed sitting outside and watching the monkeys in the trees and also just listening to the birdsong and chirruping of the cicadas. The local walks are lovely and we really enjoyed Martins company as we walked around the villiage. All the locals are very friendly and we really felt very fortunate to be in such a lovely place. Kandy is also a great base for exploring the local surroundings we also used a driver recommended by Sally and Jerry who was a wonderful guide and indeed friend by the end of the trip. You would be very hard pushed to find better hosts than Martin and Rani, the food was stunning and the service amazing, have never been looked after so well. They are truly warm and wonderful people. Thanks also to Sally & Jerry I hope we can return one day.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Farnham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2013

We were so lucky to spend several days at Jungle Tide in February. Sally & Jerry are excellent hosts with fantastic knowledge of everything Sri Lankan. Martin & Rani's skills are accurately documented in many other reviews and deservedly so. Jungle Tide is a tranquil retreat up in the hills with stunning mountain views, birdlife and a warm Sri Lankan welcome. The bungalow is spotlessly clean, the beds are comfy, the food is delicious and plentiful and the large verandah - great for birdwatching and just chilling. Yes - the road up from Kandy is interesting - especially if you travel back down in the local bus! But don't be deterred - it's a great place to spend a few days.

Room Tip: All the bedrooms are clean, comfortable, well furnished and with french doors onto the verandah.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2013

I just spent a week in jungle tide (18-23th feb, 2013) in my first visit in Sri Lanka. It is such a lovely place for relaxing and walking around the tea plantations and villages. The house is beautifully built equipped with modern facilities, very clean and comfortable. There is a local village bakery 5minutes from the house, oven reminds of movie scene. we got there to get the morning produce, bread is fantastically tasty. Pig Rocks is about 2 hours walk from the house through tea plantations, 4 hours is return trip giving a very good half day exersice. Cook Rani is excellent making very good Sri Lankan food, veggie curry is my favorite, "pol San po"(spelling might be wrong) at breakfast is delicious, it's mix of coconut meat, onion, pepper etc.. Service is very good, Martin is very helpful. Jungle Tide is ideal place for escape from noisy bustling city life to embrace nature.

Room Tip: the at the end of the guest house is my favourite, with windows looking into the garden and windows...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Kirkcaldy, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2013

My husband and I and his brother and wife spent a wonderful ten days at Jungle Tide last September. We got lots of tips, hints and information from Sally and Jerry before we left which was so useful. They recommended a car hire company and driver, which made it so much easier for us when we arrived, all organised. Jungle Tide is a wonderful sanctuary set high in the tea plantations above Kandy and if you're after peace, comfort and splendid views look no further! As everyone has said before me, Martin and Rani are second to none as hosts. Nothing's too much trouble and the food was excellent. (We had many and varied Sri Lankan curries, but if you wanted to try something specific they willingly obliged. (Martin appeared with his cookery book to organise hoppers for us....!) The road (or lack of it....) has been well documented, but if you're prepared for it, it really is not a problem - just made the G&Ts on the verandah all the sweeter when we did arrive home!
Unfortunately, I slipped and broke my ankle badly while out walking and I have to say Martin was terrific and couldn't do enough for us. He came to the hospital and helped with the translation etc and came down with my husband every day to visit (always with a bag of goodies) until I escaped! Can I just say too, that the hospital and staff were fantastic, despite much hilarity caused by the language barrier. If you're looking for something a bit different we would thoroughly recommend a visit to Sri Lanka and especially Jungle Tide. P.S. Do look out for the resident mongoose in the morning and evening and the huge fruit bats hanging on the telephone wires at the gate. (Spooky!)

Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2013

Yes, it does take 45 minutes to get there from Kandy and yes, the last few kilometres are pretty bad, but then this means you are right in the heart of traditional Sri Lanka, away from the crowded and noisy streets of the town. You can sit on the terrasse looking out over a beautiful mountain range and tea plantations, you can walk to a typical little village, or ask one of the locals to take you on a longer walk, the children can run and play games on the well kept lawns or go down to the little stream, in the morning you can go and get fresh bread, filled rolls, and sweet buns from the local baker who has toiled all night over his wood-fired oven. We also enjoyed excursions to Kandy, to the elephant orphanage and other nearby places.
The house is spotlessly kept, comfortable and spacious, each room with its own modern clean bathroom and french doors opening onto the terrasse. The housekeepers, Martin and Rani, are always there to help you and guide you, all with a smile of course; they provide delicious meals and during our week of breakfasts and dinners we must have sampled most sri lankan specialties and loved all of them.
Of course we were lucky to have warm and sunny weather but there is no guarantee of this (there had been torrential rain the week preceding) and it will best suit guests who are looking for space to relax and want to enjoy a slow pace of life for a few days: you won’t be disappointed.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kandy
Sevana City Hotel
#1 of 1 in Miwaladeniya
Hanthana House
Hanthana House
#1 of 366 in Kandy

Been to Jungle Tide? Share your experiences!