“friendly owner and his team”

Tamarind Tree Guest House
Ranked #210 of 388 Kandy B&B and Inns
Kleinmachnow, Germany
“friendly owner and his team”
Reviewed 10 May 2012

I am sitting here on the balcony and I see the beautiful kandy city from hanthane to hotel thilank, I think one of the best view that I can enjoy in a such friendly hospitality.rooms are king size and barth rooms are very clean.

This place is good value for money and they got there own took took.
Sri lankan food is very good and really like home cooking atmosphere.

It is not far from kandy city like 20 min by walk can reach here..I enjoy this placeright now

Room Tip: People say this place is away from kandy city, but that is wrong, it very close.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank kishen z

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Northleach, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 April 2012

We stayed in this guest house in March for 5 nights and found it very clean and comfortable. Its location has the advantage of being quiet although this also means it is a 30 minute walk into the centre. The food was very good, both at breakfast and in the evening.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Sue T
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed 11 March 2012

We stayed two nights here. There were nice people and good food(included).
They speak nice English.
We stayed in non-A/C room, but it was OK. They have hot water, towels, and Wi-Fi(not free, 100Rps for half day, 200Rps for all day). You can decide the menu of dinner.
It is a little far away from the center of the city(about 10-15min by threewheeler), but quiet and good atmosphere.
There are Ayuruveda place near from here and also super market.
If you are backpackers, it may be a bit expensive but if you looking for a friendly family running guest house, this could be the place for you.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Katherin_12
Denpasar, Indonesia
Reviewed 11 January 2012

We stayed with and were driven around by Sanaka the owner of Tamarind Guest House and found him to be a knowledgeable gentleman and genuinely lovely guy!! We were totally shocked by the previous review as we found him to be totally honest and trust worthy. He goes out of his way to please his guests, and not in that "fake over nice "way either. He has a guest book full of great reviews.
We find it hard to believe he would jeopardise his business and reputation by stealing a cheap phone. Kinds makes no sense at all ! I ask you to think about that one before making your own mind up about the previous review.
We had a great time with him and his family and you have to meet his fabulous dog Rex ! Sanaka will drive you to any destination in his comfy van and his prices are very reasonable. He knows all the places to stay and eat and will find you good guides at the main tourist attractions if you need them.
If you need a hotel and transport in Kandy you have found it bat the Tamarind tree Guest house!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Kai J
Haßloch
Reviewed 7 January 2012

As backpackers we've visited lot's of countries all over the world, but our most favorite is Sri Lanka and we've been here for five times now. The first trip was in 1994 and we decided to show our son the beauties of Sri Lanka when he had turned to eight years in 2004.
At this time we stayed at Seneka's small guesthouse "Walkers Inn Forest Lodge" and in the years 2006, 2008 and 2011 we returned to Sri Lanka and spent some days in Kandy, always in Seneka's guesthouse, even that he moved from "Walker's Inn" over "Planters Hotel" to "Tamarind Tree Guest House". We made several friends all around the island and Seneka and his lovely family are one of those who make us feeling home far way from Germany, I guess coming back four times speaks for itself. If you ask for the menue at time of breakfast, Seneka always offers to buy eg. fresh fish etc. from the market and prepares a perfect dinner at the time you've arranged with him. They also offer washing your clothes for a reasonable price and pick-up service from all around the island (eg. he picked us up from the Rainforest due to difficult bus connections to Kandy). Of course he's a business man, but we've always felt treated perfect and we appreciated his reliability. Be sure we'll come back !!!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank Jochen D
Kandy
Reviewed 22 May 2011

Unless you want to be robbed and cheated, its probably best not to stay here. I had my doubts about the owner from the start but unfortunately against my better judgement ignored myself and we stayed. He had kindly invited us to see his son's rugby match and we were delighted to go. We however made the mistake of leaving our phone in the car presuming it would be okay. After the match we decided to go our own way without retrieving the phone (which was stupidity on our part but genuinely thought it would be safe, especially seen as its not worth much). When we came home that night there was no sign of the phone, we presumed when we got up the next day the matter would be sorted but it wasn't. He was not surprised nor very helpful. Annoyed and feeling unhappy we decided to leave. It was 2pm and he charged us for an extra night stay. We have traveled extensively and never in my life have I met such an ignorant and horrible man. He was clearly very annoyed with us because we didn't eat in his restaurant (which was very overpriced in comparison to other eateries) and it did really seem as if he stole our worthless phone out of spite. It is the principle not the price that matters to us and we had wanted to leave without any confrontation or arguement but were incensed by his audacity to charge us an extra night! Without doubt, the worse place I've ever stayed!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank aoibhkins
thushari, Manager at Tamarind Tree Guest House, responded to this review, 1 January 2012
Dear customer,

as the manager of 'Tamarind Tree Inn' I feel very sorry about the events and misunderstandings that led to this bad review.
This can not be the place to clarify the issues against both my person and my business, however I would like to remark that I tried to resolve the problems and even offered going to the local police station.
My business ideal is to be at service for my customers at all times and to help them spend a perfect holiday in my beloved country.
A review like this one - whose contents were not 'objectively' resolved - is threatening both my reputation and the existence of my business.
I have a record of satisfied customers that revisited my guesthouse in the past years so I feel very sad about this particular review.

Kind regards,
Mr. Senaka & Ms. Sagasekara

Travellers are raving about these Kandy hotels