“Beautiful colonial home in the heart of Kandy”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kandy
Madugalle Friendly Family Guest House
Ranked #11 of 452 Kandy B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I am so grateful that we found Madugalle's home in Kandy. From the outside the house doesn't look like much, but inside it's beautiful and fresh. There's an indoor courtyard and garden and four rooms of the mezzanine. The room was basic, but clean and fresh. We enjoyed sitting in the mezzanine courtyard in the evening.
The host Mrs Madugalle was so welcoming, friendly, smiley and so nice. She gave us a lot of useful tips. Dinner and breakfast were amazing with authentic Sri Lankan food.
I would definitely recommend this guesthouse to anyone who visits Kandy. The location is also great as you can walk to the temple and lake with no need to take a tuk tuk.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Marla412

Reviewed 29 April 2014

We stayed 4 nights in the Madugalle guest house in April. The hostess Kumari was extremely helpful, hospitable and accommodating. She was able to room us for two extra nights that weren't planned and was able to provide very helpful advice when it came to what was interesting to do in Kandy. Additionally, she put us into contact with an excellent guide (Udaya) to take us to Knuckles National Park where we spent a fantastic day trekking (please see my separate TA review for Knuckles Park for further details). Overall, this was a great experience!!!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 March 2014

The guesthouse arranged us a pick-up at the station of Kandy. Hostess Madugalle even called us in advance to let us know the driver was on his way. At a certain stage a tuktuk came by and called us. We asked if he was the appointed driver, which he confirmed (we did not knew who the driver was or even what the color of the tuktuk was). Even while driving we asked again just to be sure. ‘Everything was ok’ he told us. He stopped at something that looked like a Swiss congress hotel near the lake. It was obvious the guy was just telling lies and we were furious. Fortunately mrs. Madugalle called us at exact the right time, and we passed her to the driver. In the end the guy dropped us off in front of the guesthouse, but unfortunately we had to pay 200 rupees to the false driver. Tip: if you have a pick-up arranged, ask something specific about the tuktuk-driver in advance. Otherwise you’ll certainly end up with the wrong guy.

The location of the guesthouse is in the middle of one of the main roads into Kandy. It takes you approx. 20 minutes to go to the lake and the temple of the tooth. It took me 45 minutes to reach the big Buddha. It’s better to remember the house number, because there are no signs whatsoever indicating there is a gentle guesthouse behind the front of the building. Inside there is a spacious living and dining room with loads of artefacts and family photographs.

The rooms are a little bit dusty and basic but fare enough with their own bathroom. Wi-Fi and mosquito nets are available. There are no sheets, but if you just ask for them they will be provided. The only thing that bothered me was a window to the corridor which prevented the room to be completely darkened. Also in terms of privacy this is a disadvantage. Mattress and pillows are just above average, but the bathroom is excellent. We stayed in one of the rooms on the ground floor and don’t have any complaints about the traintracks.

Mrs Madugalle is very friendly and her hospitality touches you in every way. We had conversations about our and her personal life you will never have with hotel crews. She told us her husband is a descendant of a famous local resistance hero during the British colonial period. (His skull is buried in front of the temple of the tooth.) She cooked us dinner twice, and on both of the two evenings the curry dishes were top notch. She even served me a bottle of beer (which is not evident to find in a place like Kandy). She also sells some authentic souvenirs like little masks, key hangers… The revenue goes integral to charity.

Breakfast includes eggs, toast, fresh fruit and, besides the tea, fresh pineapple juice.
Overall I liked it here due to the hospitality and the casual, authentic atmosphere.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank WouterVG7
Reviewed 9 March 2014

We had the honor to stay at Madugalle Friendly Family Guest House with my girlfriend a few weeks ago. I must say that the hostess was one of the nicest people I have met in my travels. Kumari was keen to help us with any requests we had and help us to plan a hiking trip to Knuckles Mountains which was amazing. Definitely a place to stay if you plan to visit Kandy and it's surroundings.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Peter_Hutta
Reviewed 6 March 2014

I stayed at Mr & Mrs Madugalle's house in Jan 2014

The Madugalles are excellent hosts , and sure they made you feel comfortable in kandy. The rooms were good size, mosquito proof, and clean.

In this house, the history would attract you.Besides the host Ms Kumari, is a very nice and kind woman.

It's so impressive, the rooms are fill with history , and the house's design is very special.

The breakfast is also good, If you're looking for a real Sri Lanka experience, I would certainly recommend a stay in this house.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank He J
Reviewed 5 March 2014

Have stayed in the hotel for two nights, have to say it's the best experience in Sri Lanka! The lady is very kind, the house is full of story and clean, the food is high quality and not expensive! We had 2 dinners here even we only stayed 2 nights in Kandy, we just thought the food was good enough that we didn't want to try others.....the lady kept on asking if we had enough. We felt a bit embarrassed since we asked too much, the food is just too delicious, so we asked 3 rounds....but the lady said she felt happy that we love the food!

I don't know why there is one bad comments , every one here including the guests are very nice to each other, the sleeping room is basic but clean enough! I would introduce all my friends to stay here when traveling in Kandy, otherwise they will miss the most wonderful things here!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank xinxin1234
Reviewed 3 March 2014

My wife and I stayed 3 days in the Madugalle guest house in Feb. The hostess Kumari was extremely helpful and accommodating. She was able to room us for an extra nite that wasn't planned and was able to provide very helpful advice when it came to what was interesting to do in Kandy. Additionally, she put us into contact with an excellent guide (Kumara) to take us to Knuckles National Park where we spent a fantastic day trekking (please see my separate TA review for Knuckles Park for further details).

The Madugalle guest house itself was very quaint (see other reviews). Breakfast was included in the room rate and consisted of toast, coffee/tea, fresh fruit, and an egg. The rooms themselves were very basic. The photos that others have posted are very representative of the rooms. I have given an average rating for value, cleanliness, and the rooms themselves when I compare it to other guest houses that I have stayed at during my travels.

What made this guest house special was Kumari's hospitality and helpfulness.

Room Tip: There are train tracks running directly behind the guest house, so the last room on the top floor wo...