“Top quality batik”

Jayamali Batiks Studio
Ranked #1 of 37 Shopping in Kandy
More attraction details
Owner description: Some Guides and Drivers could try to recommend you another batik shop by saying that my shop is closed today or difficult to find, etc;. Please do not believe such people. Please call me or use Google map to find my store easily. My shop is situated inside the Kandy Central Market which is opposite the Kandy Clock Tower and it is not difficult to find as it is a well known local market in Kandy. The shop is open from 9.00am to 6.00pm every day. In case if the shop is closed, please call me or get a free call from the shop which is next to mine as it is a pleasure to open my store for you within next 20 minutes. Jayamali Batiks Studio, one of the most famous batik studios in Kandy, was founded in 1979 by Jayakody. He discovered his talent to create unique batik wall hangings and started the business with very few means at his home as a family business. His unique style of designing modern, artistic and unusual designs to a very high quality fascinated the foreign guests who visited his studio.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Top quality batik”
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Jayamali Batiks is one of the finest batik shops I've visited in Asia. CJ is a good salesman as he took the time to explain the batik process and didn't try to rip us off. The batik paintings were far superior than anything you'll at any market, so don't expect to bargain at the same rate. My parents and I bought two paintings and one shirt and we are all happy with our purchases. If you are looking for an original batik painting, then this is the place for you.

Visited April 2014

• Arabic first
San Francisco, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Worth a visit”
Reviewed 3 April 2014 via mobile

I was really impressed with jayamali batiks. The central market where it's located is a great location, but don't be fooled by all the other shops on the second floor of the market aggressively trying to sell undesirable merchandise. These batiks are very high quality with interesting and original designs. You could probably find cheaper ones around kandy, but not of the same quality and originality.

Adelaide, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent batik shop in Kandy”
Reviewed 2 April 2014

On my recent trip to Sri Lanka one of the highlights of my trip was my visit to the Jayamli Batik Studio in the Kandy central market. The shop does not open until approximately 11am so I had to wait a short time for the shop to open, but it was well worth the wait and the effort to find the shop. The batiks range from traditional designs to some new and modern original designs, all inspired by the culture and wildlife of Sri Lanka. Do make sure that you mention when you start talking to him that you have seen the reviews on trip advisor as he really appreciates it if he knows that you have especially come to see his work. The process used to create these wonderful pieces of fabric is explained in detail and it is well worth finding out, as you will then understand just how difficult and detailed this work is. I bought a couple of pieces which I am looking forward to having framed and hanging in my house in the near future. If you don't have time to visit the shop there is also a web site and you can order online and have them shipped anywhere in the world.

1 Thank Kay_and_Sasha
Louisville, Kentucky
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Beautiful batik art shop”
Reviewed 30 March 2014

While shopping the Kandy Central Market, we remembered reading about Jayamali Batiks on Trip Advisor, and once again, the excellent ratings were right on target! CJ is not only a skilled artist and craftsman, but an articulate professional who explained the detailed process for making these treasures. It is no wonder it took so long to decide on a wall hanging considering the wide selection, unique designs and artistic precision. We finally bought two modern batiks. We choose the "working ants" (my name for it) and the "rice paddy workers."

If near Kandy, don't miss this rare opportunity to meet a gifted artist and his superb gallery of art. Just talking with CJ was a treat. We will return again this year for more!

Genova
“Thank you CJ”
Reviewed 12 March 2014

I visit Jamayli Batiks last year with my family and we bought 2 beautiful batiks. When we came back to Italy I decided to order to Cj a very big tree of life to make a present for Christmas to my husband. Cj asked me the exact mesurement I would like and he startef his beautiful work. The present has arrived in time and when I have opened the package I was very surprise: the batik was great. My husband had his christmas present in time and I have to thank you Cj because my husband have recived a very special present. We hanged the batik on the big wardrobe we have in our bedroom and the result is great.
It was very easy and very safe asked to Cj to make a new batik for us. Cj was very patient with me and absolutly precise with the mesurement of my wardrobe.
I'm very satisfyte of the result.
I think Cj is an artist and a very nice person.
Anna Italy