“Dishonest!” 1 of 5 bubbles

49 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“Dishonest!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

I read the reviews for Sthree and decided to visit for souvenirs. The selection is small. I bought a small batik and a few cards. I was confused when paying and gave the shopkeeper 5000 rupees too much for my purchase. I was adding too many zeros to my total -- easy to do when everything is in thousands. I realized my mistake 5 minutes after I left and went back to ask for the correct change. She pulled the "look it's not in my cash box trick." We knew exactly how much cash we had before money and 5000 was missing. My mistake for not counting more carefully, but to take advantage of my confusion and give me incorrect change is not acceptable. If you do shop here beware that they are dishonest and count your change carefully!

Visited January 2014
3 Thank Laura Z

Antwerpen, België
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Great place for souvenirs”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

A whole range of nice souvenirs, fixed reasonable prices, very friendly staff, close to the town. The best shop in Kandy for buying your souvenirs!

Visited April 2012
Istanbul, Turkey
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Excellent place to buy souvenirs and presents!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

A short 3-wheeler drive from the main street, Stree was a fabulous find. The store run by a local NGO has a variety of beautiful souvenirs including cards, art, bags, clothes and more. It absolutely perfect for souvenirs and presents for family and friends at VERY reasonable rates without the hassle of bartering (a welcome relief for this exhausted traveller). Importantly as the items are made by women, the profits and benefits return to the community.

Visited February 2012
Kandy, Sri Lanka
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Buying nice souvenirs is a great way to improve the lives of the local people!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

Sthree is a not-for-profit store run by a local NGO called the Women’s Development Centre. Sthree meaning woman in both Tamil and Singhala, the store sells high quality items including wall hangings, prints, quilts, bags, clothing (including saris), postcards, food produce and other great tourist memorabilia.

Items are produced through income-generating programs from all over Sri Lanka including residents at a crisis centre for abused girls and women, low-income women and disabled persons. There are low administration fees and the items are sold at fixed and reasonable prices.

I would highly recommend this store not only for the opportunity to buy high quality memorabilia, however also as a great way to improve the lives of vulnerable persons in the local community.

!! NOTE: The address of Sthree is 327, Peradeniya Road in Kandy (next to fashion bug). 61, Mulgampola Road is the address of the WDC, the organisation which runs the shop.

Visited March 2012