“Perfect place to stay in Kandy” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Villa 49
Ranked #1 of 272 Speciality Lodging in Kandy
Warsaw, Poland
“Perfect place to stay in Kandy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2013

We stayed there only for one night but is was one of the best places in Sri Lanka. The atmosphere was welcoming and rooms comfortable and homely. The décor of the room and other areas were warm, stylish and with nice and tasteful furniture, decorations and photos. The hot water and AC were in the room, the room was very clean.
We ate there the best breakfast in Sri Lanka, real Sri Lankan breakfast, but also eggs, toasts, and delicious home-made confiture. The host and the staff were very friendly and helpful.
A vey positive experience. We wish we could stayed longer in Villa 49.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2013 via mobile

Confess that I felt like home, when I arrived Hotel 49, Kandy Sri Lanka. With warm hospitality, we enjoy the sincerity service from staffs. Don't forget to try vegetarian Sri Lanka dinner. It is romantics under the candle. I learn how to have dinner here. Sri Lanka food is served with varieties of small dishes like Korean food. Before having, you must take a little bit of foods surround your rice like planet around the Sun. Then you take a littler and mixed with rice and take it. Your dish becomes harmonious and healthy. if you take separately, the taste may extreme.

Don't expect TV, we come here to enjoy peaceful atmosphere. But the wifi signal is powerful.

I love to be here.

Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2013 via mobile

Reservation: made my reservation through booking.com price is similar if email guesthouse directly. Usd50 + 10% service charge.
Reception: room wasnt ready as I arrived before noon. Host served tea and suggest leaving my luaggage and explore the city which I did.
Room: I was put at the room on the 2nd floor on the main building. New block with balcony looks very nice but I did not have a chance to see the inside. My room is very clean, with aircon and provided towels. Window with a view but no balcony nor TV( if you expect them) Owner stays next to my room and she makes sure I was attend to whenever I open my door. Very attentive! Free Wifi is strong throughout my stay
Location : abt 20-30mins walk to kandy railway station but suggest you to take 3 wheeler if taking train. Else you can leisurely stroll by the lake to tooth relic temple or catch a cultural dance show where both are abt 15-20mins mins walk from guesthouse.
Meals : asked for a Sri lankan breakfast prior night. Was just ok compared to those I had. Did not have dinner here.
Overall : comfortable stay here although I think price is slightly expensive

Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2013

My husband and I stayed at Villa 49 based on the wonderful reviews and we were very happy with the stay. The rooms are huge and clean and the decor was welcoming and tasteful designs. We loved the Sri Lankan dinner our host Shenani prepared and you can tell she takes really good care of her guests. She was helpful in giving tips on where to go around Kandy. She also helped us arrange a driver to go to the tea plantations. Villa 49 is a must stay if visiting kandy. You'll get fantastic meals and very nice rooms to stay in. All the staff were very friendly. Thank you!!

• Stayed February 2013
Charmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2013

Villa 49 can take a bit of finding but is well worth the effort. The rooms are large and comfortable with the most quiet AC, I have ever come across. The en suite bath room, though rather small had everything that one requires with an efficient shower & abundant hot water.The dining area was comfortable and homely and the home cooked meals offered a wide range of excellent Sri Lankan dishes as well as some western food. The fresh fruit supplied with the breakfast was much appreciated. The owner was charming & friendly and was never short of time to give advice about Kandy or to share her recipes with the curious. A very relaxing stay of 2 nights for my wife & I.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights. Our room was not quite as stylised as the pictures on TA suggest [maybe slightly tired?] but it was comfortable and the dining area was tastefully decorated and homely. We had dinner at Villa 49 on our first night which was very tasty. The owner, Shanani takes great care with the cooking and was really welcoming [she makes best coconut brownies!]. The location is very good, we could walk to the lake in under 5 mins which was really great as it means you can explore Kandy under your own steam … walk up to the huge white Buddha on the hill overlooking the lake for amazing views and go to Helga’s Folly for dinner if you can as it is magical!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2013 via mobile

Villa 49 is a wonderful place to to stay in Kandy. It was an insight into a beautiful Sri Lankan home run by its very gracious owner. The level of detail in the room and the exceptional quality of the vegetarian cuisine was really appreciated by my husband and I. The location is close to the Tooth Temple site.

Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kandy
Sevana City Hotel
Earl's Regency
Earl's Regency
#1 of 1 in Tennekumbura
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,857 reviews

Been to Villa 49? Share your experiences!