“good place to stay in kandy”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Villa 49

and 1 more site!
Villa 49
Ranked #1 of 288 Speciality Lodging in Kandy
Tel Aviv, Israel
“good place to stay in kandy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2013

We stayed two nights in Kandy
The room was comfortably and clean, the a/c worked well
It is close to the city so we were able come and rest and go out again
From train station u has to take a ‘toktok’
The owner was very friendly and helpful
We booked a show in city and enjoyed it
WI fi worked well only in the dining room

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2013

Let me start by saying that I have been to over 70 countries, so I am a bit critical of places.
Arriving at this place I was a bit worried - there's no signage and you have to ring a bell at the front gate to get let in. I was led into what looked like the family kitchen. After writing down my details I was taken to my room, which was at the top of 4 flights of stairs. But then I opened the door to the room and 'wow'! The room was clean, well decorated and massive. The bathroom was spotless. And there was a huge balcony which meant it was the only room up there.
After collecting my boyfriend from the train station (I had been volunteering in Kandy for 3 weeks), I learnt there was a side entrance which made it easier to come and go. The location was perfect, just off the main road near the lake which meant it was quite, but easy to get places.
The next morning we were served breakfast very promptly. The coffee left a little to be desired, but I dont think you'll find good coffee anywhere in Kandy. The owner was very friendly and helpful. She makes her own jams, one being from sour-sop (which I had heard of, but wasnt game to try until now),
If I ever go back to Kandy, this is the place I'll be staying

2 Thank travellingirl153
Warsaw, Poland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2013

We stayed there only for one night but is was one of the best places in Sri Lanka. The atmosphere was welcoming and rooms comfortable and homely. The décor of the room and other areas were warm, stylish and with nice and tasteful furniture, decorations and photos. The hot water and AC were in the room, the room was very clean.
We ate there the best breakfast in Sri Lanka, real Sri Lankan breakfast, but also eggs, toasts, and delicious home-made confiture. The host and the staff were very friendly and helpful.
A vey positive experience. We wish we could stayed longer in Villa 49.

Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2013 via mobile

Confess that I felt like home, when I arrived Hotel 49, Kandy Sri Lanka. With warm hospitality, we enjoy the sincerity service from staffs. Don't forget to try vegetarian Sri Lanka dinner. It is romantics under the candle. I learn how to have dinner here. Sri Lanka food is served with varieties of small dishes like Korean food. Before having, you must take a little bit of foods surround your rice like planet around the Sun. Then you take a littler and mixed with rice and take it. Your dish becomes harmonious and healthy. if you take separately, the taste may extreme.

Don't expect TV, we come here to enjoy peaceful atmosphere. But the wifi signal is powerful.

I love to be here.

Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2013 via mobile

Reservation: made my reservation through booking.com price is similar if email guesthouse directly. Usd50 + 10% service charge.
Reception: room wasnt ready as I arrived before noon. Host served tea and suggest leaving my luaggage and explore the city which I did.
Room: I was put at the room on the 2nd floor on the main building. New block with balcony looks very nice but I did not have a chance to see the inside. My room is very clean, with aircon and provided towels. Window with a view but no balcony nor TV( if you expect them) Owner stays next to my room and she makes sure I was attend to whenever I open my door. Very attentive! Free Wifi is strong throughout my stay
Location : abt 20-30mins walk to kandy railway station but suggest you to take 3 wheeler if taking train. Else you can leisurely stroll by the lake to tooth relic temple or catch a cultural dance show where both are abt 15-20mins mins walk from guesthouse.
Meals : asked for a Sri lankan breakfast prior night. Was just ok compared to those I had. Did not have dinner here.
Overall : comfortable stay here although I think price is slightly expensive

Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2013

My husband and I stayed at Villa 49 based on the wonderful reviews and we were very happy with the stay. The rooms are huge and clean and the decor was welcoming and tasteful designs. We loved the Sri Lankan dinner our host Shenani prepared and you can tell she takes really good care of her guests. She was helpful in giving tips on where to go around Kandy. She also helped us arrange a driver to go to the tea plantations. Villa 49 is a must stay if visiting kandy. You'll get fantastic meals and very nice rooms to stay in. All the staff were very friendly. Thank you!!

• Stayed February 2013
Charmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2013

Villa 49 can take a bit of finding but is well worth the effort. The rooms are large and comfortable with the most quiet AC, I have ever come across. The en suite bath room, though rather small had everything that one requires with an efficient shower & abundant hot water.The dining area was comfortable and homely and the home cooked meals offered a wide range of excellent Sri Lankan dishes as well as some western food. The fresh fruit supplied with the breakfast was much appreciated. The owner was charming & friendly and was never short of time to give advice about Kandy or to share her recipes with the curious. A very relaxing stay of 2 nights for my wife & I.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kandy
Sevana City Hotel
Theva Residency
Theva Residency
#1 of 1 in Hantana
The Richmond House Kandy

Been to Villa 49? Share your experiences!