Villa 49
  • Restaurant
  • Pool
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
OZO Kandy Sri Lanka(Kandy)
View Hotel
All reviewshomemade jamstop floorthe ownersri lankaminute walkcoconut pancakestuk tuklady who runsroof terracevegetable curriessmall gardentooth templehome away from homekandy lakewalking distanceroom was largetrain station
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Our family stayed here last august for 3 nights - it was a great first stop on our 3 week trip to sri lanka. We felt very at home and Shanani is a wonderful helpful host. I would also highly recommend eating dinner at villa 49 the food is delicious. It's a great location with a nice short walk into kandy.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Plus: We booked one night and would like to extend one more night but it was full. Not surprised with such comfortable rooms and friendly staff! The room was large, clean and lovely. I especially appreciated the safe and the hair dryer. There was even a sofa bed! I liked the breakfast in the beautiful dining room, and thanks for the fresh juice when we were waiting for the tuk tuk to transfer us to another hotel! The location was a bit up the hill but quite close to the lake and the Kandy performance center and the tooth relic temple. We would definitely stay again if we come back to Kandy!

Minus: With such an elegant room, I think it doesn't hurt much if bath gel were provided. It doesn't need to be in small package but store in some small bottles would feel more environmental friendly and homey. Unfortunately we didn't enjoy the hotel that the owner lady recommended. It was such a chute from the nice experience with Villa 49.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 March 2014

I stayed at Villa 49 early December 2013. It's a small and nice place and the owner, Miss Shnani is very hospitable and will do anything to make you feel at home. You can also order dinner at her place which is great to get a taste of authentic Lankan homecoocking. Because the place is just outside the centre of Kandy (east corner of Bogambara lake - on a smaller road) it's also pretty quiet. Rooms are good and comfortable.

I can also recommend her driver Praboda. He picked me up from the airport and was really knowledgable on lots of things. Sights to see, political situation in Sri Lanka, sports, you name it. I had 8000 lkr (= 44€, 61 $, a nice monthly income for a lot of people in Sr iLanka) in my pocket and stepping out of the car at Villa 49 it must have fell out of my pocket without me noticing it. Later Praboda found it and returned the money. Very admirable and it says something about the way Praboda and Miss Shnani work at Villa 49.

Thanks for the nice stay!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 March 2014

We loved our room here, bathroom especially since it was one of the few places where the shower didn't run into the rest of the bathroom making everything wet. Only minus point to be honest was the driver quarters...our driver had to share with 3 other guys in one small room. It's important I feel that your driver has a good nights sleep as he is obviously keeping you safe on the roads...and since we had a toddler with us that was of importance. I would really recommend they not cramp all the driver's together in one small room, feels weird that we had such a lovely huge room, with a comfy bed and air conditioning and he had to sleep like that....

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Very good hotel, perfectly situated in Kandy (about 15 minutes walk to the Tooth Temple).
Dinner is also very good (one of the best rice & curry we had during our stay in Sri Lanka)
Staff very friendly and always available
Do not hesitate to ask for their help to plan your trip (we travelled with their driver, Praboda, and it was really perfect)

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple