“Wonderful stay!”

Ranked #90 of 406 Kandy B&B and Inns
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Wonderful stay!”
Reviewed 19 September 2013

I had a wonderful time staying at this little place which is right in the heart of Kandy town. As soon as you walk in the sounds of the busy street outside just goes silent. Great place to chill out and relax after a long day.

The rooms are beautiful and cosy. The staff are ever helpful and always smiling. It's a great in terms of location as you are in walking distance of almost everything within the city. The food is also good and this little place comes with a small museum with pictures of Kandy during colonial times which is interesting to look at.

Overall, I had a wonderful stay at this place.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Roshy21

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 25 July 2013

I had a great time in Sri Lanka. I loved the Royal Bar and Hotel! I had a charming, very comfortable and elegant room. I had a real 4 poster bed and a luxurious marbled shower and bathtub! Sooo relaxing after a day of tourist sight-seeing! The ambiance was sweet and peaceful! Great food! Nice to take a break from only curry. Everything was fresh and delicious. I really enjoyed having drinks in the garden courtyard with a nice mix of locals and foreigners. I met people from Australia, Thailnad and France so we could exchange travel info.. The staff was quite courteous and friendly. The building itself is beautiful and remodeled after a British colonial bar and hotel and looks so authentic. It has such character and charm. It was the best place I stayed in Sri Lanka. Great location too! Close to everything you would want in Kandy. Thanks for making my stay in Sri Lanka a great one!!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed 29 March 2013

We happened across the Royal Bar and Hotel's listing under restaurants in Kandy after we had already decided to stay in another hotel. We wish we had found listing prior to booking- it does NOT deserve to be buried down in the 20's on Tripadvisor.

The entire building is a restored soldier's barracks, and the upstairs is lined by pictures of Kandy and the Kandy district from the colonial period. There is a lovely courtyard with tables to sit and have a drink or eat some delicious food from the (very substantial but affordable) bar menu. The bar has a great mix of locals and tourists. This has by far the best ambiance of any place within walking distance of the Temple of the Tooth and Kandy lake- perfectly located for Kandy's sights.

The bar is wonderful, and is busy with a mix of locals and tourists throughout the evening and local and imported spirits and cold beer on tap!

The restaurant is above the bar and has a series of other more expensive food options: my wife had a Thai green tofu curry, and I had some pork fillets for entrees after sharing a fruit, cucumber, and cheese salad. All the portions were large and the prices, while higher than the bar food, were appropriate for what we ate. The waiter was very attentive and was helpful at picking out a selection of arrack along with our meal. The food was delicious. Total cost including salad, 2 entrees, and drinks : $35 USD. Service was prompt but not rushed.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jcbnc
Llandrindod Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 January 2013

If you are visting Kandy, you must visit the Royal Bar & Hotel (RBH) It is a beautifully restored building that it is so restful and pleasant to spend time in.
Everything is presented to a high standard and whether you are just having a drink, snack or main course meal, you will not be disappointed. The food is varied and is to a very high standard and the best I have had whilst in Sri Lanka.
The staff are a bunch of lovely guys and they work to a very high standard being attentive and helpful and this hasn't changed during my two month stay in Kandy & Sri Lanka.
I haven't stopped in the rooms but have had a tour and they are certainly well presented and of a very good standard.
I do not drink alcohol but they were well able to cater for my requirements and I can highly recommend the bar to anyone with confidence.
Finally, if you do visit, get a member of staff to give you a tour so that you can see all the facilities and view the museum on the first floor.
Ray

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank RaySharratt
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 27 September 2012

I did not stay in this hotel but I ate there twice while in Kandy, and I think it was the best meal I had in the city. We ordered tapas Sri Lankan style and they were all very tasty. The bar has an old style colonial feel and it was very relaxing to sit there for a few hours with some good food and beer. The service was also impeccable

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Kandy, Sri Lanka
Reviewed 16 July 2012

We regularly pop into the Royal Bar and Hotel a great place to get away from the hustle of Kandy,the drinks prices are as reasonable as anywhere else and the sevice is excellent,really cold draught lion lager is great and an ice bucket and fresh lemon with the g&t as standard ,tasty freshly cooked food on the ground floor cheap and good.Staff are always friendly and helpful.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Reviewed 1 July 2012

Its a nice place in the heart of Kandy town, but the time they take to serve is terrible. They have a very simple menu and we ordered our food by 9 p.m. We had to wait for 2 hours before a few dishes arrived. The people sitting at the table next to us got up and left because their food was taking so long. Some of the dishes that were subsequently served to us were ones we did not order - we suspect they were made for the other table... We ended up not getting most of what we ordered, despite waiting there till 11 p.m. Ironically everything we ordered was on the bill even though we didn't get half of it. We didn't pay for those we didn't order.

They are woefully inefficient and not at all geared to function as a restaurant. Although the staff were apologetic and genuinely upset, the proprieter was totally indifferent to our complaints, and was not at all concerned that it was past 11 p.m. and some of us had not yet got our food. Most places close early in Kandy and we ended up eating at KFC (the only place that was open).

Would not recommend it for meals. It is a nice setting so perhaps to catch up for a drink.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends