“A peaceful friendly spot”

Mahaweli Reach Hotel
Ranked #10 of 54 Hotels in Kandy
Tauranga, New Zealand
“A peaceful friendly spot”
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Warm welcome after a day on the road, easy check in, lovely outlook over the river.
Great pool in gorgeous setting and at least 30metres so fine for lengths.
Room 8/10 bathroom rather old fashioned with shower over bath which could be difficult if had arthritis.
Bar 8/10 relaxed overlooking the pool.
Dining 8-9/10 great presentation and food and service slightly spoiled by the relatively ease with which people could smoke at their tables. Fixed quickly and with apology from staff.
Room service10/10 quick and efficient including laundry
Gym 10/10 has all the gear
Only issue which could put some people off is that it is a little off the centre of Kandy so need car and driver

Room Tip: Ask for either river or pool views
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Rodney A, Manager at Mahaweli Reach Hotel, responded to this review, 24 May 2014
Greetings from Mahaweli Reach !

We are delighted to note that you enjoyed your stay in our Hotel. Your kind words give us great encouragement.

It will be a pleasure to have you with us again & look forward to welcoming you to Mahaweli Reach !

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed for one night and found the rooms to be clean and luxurious. The staff were very friendly and attentive. There was plenty of choice for dinner and it was presented very nicely and was very tasty. It would have been nice to stay longer to enjoy the pool!

• Stayed April 2014
Rodney A, Manager at Mahaweli Reach Hotel, responded to this review, 17 May 2014
Greetings from Mahaweli Reach !

We truly appreciate & value your comments and are very glad that you enjoyed your stay in our Hotel. Your kind words give us great encouragement.

It will be a pleasure to have you with us for a longer stay & look forward to welcoming you to Mahaweli Reach !
Reviewed 10 May 2014

We were staying in Kandy, and decided to visit this place for the afternoon and had lunch and dinner here. On first glance the place is absolutely gorgeous, a very beautiful hotel, amazing interiors, really lovely and relaxing pool area. It's quite huge! The man who greeted us was very lovely and friendly. Everyone else on the other hand..very few spoke any English, and were quite distant and unwilling to help. As the pool day was a last minute decision by my group, I had not taken any books or a swimming suit. So I asked to go to their Hotel shop to see if by any chance they would have a basic swimsuit, but it was closed. It took me a while to find someone to ask when the shop would open, and when I finally did, I had mixed responses with some saying 1pm and others saying 5pm. I thought then maybe to give up on the idea of swimming and sit by the pool and read. I asked to see if they had any books/magazines, as pretty much all hotels I have ever been to have had a bookshelf. They had no clue what I was talking about! One of the waiters brought me a menu...
After speaking to the nice man at the front desk, he kindly suggested that I could try a specific shop in town for a swimsuit and gave me directions and how long it would take. I really appreciated that advice, and wish it had come an hour or two sooner, but still, I got a swimsuit!
In terms of food - their menu at first glance looks impressive, however after looking closely there were few dishes to actually choose from! When food arrived we were disappointed to find small serving sizes, similar to an appetizer. Few of our group left satisfied, apart form the friend who ordered a lasagna! (Although for a group of girls about to sit around a pool that was probably a blessing, so no-one complained!)
At dinner time we decided to stay by the bar and order from their bar menu. I was sorely missing the familiar by this time, and so decided to go with a burger. I thought you can't really get a burger wrong, how wrong I was! When it came it looked really nice, but was probably the worst burger I have ever had in my life. It was very salty and garlicky, without a hint of meat. They may as well have forsaken the burger and made a patty out of freshly grated garlic and salt! I couldn't eat much of it, and instead filled up on the fries. At least they were nice!
There is a changing area and shower for the pool, which was basic, had no toilet paper and the soap dispenser was broken leaking something pink and grubby all over the worktop, with dried and congealed streaks down the basin. By mid-afternoon the place was filthy, with mud-puddles everywhere, and what looked like blood-stains?? on the floor. I can't believe this place rates itself as a 5* Hotel! It looks on the surface the part, but as soon as you look a bit closer you begin to see the cracks.
I was expecting a lot more from a 5* Hotel! At the time I was looking around for nice places to stay with my boyfriend when he joined me in Sri Lanka, and as I was impressed with the exterior I was going to suggest we stay here but I'm glad I spent a little bit of time here before splashing out and booking this place, as I definitely would not stay here.
On another note, they advertise a Spa, which I was expecting to have a manicure/pedicure service, however again, I was disappointed. The staff at the Spa even looked offended when I asked! Maybe they should hire someone in.

Greetings from Mahaweli Reach !

We regret that the time you spent in our Hotel did not meet your expectations however we are glad that you were pleased with certain aspects of the hotel. We appreciate your comments on areas in which we can improve our product & services as we strive to maintain high standards.

We will endeavour to create a better experience, should you decide to visit us again.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We went to this hotel for dinner randomly. It was about 5kms away from the kandy city, but not hard to find.

It is a beautiful hotel and I loved the hotel from the moment I stepped in. The front office staff was good and we were taken and handed over to the restaurant. elegant & luxury interior and you at once get in to the relaxed mode when you go to the hotel. There was a good spread for salads and desserts, though we thought that they could have had some more choices for the main as it is a leading 5star hotel in kandy. I have visited Chaaya and amaya which are the other leading star hotels & they do definitely has more choice! However, the food was tasty and we enjoyed thoroughly. Service was excellent, staff ws friendly and attentive; treat you royally.

After dinner we had a walk in the hotel and it was beautiful and huge area. It is by the mahaweli river which is the longest river in SL, and they offered boat rides too.

Cannot wait to go back to mahaweli reach again and stay for few days!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Greetings from Mahaweli Reach !

We truly appreciate & value your comments and are very glad that you enjoyed the short time you spent at our Hotel. Your kind words give us great encouragement.

It will be a pleasure to have you with us & we look forward to welcoming you to Mahaweli Reach.
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 2 May 2014

The hotel is beautiful and very "colonial" the rooms very large and spacious and well equipped. The grounds and pool facilities also beautiful. Dining was good with a good choice of food, the fresh cooked desserts of banana fritters or caramelised bananas were divine!
A few improvements would make this hotel perfect, - service was a little lacklustre and slow, there seemed to be confusion over where beverages and services I.e. laundry could be signed to the room account, on several occasions we were asked to pay upfront in cash - after several complaints and an apology from the manager we were allowed to sign things to the room.
The bathroom ventilation window could not be closed, which allowed insects to fly in,and one other minor complaint we were charged for an item that we did not have from the mini bar ( it was not there in the first place) but it was just easier to pay for it than to try and make the staff understand that we didn't actually have it.
All in all we did enjoy staying at this hotel and would stay again once staff have been fully trained.

Greetings from Mahaweli Reach !

We truly appreciate & value your comments and are very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Your kind words give us great encouragement.

We are also grateful to you for highlighting areas in which we can improve our product & services as we endeavor to maintain the highest standards

Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 2 May 2014

i have spent i this hotel 2x 1 night during visit of Kandy, and can just reccomend, exelent food, quick and good, helpful reception, beautiful pool and clena and spacious rooms. It is located about 10 mins by tuck tuck far from city centre.

1 Thank 114Michal

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 April 2014

This is a relaxing hotel, we enjoyed the large pool, the service was good in the restaurant, the buffets were different on the two evenings and we enjoyed eating outside.The location was very good for local sight seeing. Check out was good as we paid as we went along,except our driver was asked not to leave until our room was checked.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank B C
Greetings from Mahaweli Reach !

We truly appreciate your comments and are very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Your kind words give us great encouragement.

We are also grateful to you for highlighting areas in which we can improve our services as we endeavor to maintain the highest standards

We look forward to welcoming you back to Mahaweli Reach.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kandy
Cinnamon Citadel Kandy
#1 of 1 in Hantana
Clove Villa
Clove Villa
#2 of 54 in Kandy

Been to Mahaweli Reach Hotel? Share your experiences!