“Excellent place to stay with great facilities”

Mahaweli Reach Hotel
Ranked #10 of 53 Hotels in Kandy
Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Excellent place to stay with great facilities”
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Great location, pool, gym, outdoor sports. My concern was that they had construction on and despite we having a baby along they gave it to us. The construction would start early morning and annoy us.
If you go please check and choose a room far from construction place. But otherwise all in all a thumbsup for the place.

• Stayed May 2014
Rodney A, Manager at Mahaweli Reach Hotel, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Greetings from MahaweliReach !

We truly appreciate & value your comments and are very glad that you enjoyed your stay in our Hotel. Your kind words give us great encouragement.

We regret the disturbances that you experienced due to the refurbishing process

It will be a pleasure to have you with us again & look forward to welcoming you to Mahaweli Reach !

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Nice enough place but the service was well below expectations. Check in was very slow. A second night had also been booked over the phone (silly me). What seemed like a simple process took over half and hour to sort out. I felt like I was pressured into paying the entire bill upfront. After check in we meet in the bar. Our first drink took over 15 minutes to come despite the bar being empty. Helpfully the barman had warmed it to room temperature for me but still refused to let me carry it myself. Because it took so long we decided to try our luck with buffet dinner. The food was good with lots of choice. At the end we asked for the bill and after waiting 10 minutes (my wife was feeling ill) we decided to leave. I went back to the bar and my wife to bed. At 10pm they decided to knock continuously on our door to get the bill signed - this could surely have waited until the next day, or they could have found me in the bar. Before dinner I had also inquired about the river boat tour for my parents. Both men behind the counter ensured me that it would have a a guide who spoke English to speak about the wildlife. The next day the boat was not ready and the guide spoke absolutely no English - not that helpful when you want to know the names of all the new stuff you are seeing. The boat also had no canopy to shield my parents from the hot sun. At 11am I returned to the room to find the power had been switched off in the entire hotel. Calling reception I was informed it would be off until 4pm. I went to see the manager who then accused us of not reading the letter that everyone had received (apart from my parents and I ). Three times we were basically accused of lying about the letter. At 12pm a young boy who spoke no English was sent up to our room to give us the letter, for what reason I don't know as we already knew the power was off. Later the manager admitted that no letter had been sent and that she would send a fruit basket and some chocolates to say sorry. The chocolate never arrived but I did receive an apple, an orange and a rock hard passion-fruit - we should have been told this the night before at check in as they knew my wife was returning Colombo and needed to shower and get ready during the day. As I said above I thought the food at the buffet was good. Breakfast had plenty of options and both breakfast and dinner changed enough each day to keep it appetizing. The room was also nice enough (closer to 4 star than 5) however the minibar was massively overpriced and obviously hadn't been changed for ages. The chocolate had been melted and squeezed between someones fingers and the liquor was so old it was growing mold. Overall, I would not stay at this hotel again. Many times we were made to feel like we were not that welcome and were a burden on the staff. There are better Hotels in Kandy for a similar or lower price. These guys need to train there staff up to an international standard if they want to charge international prices.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lankakiwi
• Greetings from MahaweliReach !

• We regret that your stay with us did not meet your expectations however we are glad that you were pleased with certain aspects of the hotel. We appreciate your comments on areas in which we can improve our product & services as we strive to maintain high standards.

• We will endeavour to create a better experience, should you decide to visit us again.
Switzerland
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

We visited Kandy with our two four-year old daughters off-season in May. We were treated and welcomed warmly, the room was large and nice, the pool was splendid (and much appreciated by the girls). Everything was super-clean and very inviting. We would go back there any time to spend more time in Kandy.
There are only two reasons why I did not give the hotel the full five stars:
1) service in the restaurant is slow and often incomplete: At several occasions, items we ordered were not delivered or too late. Waiting for a restaurant bill to be signed with two tired children does feel endless if everyone has to go and have the item list printed from - what seems - the only matrix printer available in the hotel.
2) transportation services offered by the hotel are safe and luxurious, but IMHO too expensive compared to offerings of competing transport providers.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Greetings from MahaweliReach !

We value your comments on areas in which we can improve our product & services as we strive to maintain high standards.

It will be a pleasure to have you with us for a longer stay & look forward to welcoming you to Mahaweli Reach !
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 24 May 2014

The resort is nicely built with good staff and service but the location of the resort is quite weird (the way of resort is from between the house lanes. The resort is in infact on the riverside but inside town area which is not so good location.

All the five star facilities are there and the rooms are big and spacious with nice balcony space.

As we visited this place in may 2014 so hot weather might be a factor for our bad experience but there is nothing great sort for this whole experience.

There was some construction noise in the morning which disturbed our sleep which was quite weird for a resort that too at 8:30 am in the morning which is not a good time to wake up tourists coming for a relaxed time at the resort.

Room Tip: Try to get room in the main building instead of extension building.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Greetings from MahaweliReach !

We regret the disturbances that you experienced due to the refurbishing process but will endeavour to create a better experience, should you decide to visit us again & look forward to welcoming you to Mahaweli Reach !
Tauranga, New Zealand
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Warm welcome after a day on the road, easy check in, lovely outlook over the river.
Great pool in gorgeous setting and at least 30metres so fine for lengths.
Room 8/10 bathroom rather old fashioned with shower over bath which could be difficult if had arthritis.
Bar 8/10 relaxed overlooking the pool.
Dining 8-9/10 great presentation and food and service slightly spoiled by the relatively ease with which people could smoke at their tables. Fixed quickly and with apology from staff.
Room service10/10 quick and efficient including laundry
Gym 10/10 has all the gear
Only issue which could put some people off is that it is a little off the centre of Kandy so need car and driver

Room Tip: Ask for either river or pool views
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Rodney A, Manager at Mahaweli Reach Hotel, responded to this review, 24 May 2014
Greetings from Mahaweli Reach !

We are delighted to note that you enjoyed your stay in our Hotel. Your kind words give us great encouragement.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed for one night and found the rooms to be clean and luxurious. The staff were very friendly and attentive. There was plenty of choice for dinner and it was presented very nicely and was very tasty. It would have been nice to stay longer to enjoy the pool!

• Stayed April 2014
Rodney A, Manager at Mahaweli Reach Hotel, responded to this review, 17 May 2014

Reviewed 10 May 2014

We were staying in Kandy, and decided to visit this place for the afternoon and had lunch and dinner here. On first glance the place is absolutely gorgeous, a very beautiful hotel, amazing interiors, really lovely and relaxing pool area. It's quite huge! The man who greeted us was very lovely and friendly. Everyone else on the other hand..very few spoke any English, and were quite distant and unwilling to help. As the pool day was a last minute decision by my group, I had not taken any books or a swimming suit. So I asked to go to their Hotel shop to see if by any chance they would have a basic swimsuit, but it was closed. It took me a while to find someone to ask when the shop would open, and when I finally did, I had mixed responses with some saying 1pm and others saying 5pm. I thought then maybe to give up on the idea of swimming and sit by the pool and read. I asked to see if they had any books/magazines, as pretty much all hotels I have ever been to have had a bookshelf. They had no clue what I was talking about! One of the waiters brought me a menu...
After speaking to the nice man at the front desk, he kindly suggested that I could try a specific shop in town for a swimsuit and gave me directions and how long it would take. I really appreciated that advice, and wish it had come an hour or two sooner, but still, I got a swimsuit!
In terms of food - their menu at first glance looks impressive, however after looking closely there were few dishes to actually choose from! When food arrived we were disappointed to find small serving sizes, similar to an appetizer. Few of our group left satisfied, apart form the friend who ordered a lasagna! (Although for a group of girls about to sit around a pool that was probably a blessing, so no-one complained!)
At dinner time we decided to stay by the bar and order from their bar menu. I was sorely missing the familiar by this time, and so decided to go with a burger. I thought you can't really get a burger wrong, how wrong I was! When it came it looked really nice, but was probably the worst burger I have ever had in my life. It was very salty and garlicky, without a hint of meat. They may as well have forsaken the burger and made a patty out of freshly grated garlic and salt! I couldn't eat much of it, and instead filled up on the fries. At least they were nice!
There is a changing area and shower for the pool, which was basic, had no toilet paper and the soap dispenser was broken leaking something pink and grubby all over the worktop, with dried and congealed streaks down the basin. By mid-afternoon the place was filthy, with mud-puddles everywhere, and what looked like blood-stains?? on the floor. I can't believe this place rates itself as a 5* Hotel! It looks on the surface the part, but as soon as you look a bit closer you begin to see the cracks.
I was expecting a lot more from a 5* Hotel! At the time I was looking around for nice places to stay with my boyfriend when he joined me in Sri Lanka, and as I was impressed with the exterior I was going to suggest we stay here but I'm glad I spent a little bit of time here before splashing out and booking this place, as I definitely would not stay here.
On another note, they advertise a Spa, which I was expecting to have a manicure/pedicure service, however again, I was disappointed. The staff at the Spa even looked offended when I asked! Maybe they should hire someone in.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Greetings from Mahaweli Reach !

We regret that the time you spent in our Hotel did not meet your expectations however we are glad that you were pleased with certain aspects of the hotel. We appreciate your comments on areas in which we can improve our product & services as we strive to maintain high standards.