After staying here for two nights at the beginning of February I have to say that I cannot understand the glowing reviews it gets on TripAdvisor. The owner and his wife were away at the time of our stay but I do not think that this should be used as an excuse for what I thought was a very unsatisfactory stay.
On the positive side, Sweet cinnamon is a very nice guesthouse with clean and comfortable rooms. Also, it is in a quiet and peaceful location away from the hustle and bustle of the centre of Kandy.
1. Contrary to what it says on the Booking.com web page, Sweet Cinnamon does not have a restaurant. They serve dinner on request.
2. The dinner we ordered was very poor and over priced. We were not offered any choice and got a very basic one course meal of curry and rice for which we were charged $10 per person. I asked if there was any dessert and was told that they only had ice cream - for which I was charged an extra $3 I was charged a further $2 for a cup of tea. That come to nearly 2,000 Sri Lankan Rupees which made it both the most expensive and the worst meal I had throughout my 2 weeks in Sri Lanka!
3.For Breakfast we got cold waffles, cold fried egg and cold fried sausages. It was the worst breakfast we had during our stay in Sri Lanka
4. The accommodation Sweet cinnamon suggested for our driver was awful. (He told us that the place rented rooms by the hour!)
4. The staff could speak hardly any English
5.Rooms were only made up 'on request'
6.Before travelling I received confirmation that I could settle my bill by MasterCard. However, on the morning of my departure, I was told that I had to pay in cash. The result was that I had to make an unscheduled trip into Kandy to find an ATM.
7.We paid $105 a night for a room in Sweet Cinnamon which made it the most expensive of the four guesthouses we stayed at during our 2 week stay. Overall,it was the worst and I think it was very overpriced.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We are a Boutique Hotel featuring 6 elegant guest rooms and suites. Situated within the city limits of the historic Kandy Town and set amongst lushly planted gardens and a private natural forest,Sweet Cinnamon is an ideal location for corporate and leisure guests.At sweet Cinnamon its all about you. You can start the day by having a relaxing read of the daily newspaper while enjoying a freshly brewed cup of aromatic Sri Lankan tea followed by a hearty breakfast. .Take relaxing stroll in the garden or enjoy your music via the iPod docking station in your room. If you like bird watching you are sure to be amazed by the variety. We still are.We also have a extensive collection of spices, from the world famous Ceylon Cinnamon to nutmeg.Take care of your body and spirit indulge in a rejuvenating massage at the Ayurvedic Spa or visit the Yoga and Meditation center. A treat sure to de-stress and recharge you. As evening tea time rolls by soak in the tranquility of nature while enjoying a complimentary freshly baked Signature Cinnamon roll with a pot of tea in our well-appointed lounge with garden views.. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Evoline ltd and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Sweet Cinnamon reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.