“Very interesting and helpful”

New Ranweli Spice Garden
Private Kandy Tour
Ranked #24 of 77 things to do in Kandy
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: New Ranweli Spice Garden is located in close proximity to Peradeniya Royal Botanical Garden ( Walking distance from the suspension bridge of peradeniya botanical garden)
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Very interesting and helpful”
Reviewed 5 November 2013

My local tour guide, Hemantha, brought me to the Ranwell Spice Garden. I hadn't heard of it and I wouldn't have gone myself - I was even a little dubious when I got there. However, I was very pleasantly surprised. I got a great tour by a young gentleman - really informative and quite fun. I kept guessing the spices wrong but he was really nice and pointed out many more uses for each item than I knew (Tumeric is good as a cleaning product? Sandalwood whitens the skin etc). I was really interested in all the products that they offered at the end and I do think the actual spices were good value given that they are pure and produced onsite but the oils etc were quite expensive. In the end I bought two spices (spent approx LKR1000 which isn't much in the scheme of things). I would definitely recommend this place, particularly if you are interested in plants or cooking.

Visited November 2013

69 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 85 helpful votes
“just a tourist stop”
Reviewed 28 October 2013

I would have wanted to see more of the plants etc. We skipped lots of boards and when you ask they just quickely say the name and that is it. Then you get the workshop... And they say several rimes the massage is free. but who will walk without tipping, so yes, you pay. I was with locals, and thay say that for the locals behind the tourists back they give it for halfprice, but the tourist board has fixed the prices. I couldnt afford anything. I just bought curry powder.

Kent
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Aromatic time to be had by all who visit”
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Had a wonderful couple of hours learning all about the alternative uses of herbs and spices in well being. Had a fab facial massage

Astana, Kazakhstan
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 96 helpful votes
“The equivalent of a timeshare selling effort”
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Pretty much all Spice Gardens (and there is quite a few of them, especially on the road between Kandy and Sigirya) seem to operate along the same lines: a quick / hasty visit of the gardens, followed by some "workshop" to demonstrate the virtues of their Ayurvedic gear and finally the mandatory visit of the shop where they'll make sure you buy some of their their grossly overpriced merchandise, i.e. not the cooking spices that are too cheap but the Ayurvedic rubs, ointments and else. They might also throw in a "free" massage at the end of which you'll be reminded not to forget to tip the guy who delivered it + the guy who gave the visit + pretty much half of the staff on deck. My advice, just STAY AWAY from any and all of them, especially if they are commended by you car or tuk-tuk driver (who will get commisioned wherever he takes you)

Newbury, United Kingdom
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Interesting tour”
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Although very touristy we find this very interesting. A bit of explanation and trials of different products for about 40 mins. You could then sample some tea and a head massage if you wanted - we didn't have head massage but others there said very good.
There is of course a shop on way out to buy products. It is expensive but didn't feel we had to buy anything.

Visited September 2013