“Out of town, nice view, good food, but...”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kandy
Ancient Lanka Hotel Kandy
Ranked #307 of 470 Kandy B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Stayed for two nights, and I was taken here by the driver who I arranged the tour with.
Other places I stayed in Sri Lanka were a bit tatty, so when I arrived here, it looked nice, organised, spacious and clean, with a pool table - wow entertainment!

Bath tub was a big plus for me, being a Japanese.

Food was also positive. The chef here has experience of studying at a hotel school, and was quite flexible when ordering food in terms of arranging to your taste.
Breakfast is enjoyed on a patio like cafeteria upstairs which has a nice view of the mountains.

There are three points I would like to point out which could be improved.
1. I found the rooms dark. It could be lightened up a bit, at least so one can read.
2. The bed was moist. It was a heavily rainy day and some windows were open. However, it is not nice to sit on a moist bed.
3. Severely under resourced. Everything took a long time, especially in the morning when checking out. It took at least 5 minutes for the bill to arrive and another five minutes for the change because the poor guy has to cook the breakfast, serve them to the guests, and deal with me at the same time!
4. Get changed! I stayed here for two nights, and since the first day until the last day, the chef was wearing the same purple polo shirt and the same pair of shorts. It makes me wonder if he is cleaning himself.

Other than the above, OK.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank carioca500
Dauglas S, Manager at Ancient Lanka Hotel Kandy, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2013

Thank you for your review and we are glad you enjoyed your stay at Ancient Lanka. I will have a meeting with the staff and raise these comments for training purposes. Kind Regards Ancient Lanka team

Reviewed 18 October 2013

We tried to stay for a night there but we couldn't. Remote, the bathroom was terrible and the bed with bed bugs. We complained and showed us two more rooms even worse. People were sleeping with the door open, half naked walking around. First time we scared in SL. We left in the middle of the night without paying of course. Spend your money somewhere else.There many desent hotels around.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank elitsa83

Thank you for your review, I regret that I was out of town during your stay. Obviously we do not condone unruly behaviour from other tourist guests, our customer safety is paramount. Our beds have new sprung mattresses and to my knowledge we have never had an incident of bed bugs which would be dealt with very seriously

Reviewed 30 September 2013

My driver knew this hotel so brought me into it. Once i entered the hotet the staff welcomed me nicely and they gave me one of the best rooms in the hotel. I used tge swimming pool too and i liked the view from there at sun set, it was amazingly charming. I recommand it.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 28 August 2013

I visit Kandy often and at the begining of August I was recommended to stay at Ancient Lanka by a friend. A new manager has taken over the hotel in March 2013 and like all things in Sri Lanka it takes time to sort out old issues.

I found the rooms to be clean and extremely comfortable with large sprung mattresses and quality cotton sheets. The bathrooms as well are well maintained and the pool is a welcome addition.

The accomodation is a short tuk tuk journey located in the beautiful Aniwaththa district, sure you can't just stroll into town but you do have amazing views over the city and it offers a romantic feel when you dine on the balcony.

We enjoyed a rice and curry dinner which was superb and breakfast was plentiful in fact far better then I have had elsewhere in my travels in Sri Lanka.

The staff could do with improving their English but service comes with a smile perhaps a bit slowly.

Give the new manager a chance to prove he has made a transformation

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dauglas S, Manager at Ancient Lanka Hotel Kandy, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2013

Thank you for your review I try and do daily training with the staff and encourage them to practice and improve their english

Reviewed 11 August 2013

Stayed in October 2012 for a night.
Booked this through a travel agent in Colombo and cursed him for the recommendation.
The location is remote and inaccessible. Our driver Had to make numerous phone calls to trace the place. Its located in the midst of a residential area and far away from market, tourist attractions and the main city. The approach road is poor and road has an inclination of almost 45 Degrees. Its a hike to get into the hotel.
Lobby is average. Rooms too small but clean. Breakfast was included as a part of the room rent and had to wait for a long time for second serving of bread.
Over all to be avoided.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review a year after your stay. I am pleased to inform you that Ancient Lanka has been taken over by new management since March 2013 and custom service as well as renovation has been our main aim. All rooms have king size beds unfortunately in 2 of our rooms this will be why the room feels smaller however not cluttered.

Reviewed 7 July 2013 via mobile

It's pretty fascinating how dirty a hotel can become.

The walls, the tables, the floors. Just good old dirty.

The staff is friendly and hospitality is ok, but the hotel is a wore down, dirty tragedy.

Breakfast is extremely poor, while the curry they serve for dinner is actually not that bad.

Would never have stayed in this hotel of it wasn't a part of the "package" from Rail Tours.

• Stayed: July 2013

Thank you for your review we serve a full breakfast of fresh fruit, eggs, toast with juice, tea & coffee as well on request we can serve pancakes or coconut roti.

Reviewed 15 May 2013

Arrived here at night and the first 10 minutes the impression was great; location, lighting, pool, layout. Till you see the rooms and check the details. The rooms are just dirty. I mean, really dirty. great, dust and dirt has been accumulating for such a long period of time, that it can't be easily cleaned anymore. Loose vinyl sheets of different types and colors cover each other on the floor, you wouldn't want to see what's below them. The pool is dysfunctional, the pump room is a mess, disinfection is non existent or erratic. Nobody ventures in there. Food is basic and plain, takes ages to prepare (about an hour for a simple dish) and one need to remind the 'waiters' (pun intended) to come over. They are nice kids, but total amateurs. This is without doubt the worse place we've stayed in Sri Lanka. With a good makeover and proper management, it could turn into a nice place. Till that happens, stay away.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family

Dear Sir,
Thank you for your review we are pleased to imform you that there has been a management chage since March 2013 and we are busy transforming the hotel.