“Excellent value for money in peaceful location”

Settle Inn Tourist Lodge
Ranked #24 of 321 Speciality Lodging in Kandy
Sheffield, Yorkshire, England
“Excellent value for money in peaceful location”
Reviewed 24 April 2013

I stayed at the "Settle Inn" for three nights in early April 2013. I was allocated Room 1 adjacent to the entrance lobby area. The room was clean with a functioning shower/toilet area, aircon, fan and even a flat screen TV. However, compared with some of the other rooms at the rear of the property my room was a little cramped and had opaque windows. It was perfectly okay but it wasn't the best room - a little claustrophobic.

Breakfasts were typically Sri Lankan - fresh fruit, eggs any which way, toast, jam and tea. A perfect start to the day. I found the staff here, pleasant and cheerful and it was good to see the owner fumigating the garden borders each morning to suppress mosquitoes.

The little hotel is at the eastern end of Kandy Lake and a fifteen minute walk from the famous Queen's Hotel, passing the Kandy Arts Centre and the Sacred Temple of the Tooth. The Kandy Arts Centre is worth visiting both for the fairly priced handicraft goods and the early evening traditional dance spectacular (500 rupees a ticket). I also enjoyed a couple of visits to the Royal Bar and Hotel on King Street - a beautifully refurbished relic of colonial times. And I went swimming at Hotel Suisse on the south side of the lake - 500 rupees at reception.

I thought that "Settle Inn" represented excellent value for money and I would happily stay there again though I would like to be given the opportunity to pick my own room next time.

Room Tip: If the hotel isn't full, ask if you can see which rooms are available before choosing.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 23 April 2013 via mobile

I stopped here after Adams peak, before travelling back to Colombo. I had stayed in another nice place in Kandy before so was apprehensive about this new place. The hotel is near the lake so it osnt far to walk to the town to get aomethig to eat. The staff were friendly enough and arranged my early morning tuk tuk to get a train. I was in a hut outside which didn't look much from the outside but was clean, stylish, and even had a flat screen tv which was the first time is ha a tv in my room in Sri Lanka Haha. Comfortable nights sleep, just wish i could of stayed longer.

• Stayed March 2013
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 12 April 2013

this hotel is absolutely lovely- it offers super rooms with cable TV around a cute little courtyard. It's very quiet at night and is the perfect place to relax after a hard days sightseeing in Kandy. The only downside is that to get to other restaurants at night you have to walk down the side of a dark road with no pavement so a tuk tuk is advised! It is within walking distance of the lake and tuk tuks regularly come past.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 27 March 2013

The rooms are very nice except for the very flimsy blanket which looked like a table cloth. The breakfast was decent and the mother of the owner was friendly. One of the staff who was there during our one night stay was a little mediocre in helping us find a taxi though. She said she'll call the manager and we waited for hours. Finally, my husband talked to the mother of the owner to call her son (the manager) to see if they could book us a taxi from Kandy to Ella. Now they said taxi would cost us 13,000 LKR (around $108 USD) for non-airconditioned car and 16,000 LKR for airconditioned car (around $130) which is really, really ridiculous. It didn't even include any tour. We were wondering why they would put a sign that says 35 LKR/km. They said it's old info and they just forgot to take it down. My husband insisted to get the Nano Taxi advertised for 4000 LKR to Nuwara Eliya. In the end, we ended up paying 6,600 (and tipped the driver 1,900 LKR for his honesty and good service) from Kandy to Nuwara Eliya, a lot cheaper than what they quoted us! I suggest book your tour elsewhere. The hotel is a rip off when it comes to arranging a taxi service. Also the staff had to turn off the wifi because of the thunder and lightning which we understood but forgot to turn it back on. We had to approach the staff several times and they don't seem to care so again, we approached the mother of the owner to turn in back on.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 25 March 2013

Considering the room rates, I was extremely impressed with the Settle Inn in Kandy. I spent quite a bit of time researching hotels in the area and I took a chance with this one, which was a good move. The reason that most of the nicer hotels are NOT in the town center is that the town center is the least charming part of Kandy, so being a 10-minute stroll along the lake away is ideal. Most places are farther.

My only complaint is that the bed is just okay and you only get a thin top sheet. Aside from that the place feels like a fancy boutique hotel. It's spotless and comfortable and even stylish. The included breakfast is quite good, with fresh fruit, a fried egg, toast and jelly with coffee or tea.

Both the manager and his mother were very helpful, with good advice on attractions and restaurants and such, so I'm not sure why the previous review had such an ax to grind. The tuk-tuk driver they recommend gave me a great tour of the area for the same price they all charge, and others at the hotel also seemed happy with him. Every driver in town wants to take you on a tour, but this guy you can trust because the hotel also has their reputation on the line.

Also, there's a flat-screen TV with quite a few satellite channels in each room, even though the official website doesn't mention that yet. My favorite thing was the wi-fi, which is super fast (feels like 8Mbps), although it's shut off from about 22:30 to 7:30 for some reason.

I like a beer or three in the evening, so I was pleased to discover that there's a big restaurant with a full (and cheap) bar at the hotel right next door. Alcohol can be challenging to find in Sri Lanka, so this is another plus.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
Antwerp, Belgium
Reviewed 11 March 2013

We stayed 2 nights here. At first everything was looking fine, but when we asked the manager to make a phone call to make a reservation for our next hotel he refused to do that. He said he had no mobile phone !?! But when you ask to make a call for a tuk tuk then suddenly he has a phone. And it was expensive tuk tuk, because the manager ask his commision.
Later that day the toilet was broking in our bathroom. It didn't flush. So we ask the manager again for help. Again he refused to help! I insistid to come and have a look. That was something i better didn't do! After his help our bathroom was totally flooded! And his reaction to that..... he was laughing and left the room!!! We had to clean everything ourselves! Now help at all! They didn't even cleaned our room the day after!!
So my advice is to book another hotel! Choice enough in Kandy!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Ester V
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 23 February 2013

The Settle Inn is a smallish guest house right in the centre of Kandy near the lake and the Temple of the Golden Tooth so you can walk to all the sights. The rooms are small and clean with AC and there is even a hairdrier in the bathroom. Breakfast is served a a large table in the garden where one can chat to other guests and exchange travel tips if necessary.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple