“Great value stay in Kandy”

Settle Inn Tourist Lodge
Ranked #25 of 307 Speciality Lodging in Kandy
“Great value stay in Kandy”
Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed in this quiet gueshouse for 3 nights while in Kandy and we found it to be money well spent.

A 10 min walk (a really beautiful one) from the town center this place offers spacious rooms with fan/AC and a very helpful staff.

We had a leak in our room the first night and on notice the manager got us a new one, instantly.

Rooms are clean, beds are big, there's mosquito nets and the breakfast was one of the better continentals we came across in Sri Lanka.

and the price was great.

For those of you who needs a negative: we spotted ants in the backyard.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank thomasop

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Schwabisch Hall, Germany
Reviewed 18 January 2014

The hotel is not far from the city and the tooth temple so you can walk there in about 20 minutes (city) and 15 minutes (temple). Our room was in the ground floor and we had a window in the direction of the inner courtyard where the breakfast was served. So it was quite noisy in the morning. Furthermore the house was clairaudient. When someone talked in the floor it was like they standing next to us.
The room was clean but the bathroom had the typical smell of air freshener and there wasn`t any chance to get this smell out of the room. Also our toilet water tank leaked a little bit but that wasn`t so worse. The bedroom was all right and we had there everything we needed.
The owner was very friendly and helpful to us.
The breakfast was nothing special but ok.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KiKaQua
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 17 January 2014

The place is about 20 mins walk from the main bus station, so definitely a tuk tuk ride if you have luggage. But once you're bag-free it is only some 10 mins to the Temple of the tooth, so quite convenient. Do take a flashlight though if you're coming back in the dark - not much lighting on the road up to the hotel.
The rooms are clean and spacious, what I appreciated in the bathroom was an actual shower cubicle so it is divided from the rest of the bathroom (not common at all in Sri Lanka - usually the shower hangs above the toilet somewhere so the bathroom floor is flooded most of the time :)).
Do get food in town - we wanted to have dinner in the guest house but there was no staff to be found anywhere in the evening. Breakfast ok but not great.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jitka S
Cochin, Kerala, India
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Pretty decent stay. I stayed at the Hybrid home uphill in Settle Inn 2 but i think the rooms in Settle Inn 1 which is in the main building are much better.
Breakfast was simple and good.
Settle Inn 2 is well kept and clean but too small for a double bed stay.
No active housekeeping service in Settle Inn 2.
Wifi got connected but never really worked in Settle Inn 2.
All together, not the best but a decent stay in my opinion.

Room Tip: Dont go for the hybrid rooms in Settle Inn 2
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Nrh_12
Alwaye, Kerala, India
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Me and my husband stayed at Settle Inn 2, which is located a bit away from Settle Inn 1. It is walk able but an uphill climb. The rooms in Settle Inn 2 are hybrid rooms made just for a simple stay-over for the night. Staying for lengthy periods is not suggested. The rooms are small and so is the bath, Hot water is not so hot, just lukewarm. There is no room service unless you request somebody to clean up the room. Don't bother falling for the Free Wifi thing, as you cannot get any connection. Better to take a local sim and use the data. Booking cabs through the hotel personnel can be a bit costly. Better to call up a cab provider after searching the web and find a better deal. Free breakfast is provided at Settle Inn 1. That place is much homely and neat. If you plan to stay at Settle Inn, make sure that it is at Settle Inn 1, as you can enjoy your stay better there, There is good eatery called The Garden Cafe, within walk able distance from the hotel. Do try the Buryani, Stringhoppers and Devilled Chicken/Fish/etc. Overall, i would say that our stay was just OK and it is only good for a overnight stay, not longer.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Leeaquarian
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2013

An odd mix of mostly good and a little bad, this place most importantly has clean fresh rooms, good beds and hot showers with plenty of water, and good prices.

They've gone for a slightly designer look with nice internal courtyard garden around which to have breakfast and the odd 'antique' here and there.

ROOMS - I first stayed in room one at the front (complained about elsewhere). Its very small with a noisy toilet cistern that needs to be shut off after use, but otherwise fine. I switched to the larger room 4 after being joined by my friend. This is the best of the ground floor doubles as it is quiet - but oddly has the light switches in the opposite corner to the door! The other two doubles around the garden suffer from some noise from the pond electrics so not such a good option.

There are big family rooms upstairs.

The managers uncle is an old unsmiling ex army guy who can seem abrupt but does the job. Oddly, my companion was told (after a 6 day stay!) not to smoke in the room despite there being no non smoking signs anywhere.

Small quibbles aside this place is good value if you bargain or get a good internet price.

• Stayed July 2013
Lewes, Delaware
Reviewed 24 April 2013

Pleae, please do not stay here! The hotel employs a very efficient marketing firm. In reality it ruined my time in Kandy, spoiling my trip to see friends and the sights.
The rooms are tiny, airconditioning/television did not work during my stay (5 nights end Feb 2013) and the staff were very unhelpful to the point of outright rudeness.
Females, esp lone travellers such as myself, were literally treated as invisible, completely ignorned in favour of reading the paper or talking by the mainly male staff.
I had paid in advance so could not easily leave, but when I asked, politely, to change rooms to have working a/c, and a usuable bathroom -my toilet leaked continually and the shower was filthy (the place was half empty) I was shown to cheaper rooms with the same problem, and told I was 'trouble'. The leak was not fixed, and I had to buy towels to mop it every day, horrible!
The gates are locked at 10pm, and as I had gone to see friends, I had to rush back every night. I was continually asked for extra money to pay for the manager's eye operation and harrassed for tips. Breakfast is tiny, and an extra, eg another cup of coffee, is expensive.
Do not fall, as I did, for the internet hype generated by this 'hotel'-it is, I found to my cost, notorious in Kandy, there is plenty of other alternative hotels and hostels. Other guests who came during my stay left after one night, I wish I'd been able to.
I've spent the last three months in Asia, and this is by far the worst place I have stayed in, even basic hostels in India have been more welcoming. Avoid, please!

Room Tip: Garden rooms are more basic, as nothing works anyway, if you have to stay here, at least save money...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank stella b

Travellers are raving about these Kandy hotels