“Quiet, tidy place - recommended!”

Settle Inn Tourist Lodge
Ranked #32 of 370 Speciality Lodging in Kandy
Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 2 nights and didn't have anything to complain about. The place is conveniently located (LKR 300 from train station by tuk-tuk), but quiet enough to have a peaceful night. Staff was nice, room was tidy, a/c was working. Thumbs up, we'd come again.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank DadaSuzzy

Reviewed 13 February 2014

After finding really good recommendations on trip advisor I´ve called and reserved a room at Settle Inn. When I arrived I was told that all rooms are fully booked but at the Settle Inn 2, which is a bit up the hill, has still availability. Settle Inn 2 looks a bit run down but ok on the first glance, the rooms ok but nothing special. I thought quite pricey for 4500Rs but I had a 7hrs train ride behind me and was tired so I stayed. Having slept and in daylight I´ve seen how dirty (old bloodstains) is and how horrible it smells. I´ve asked for the bathroom to be cleaned but never happened. Internet didn't work either and there are also no tuktuks around, for breakfast you have go down to Settle Inn.
After speaking to some people during the day I has told that the price is ridiculous as you can actually find clean and nice rooms for 2500Rs. When I checked out the next day I wanted to discuss the price with the manager as it´s ridiculously high but he got very aggressive and told me if i don´t pay the price he´s asking for he will call the police. as they´ve scanned my passport already i had no option but to pay the price he requested.
So summarizing my experience at Settle Inn I can not recommend anybody to stay here - there are so many nice places for a lot cheaper than Settle Inn!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Mag K
uditha293962, Owner at Settle Inn Tourist Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2015

There was no Guest staying under the mentioned name on the particular date at Settle Inn Tourist Lodge 1 - No. 53, Louis Peiris Mawatha, Kandy, Sri Lanka.

Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed in this quiet gueshouse for 3 nights while in Kandy and we found it to be money well spent.

A 10 min walk (a really beautiful one) from the town center this place offers spacious rooms with fan/AC and a very helpful staff.

We had a leak in our room the first night and on notice the manager got us a new one, instantly.

Rooms are clean, beds are big, there's mosquito nets and the breakfast was one of the better continentals we came across in Sri Lanka.

and the price was great.

For those of you who needs a negative: we spotted ants in the backyard.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank thomasop
Reviewed 18 January 2014

The hotel is not far from the city and the tooth temple so you can walk there in about 20 minutes (city) and 15 minutes (temple). Our room was in the ground floor and we had a window in the direction of the inner courtyard where the breakfast was served. So it was quite noisy in the morning. Furthermore the house was clairaudient. When someone talked in the floor it was like they standing next to us.
The room was clean but the bathroom had the typical smell of air freshener and there wasn`t any chance to get this smell out of the room. Also our toilet water tank leaked a little bit but that wasn`t so worse. The bedroom was all right and we had there everything we needed.
The owner was very friendly and helpful to us.
The breakfast was nothing special but ok.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KiKaQua
Reviewed 17 January 2014

The place is about 20 mins walk from the main bus station, so definitely a tuk tuk ride if you have luggage. But once you're bag-free it is only some 10 mins to the Temple of the tooth, so quite convenient. Do take a flashlight though if you're coming back in the dark - not much lighting on the road up to the hotel.
The rooms are clean and spacious, what I appreciated in the bathroom was an actual shower cubicle so it is divided from the rest of the bathroom (not common at all in Sri Lanka - usually the shower hangs above the toilet somewhere so the bathroom floor is flooded most of the time :)).
Do get food in town - we wanted to have dinner in the guest house but there was no staff to be found anywhere in the evening. Breakfast ok but not great.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jitka S
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Pretty decent stay. I stayed at the Hybrid home uphill in Settle Inn 2 but i think the rooms in Settle Inn 1 which is in the main building are much better.
Breakfast was simple and good.
Settle Inn 2 is well kept and clean but too small for a double bed stay.
No active housekeeping service in Settle Inn 2.
Wifi got connected but never really worked in Settle Inn 2.
All together, not the best but a decent stay in my opinion.

Room Tip: Dont go for the hybrid rooms in Settle Inn 2
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Nrh_12
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Me and my husband stayed at Settle Inn 2, which is located a bit away from Settle Inn 1. It is walk able but an uphill climb. The rooms in Settle Inn 2 are hybrid rooms made just for a simple stay-over for the night. Staying for lengthy periods is not suggested. The rooms are small and so is the bath, Hot water is not so hot, just lukewarm. There is no room service unless you request somebody to clean up the room. Don't bother falling for the Free Wifi thing, as you cannot get any connection. Better to take a local sim and use the data. Booking cabs through the hotel personnel can be a bit costly. Better to call up a cab provider after searching the web and find a better deal. Free breakfast is provided at Settle Inn 1. That place is much homely and neat. If you plan to stay at Settle Inn, make sure that it is at Settle Inn 1, as you can enjoy your stay better there, There is good eatery called The Garden Cafe, within walk able distance from the hotel. Do try the Buryani, Stringhoppers and Devilled Chicken/Fish/etc. Overall, i would say that our stay was just OK and it is only good for a overnight stay, not longer.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple