“Friendly homestay”

Ranked #3 of 433 Kandy B&B and Inns
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Friendly homestay”
Reviewed 23 November 2013

High up on the hills,away from the traffic of Kandy, this place has an excellent location up in the forest, with great views and lots of birds. Mr, Ananda, his wife and son are great hosts and nothing is too much trouble to them. Trishaws easy to arrange down to the town @ 300 LKR (Nov 2013).

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank JoNomad

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Paris, France
Reviewed 23 November 2013

The most cherished guesthouse of our honeymoon trip! The perfect mix with warm and welcoming people, most helpful (they went with us to help us choose and negociate saris in the city and adviced film at the cinema), and a dizzying situation.
It is a quiet resting place perched within the jungle not 15 minutes away from the Kandy dynamism, you may have a walk around in the wild or just observe it from your seat. Our room was well equipped, clean and marvelously comfortable, and dinners were a great time.
The quality of life here is clearly one or two steps ahead the very reasonable budget : a jewel we adviced to try to every people we met afterwards : Keep on !

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PS_SriLanka
Lviv, Ukraine
Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

It was our first place to stay during our two week trip and it turned out great! The hosts are very friendly and willing to help you with everything. In addition, you could taste wonderful Sti Lankan cuisine here. I highly recommend HHR, I'm sure you won't regret staying there.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
london
Reviewed 11 November 2013

This was a wonderful place to stay. The family were really friendly and gave lots of great advice. Ananda and all of his family are great hosts. An absolute haven up the hill from the hustle and bustle of kandy. And the food was the best we had in all of Sri Lanka. I'd recommend this place to anyone and everyone!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank kimnchris
Kashmir, India
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Mr. Ananda and his family were very hospitable during my stay in HHR. The whole family including their dog and my favorite cat, Puss, that slept in my bed one night was very genuine in their desire to welcome guests. It's one big house where you live with the family and prepare meals for you. The beds were very comfortable and homey as I stayed at the ground floor with shared baths. I was connected throughout the house and we got free water as we ate. The balcony at the right wing overlooked the jungle where I heard birds and some animals in the morning and evening. I usually wake up early so I took a hike up to the water tank where you can see Kandy town, the forest that surround Hantana and some plantations on the right.

Some people pay much just to get the "local experience" but in HHR I got it (for only about $15/ night) and had fun with a friend, Susanna, who I met there . There was a common dining area where I shared some meals and beers with some other guests.

The house was quite a trip from downtown but you could ask Mr. Ananda to write the address or instructions in Sri Lankan .I didn't really wanna stay downtown with all the touts and the business going on there so it was perfect for the evenings where I wanted to just chill and relax and talk to the family.

HHR also helped us organize a Knuckles Range hike so they made me very happy since Knuckles was my utmost priority. Plus I got a bargain on a really nice batik shirt that Mrs. Jayakody made. And thanks to his second son for helping us when he saw us lost downtown looking for a place to eat Faluda. Hahaha Thanks a lot!

Room Tip: If you want peace and quiet, choose a ground floor room where it's away from the kitchen.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
india
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Amazing is the one word i would like to use to describe Hanthana Holiday Rooms!!!! We stayed here unfortunately only for two nights but they were the best two days of our trip by far.

1) Firstly Anand is a fantastic host and he along with his wife and two sons could not make us feel more at home!! A big thanks to you Anand!!!!

2) Spotless charming and comfortable is how i would describe his house. There was not a speck of dust or dirt anywhere. The rooms are exceedingly clean.

3) The food is absolutely fantastic and cooked by Anand (who specializes in salads) and his wife who should be on a cooking show. The dinners she prepared for us were authentic Srilankan fare which we enjoyed thoroughly. And were not charged much at all for.

4) If you are looking for an AMAZINGLY AFFORDABLE stay this is the place to be. When we compared the facilities to what we were being charged, this place was by far the best in Sri lanka that we found.

5) A wonderful location overlooking the hills of Kandy gave us a serene and relaxing time... the only price to pay for this serenity is the tuk tuk ride to town which takes about 15 minutes. But here also Anand helps us out with transport at a very affordable price.

6) Anand is SO HELPFUL. Takes personal interest in your travels and even takes trouble to set things up for all his guests! A big big thank you to you Anand and Family!!!

7) Lastly but not the least this is the most HOMELY COMFORTABLE FRIENDLY AFFORDABLE and WONDERFUL place to stay in Kandy. A big thumbs up to HHR and a HIGH RECOMMENDATION to anyone who is travelling to Kandy

Room Tip: The master bedroom is with a small balcony with a good view and attached toilet!! Certainly worth th...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 2,441 helpful votes
Reviewed 29 October 2013

I booked a room at Hanthana Holiday Rooms for one night at Booking.com for my trip to Kandy shortly before my flight to Sri Lanka. I did not bother to read all the reviews since it has a high rating. Although I booked other hotels online only Hanthana Holiday Rooms confirmed my reservation by e-mail and also offered some interesting information about the nearby Tea Museum. I arrived Kandy from Negombo and it was raining by the time I reached Kandy City. On the way to Hanthana Holiday Rooms we passed by tea plantations and the Tea Museum. It was some 3.5 km. ride from the main road and located on top of the hill. The owner himself welcomed me and showed me my room at the basement. The room was spacious and clean. Lots of space to move around freely. I also got a warm welcome from Cindy, the pet dog and Kitty, the cat. The bathroom was a few steps from my bedroom and there is a big reception area with comfortable sofa, dining table and wooden chairs. I was all alone at the basement so I got all the privacy I needed. I ordered food for dinner and they served delicious Sri Lankan dish. The complimentary breakfast came with coffee and fruits, toasted bread and jam. They called a reliable tuktuk driver to show me around Kandy City. For the price I paid I got excellent value for my money, a wonderful homestay experience in the company of decent and genuinely warm and friendly family who makes any guest feel at home. I strongly recommend Hanthana Holiday Rooms to all visitors coming to Kandy City.

Room Tip: The basement rooms are quiet but wi-fi is stronger and more stable in the rooms upstairs.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank pinoytraveller2
Ananda J, Owner at Hanthana Holiday Rooms, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
Hello Mr Tubiera,

Thank you for your review about our Home Stay. It was good having you and I am sure you must have felt yourself at home.

I am glad to have helped you out in every way I can after all you come to Sri Lanka to have a memorably time and I will do my best to help you with that :)

Hoping to see you if you come by Sri Lanka again.

Ananda Jayakody