“Best guest house we stayed at during our holidays!”

Hanthana Holiday Rooms
Ranked #3 of 384 Kandy B&B and Inns
“Best guest house we stayed at during our holidays!”
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

My girlfriend and I first planed to stay in this guest house 1 night. We quickly decided to stay 2 more nights!

The guest house owner is extremely friendly and helpfull. Enjoy late discussions at night with him!

Dinners were delicious and tasty! However, breakfast could be improved.

Moreover, this is our first guest house we really felt at home! And you are not considered as a "walking ATM"!

Rooms are ver clean and the entire guest house is beautiful and quiet, which is a big advantage in a noisy city like Kandy!

Choosing another place for your stay in Kandy would be a mistake!

• Stayed July 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I started my trip here in Sri Lanka. Ananda is a very friendly, helpful fellow. The house is lovely and I love the fact you can enjoy the porch, living room and gardens. This is not in the city of Kandy, but is an easy 300 rupee tuk-tuk ride from the town and it's worth the view of the forest . . . and quiet. I enjoyed my 3 nights here and would stay again :)

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Balkans_Phile
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Vety friendly & helpful family. Excellent home cooked meals. A little far from town for quick journeys or exploring. Rooms and bathroom were clean but bed was a bit uncomfortable. Beautiful settin on edge of forest reserve.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank R W
Kaiserslautern, Germany
Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

For a lot of Guesthouses you read comments like "this is the best stay we had in Sri lanka" so its hard to decide whats the best...well im gonna say the same thing right now :) we've met one of the nicest people we have ever met, had clean rooms def. No mosquitos, realy great Food. You gonna feel like home...
Some people say sri lanka is beautiful because of the people...i'm sure they met Ananda :)
Kind regards
Kevin and Meike

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank chaechtmachine
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

This is a really nice guest house which feels slightly upmarket than others. Very clean rooms, and friendly service. The food we had for dinner was delicious which a shared around the dining table with 7 other travelers. I would only recommend staying one night in kandy and definitely stay out of the city centre which makes this spot a great choice

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank markkelliher
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 12 May 2014

When you're in Kandy, do yourself a favour, spend a night or two with Hanthana Holiday Rooms (HHR). It's really an experience not to be missed as you'll be pampered by Ananda and his family's warm and sincere hospitality. Mr Ananda opened up his house to tourists not too long ago and he is already building more rooms to house more people. This is testimony to the popularity of his guesthouse. We felt at home from the moment we were welcomed by Ananda's son, Bec, to the time we left HHR.

Facilities at HHR was perfect - wifi, hot showers, balconies with good views of the mountains, clean rooms and toilets. Ananda's wife, Nimalkha, prepared a good breakfast and an even better dinner for us on both days that we were there. Dinner was a sumptuous Sri Lankan spread of rice, chicken, vegetables, potatoes and dhal. Beer is also available at HHR.

Ananda will answer any questions you have regarding travelling in Kandy and beyond. They helped us arrange for a tuk tuk driver (Terence; tel: 072 5502561) for a day trip to Elephant Freedom Project, Ceylon Tea Museum (closed on Mondays), a tea factory, a spice garden and an Ayurvedic massage. Terence has a good command of English and is genuinely interested in making sure that we enjoyed our day with him.

While some may say that the location of HHR is fairly far from Kandy town, I view this as a plus point. It feels really good returning to the peaceful HHR after a day of travelling, where piping hot dinner, clean and hot shower and a hospitable family is waiting for you. Mr Ananda and his family will gladly arrange a tuk tuk to bring you to town. From there, you can arrange a time to meet the tuk tuk driver to bring you back to HHR. A trip to town cost around 300Rs and there's many signage along the road up the hill that will direct you to HHR.

I'm glad that I stayed with Mr Ananda and his family. It's really a memorable experience.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank HaoJun
Singapore, null, Singapore
Reviewed 11 May 2014

I cannot say enough about the kindness, generosity and hospitality of Ananda and Nimalkha. As a solo female traveller on her first trip to Sri Lanka, they made my first experiences of the country truly lovely and memorable. I arrived quite late on my first evening but both Ananda and Nimalkha struck me with how they were both present at the front door to greet me and welcome me with warmth (just like relatives would!). And even though Ananda didn't have a record of my booking (thanks a lot, Agoda...:(), they quickly sorted things out so that I still got a room. They also accommodated my request to stay an extra night even if they didn't have rooms anymore and instead arranged a bed for me in Nimalkha's own room! On my first morning, Ananda was going into Kandy for errands and generously offered to let me 'tag along' so I got my first glimpse of Kandy with my own trusted guide.

Hanthana itself is a really pleasant place to stay. It sits right at the edge of the Danumdallawa (?) Forest and the first thing that impressed me upon waking up on my first morning was how QUIET and PEACEFUL it was. Hang out in their balcony and just take in the beauty and peace of nature! The rooms are simple, but clean and comfortable. Bathrooms have hot water and they provide towels for your use. And Nimalkha will bend over backwards to serve your requests for breakfast (local Sri Lankan breakfast or simple Western fare). Ananda will also happily arrange for tuktuks or drivers for you for your various tours in and around Kandy, and will even check up on you to make sure you're still safe and ok during your excursions. I really felt like I had ended up at a place run by my long-lost uncle and aunt!

But the most amazing gesture of kindness they showed me was when they allowed me to 'borrow' a blanket for my upcoming silent meditation course. Not only did they say yes but they even said I didn't need to come back after he retreat to return it (but I still did of course... if only to say goodbye as well). And on my last day in Sri Lanka, a full two weeks after I had left Hanthana, Mr Ananda even called me to say goodbye and wish me well.

If you want a place that gives you an authentic Sri Lankan kindness and hospitality experience, start off your holiday with Ananda and Nimalkha of Hanthana Holiday Rooms. It will set the tone for a truly positive and lovely holiday ahead!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank tingdiver
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kandy
Sevana City Hotel
#8 of 54 in Kandy
Earl's Regent Hotel
Earl's Regent Hotel
#9 of 54 in Kandy

Been to Hanthana Holiday Rooms? Share your experiences!