“Fairly tacky”
Review of Helga's Folly

Helga's Folly
Ranked #22 of 58 Hotels in Kandy
Reviewed 29 January 2013

It may be unusual for Sri Lanka, but this is a pretty tacky place - dodgy 1980s lurid paintwork and very expensive drinks.

We met Helga on the stairs and received a haughty glance - her acolytes were walking 2 steps behind - eugh.

Don't waste your time - get out of Kandy and get your mind blown at Sigiria and the ancient cities.

Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Roo L

Reviewed 27 January 2013

I should be posting a 5 star review of this place. And believe me, I really would like that. This small hotel should be a total delight. It is a lovely old style house which has been elevated to work of art by the visionary owner, Helga. Nothing is ordinary, dull or plain. The sense of mischievous fun with which almost every inch of wall, window and ceiling has been lovingly embellished is infectious. The bar area with its wax encrusted candelabrum is a spooky yet wonderful sight to behold.

It is a creative haven, full of colour and atmosphere. The reception area tells the fascinating family history of the amazing family who were fortunate enough to call this Kandy hill top retreat their home. It is kooky, eccentric, fun, bold, imaginative and you will wish you could peer at every one of the rooms, as each is decorated uniquely.

I loved the murals, antique furniture, colour, history and grandeur. I didn't even mind being woken up my the monkeys thundering across the roof, for all the world making me feel the ceiling would cave in any second. Yet, I cannot give it 5 stars. I note what some other reviewers say about not treating this as a hotel, but as a homestay or a stay with friends at their country estate, but this is a place charging $270 for the upper floor rooms on a bed & breakfast basis. So, I do not expect dirty towels, stained and torn mosquito nets, only one pillow each on the bed, no plug in mosquito coil device for the night time.

And I most certainly don't expect dust and dirt. Or for the staff serving breakfast to be wearing very stained and dirty uniforms.

There is also a need for some basic small maintenance on the place, there are the odd window panes which are cracked/missing, doors which don't close properly, windows which have gaps in the frames.

I note from the guest books that Helga has been suffering from chronic back pain recently, and she wasn't around when I stayed. Perhaps she is not in good enough health to keep an eye on how her hotel is being run. Please, give the place a really thorough deep clean, and fix all the little teeny tiny things which aren't working right about the place (starting with the shower pressure). Yours is a hotel which deserves to be successful, but is not being done justice.

Your staff try to be helpful, but they clearly don't understand the high standards which need to be achieved to justify such high nightly rates. For example, waiting 20 minutes or more for bar drinks to arrive is not cool or endearing. It is just inefficient. Forgetting someone's order for Sri Lankan breakfast placed the previous night is not something that should be blamed on the guest (thankfully not me). And a full English breakfast with cold sausage and the tiniest single sliver of bacon is not really on.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LondonTravelbird
Reviewed 27 January 2013

'Oh no! you booked the haunted house!" cried our Sri Lankan driver when we told him where we would be staying. We tried to joke with him but he honestly seemed distressed at the rumours he's heard.
Helga's folly is a great place to visit for a drink or possibly dinner. I think there is a small charge to look around which I'd say is worth it. Its best at night, with the lighting the interior design is amazing. But what a missed opportunity.
DO NOT STAY HERE! We booked three nights over New Year as a special treat as HB was $270 per night which is a complete racket. The guest bedrooms are a disgrace. Small rooms with tatty cheap furniture. The clapped out air co unit was so loud you couldn't sleep with it on, the bathroom basin was so loose fitted water fell straight out of the plug hole, flooding the bathroom floor making it slippy everywhere. The shower can only dribble water on you, and you wouldn't want to sit in the bath. The soles of your feet are filthy after walking around the bedroom for a short while. Our lovely Sri Lankan driver was horrified by the drivers rooms which were infested. I've done plenty of back packing in cheap affordable places across Asia but this was the worst I'd seen and unfathomably expensive, and grubby. The staff who were all very nice and amenable, were not surprised when we checked out after one night- it appears this seems to be the case with most of their guests. From what we could tell Helga's Folly isn't haunted but what a nightmare.

Room Tip: There appeared to be another room off the main dining room full of genuine antiques. If you do want...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank tealeavesandroses
Reviewed 22 January 2013

We only had dinner at Helga's Folly but it was a rewarding experience. The pre-dinner cocktail went down very well amidst the Belle Epoque/ Surreal environment of the lounge area. The 3-course meal was authentic and tasty, I could do with a bit more quantity though :-) Be sure to book your dinner table a few hours in advance.

Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Alkis_Ieromonachou
Reviewed 20 January 2013

My wife and I stayed at Helga's Folly for 3 nights opting for the 1/2 board, which included breakfast and dinner.
The Folly is unlike anywhere else I've seen and is a fantastic place to slow down and relax for a few days. Staying there is much more like being in somone's home than being in a hotel, and indeed that's what the Folly is, Helda's extaordinary home.
This is not a place to stay for the unadventurous, the unimaginative or the jaded cynic. It is a place with heart and soul. A place of light heartedness, whimsy and fun. Every afternoon and evening visitors come for a drink and or a meal and many, I thought seem to wish they had stayed.
The food, service and tour information were excellent and our room was beautifully decorated and refreshingly devoid of tv, wifi or other silly distractions.
When I first started travelling over 25 years ago there were no travel guides to many of the places I visited and travel was much more an adventure than it is today. Nowadays I do use guide books, but only for a general overview. On the few occaisions I've succumbed to their recommendations, I've been disappointed. For those who still like their travel experiences to have a sense of unprefabricated fun and are happy to step away from the cyberbworld for a few days, Helga's is the ideal place.
Helga's is old school cool.

Room Tip: If you go 1/2 board you will get a superior room.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank David T
Reviewed 18 January 2013

We had a lovely meal and cocktails here! We enjoyed the decor and ambience. The food was fantastic and the bar staff made us drinks that weren't on the menu.
Definitely recommend a visit, apparently the rooms are very nice too

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Heidiblum
Reviewed 15 January 2013

We went to Helga's Folly after reading about it in LP. We intended to just have a drink and a nosey round. It turned out to be our best night in Sri Lanka. It's a fascinating, crazy place and you can spend ages walking around and exploring the madness.

We ended up staying for dinner, as did the other 2 couples that had just popped along for a drink. The food was delicious (thanks to Helga's personal chefs), much better than a lot of the food we have had at other tourist places along the way in Sri Lanka and much better value for money.

As we were eating Helga came out and spoke to all of the guests which was great.

It is such a fascinating (slightly spooky place) and if you like anything a bit weird or wacky, you must definitely check it out.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple