“Afternoon Tea”
Review of Helga's Folly

Helga's Folly
Ranked #21 of 58 Hotels in Kandy
Reviewed 25 March 2014

An absolute must for anyone with an open mind ,a love of colour ,fabrics and an interest in social history. We were entranced from the minute we arrived ,and found all the rooms shown to us a fascinating mixture of beautiful fabrics, decorative wall paintings and furnishings. The staff were friendly and helpful .Truly an adult fantasy ,not for those though who prefer the sterility of modern hotels. Would definitely visit again.

Room Tip: We only popped in for afternoon tea but were shown lots of the bedrooms, glorious colours with moder...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Judy E

Reviewed 12 March 2014

you should go not only for a drink, but better for a lovely, amazing, fantastic diner or better even, go to stay there one or more nights but i didn't try the hotel. Only the restaurant is already a brilliant experience of one of my ever better evening with friends and delicious food. Thanks Helga for this and for the phone discussion !

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Antooiine
Reviewed 26 February 2014

The decor ,a bric à brac ,with nothing really impressive ,but a packed athmosphere ,overtakes the importance of food ,uninteresting and poor .At Kandy town, nice restaurants are popping up with
much valuable food served in fine relaxed athmosphere.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank tripalmenara
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

We went in a group to Helgas Folly one evening in feb. We had the private dinning room upstairs. The atmosphere was amazing and the building is so interesting that we all spent ages reading all the interesting pictures and articles on all the walls. Food was amazing and service great. Would go back if visiting Sri Lanka!

• Stayed: February 2014
4  Thank BHyland2013
Reviewed 21 February 2014

Serendipity brought me to this hotel as we were taking a city tour and I am very grateful for it. I took a tour of the place and was absolutely delighted! It feels like you are being allowed into the thoughts, life and heart of the owner, Helga, and it is infinitely fascinating! There is a story in every corner, each photo makes you stare and wonder. You can’t see the walls as they are all covered by colors and ornaments and paintings and life – really feels like the walls are alive. I was lucky, I saw Helga in her garden and, not wanting to intrude, went over to tell her quickly how in awe I was of her place and got the warmest hello and even got a tour and heard the stories straight from her. I wasn’t wrong about these walls – they held many memories, stories: joy, pain, life, death and heartbreak.

I took a look at the rooms too – just as funky and wild as the rest of the place. I feel like staying here will be like removing yourself from the rest of the world and is an inspiring change from staying in any other place where you can lay your head on a pillow. This will definitely be where I stay next time I am in Kandy.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank BiancaBasak
Reviewed 19 February 2014

We came here for our Christmas Dinner, Christmas Day (evening). Probably the strangest Christmas dinner I've ever had. I like one reviewer's description of a Dali-esque hotel but my first impressions turned more gothic as it was pretty dark with huge candle towers of wax burning around the place. Plus the music piping through the rooms was something like Gregorian monks chanting. My daughters were a little freaked out at first but then relaxed into the atmosphere of the place.
I also think another reviewer's suggestion to think of the place as a homestay is really good as I can see what they mean about it not being a spic and span boutique hotel. A little shabby round the edges, but that's what gives it character. You couldn't sit down and plan the decor and character of such a place - it's just evolved over the years, and must be such a part of what Helga is about too.
We spent ages walking around the place, marveling at all the stuff on the walls, ceilings, floor, etc. Not a corner is left unfilled.
Helga came to meet us briefly - a charming, interesting character whom I would love to have a chin wag with over one of those famous gin and tonics. Our major disappointment which wasn't actually their fault at all was that it was a 'dry day' hence no booze! On Christmas Day!
My girls loved Helga and we were presented with little silver boxes as presents, which was really sweet.
The food was just OK really. We got the feeling that the main Christmas dinner had taken place the day before (as often happens in Europe, German etc) and that we were getting the leftovers. I was expecting more from having read the reviews, so it was a slight shame there.
Would we actually come and stay here? Well, possibly. It isn't cheap from what I recall. But it would certainly be an amazing experience. We did really like the place - there was definitely something special about it.
I can't believe we missed seeing the pool fairy - she looks cool!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank JSCandCO
Reviewed 11 February 2014

If your hearts desire is perfect plumbing and homogeneous hotel rooms please do not book a stay at Helga’s Folly!
If however you desire an experience ‘Like no other’ in a ‘Land like no other’ I urge you to book a room and stop a few nights or longer at this most extraordinary wonderland nestled in the Kandian Hills..
Madam Helga thank you for welcoming the world and his wife .... Giving them the opportunity to step into your home to experience and absorb the Folly’s history, stories and eclectic decor..... To wander the labyrinth of rooms displaying their one-off works of art is a joy for the folk who ‘Get It’!!!
The Jane Lillian Vance grotto is a place to ponder - admire the Grotto’s vibrant and meaningful masterpieces .. to reflect on the essence of our very being. It is a truly beautiful and poignant corner to rest a while.
Alice and I stepped into this ‘Wonderland’ that is Madam Helga’s home, to be touched by its magic and to embrace being ‘Folly Children’ ...

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family